1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

So many high po programmer and intake options..I need help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:37 AM
resonance530
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many high po programmer and intake options..I need help.

So I'm ready to start juicing up my 99 7.3, and have begun with open 4" exhaust. My next two mods are going to be open air box, and a reprogrammer, but am feeling a little overwhelmed by all the options. For starters, my truck is an early 99 model (manufacture date of june 98) so it has the early airbox style. Will any upgraded replacement air intake fit, or do I have to hunt down a rarer model?

Once that's done, there are so many programmer options. To narrow the field, is there any manufacturer people have had problems with, or do they all do what they say without blowing up the occasional motor? I used to be into fuel injected gas engines, and heard a lot about certain chips wreaking havoc on motors. Some experienced input please.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:23 AM
cnd999
Senior User
Mine has a build date of Nov 98 so I had the updated airbox so don`t know if you need any additional mods to do the Napa pn 6637/ Kwik/mod. I ripped out the leaking, constricted box that holds your stock filter and added this free-breathing one.Many posts about this.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:33 AM
cnd999
Senior User
Sorry, hit enter too fast. There are many programmers and chips to choose from, do some research on this site it is well worth the effort. I am among the many who have the Diablo Predator installed. It all depends what you are looking to gain from a chip/programmer. I am very happy with my choice.This thing created a monster in throttle response and overall performance. When I go back to the stock tune it`s like I got in someone elses truck, I wouldn`t go back.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:05 AM
convincor
Senior User
I also have the early 99. Went with the AIS filter. There is a different hose from the box to turbo. Most guy's who sell the filter have them.
I just got the year end sale flyer from Banks. Think I may go with the 6 Gun Bundle.
Running dead kitty w/BTM now. No other mods. Yet.....

Old 11-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
Don't forget guages. A Pyrometer is the most important, than a transmission temperature guage, and finally a boost guage is fun to watch and see how high you can make it go.
Have you thought about the transmission cooler?
The Sonnax or the Transgo Tugger to strengthen it inside?

Also if you want to get serious about making power, get a flip chip. They are more tailor made for you individual truck and do a better job than a programmer. They also cost more.
I chose the Diablo Predator. The power gains are far more than I will ever be able to use and it has an impressive diagnostic capability if the need should arise. It works great as far as I am concerned.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:59 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cnd999
Mine has a build date of Nov 98 so I had the updated airbox so don`t know if you need any additional mods to do the Napa pn 6637/ Kwik/mod. I ripped out the leaking, constricted box that holds your stock filter and added this free-breathing one.Many posts about this.
Yeah, 46637 from Fleetfilter is probably the cheapest option, and in my opinion probably the best as far as price goes for what you get. I have an older Superchip in mine and am thinking about getting a diablo predetor based on the diagnostic capabilities that it has.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:14 AM
johnny8
Postmaster
just to echo kwik's advice... GET GAUGES..! you HAVE to be able to monitor your engine temps... and if you have an auto and do ANY towing, you will NEED to keep an eye on tranny temps or it won't last... most of the guys with the auto tranny put the sonnax kit in... helps the tranny shift better and put the power on the ground... i have it in mine and i wouldn't want to drive this truck without it..!

edit: btw.. if you look at the list of stuff i have done to my truck... the total bill for all these mods is around $1200... that's alot less than i thought i was gonna spend and my mule runs AWESOME..! i run the 85hp tune on my predator as my dailly setting... and the 40hp tow tune when i pull the 5ver...

Last edited by johnny8; 11-27-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:47 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just added the Edge Evolution to my fleet, i thought it was pretty cool. it has alot of options. 60,80,100 hp tunes, a full diagnostic mode that retreives codes AND explains what they mean. it also has a real-time diagnostic page where it shows you current readings, such as engine temp, exhaust backpressure, etc, things you would have to work hard for to find a gauge to put on the truck. plus like other tuners, it is REMOVABLE. when you need to take it in the dealer, load the stock program back on, and then erase the codes. no signs of a power enhancer added on!

also another neat feature of the evolution that i enjoyed reading about, was the fact that it can take 0-60 times, and an accurate 1/4 mile time. just leave it plugged in, and go for your best time. i just remembered- it will remove the speed limiter (97mph), and rev limiter (i believe 3400rpm), and can compensate for tire size changes! i havent figured out how to compensate for tire sizes, but i will soon. the "race" and "extreme" settings automatically remove the limiters.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
That Edge sounds like a nice unit Strokin_it.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:34 PM
nosubfordiesel
New User
I also just got my new edge evolution and love it. The extreme is really extreme. I have done the 6637 mod and a 4inch turbo back. I think these are the best mods that you can do gor the money.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:55 AM
bowedup2003
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the guy who posted above thinking about getting the Banks SixGun, I would reccomend exploring other options. I just bought an older Hypertech programmer that gives more power than my SixGun does (as measured by seat of pants feel). Also the digital displays have been known to act up.

Bowedup

Old 11-28-2005, 10:18 AM
blhfla
Senior User
Originally Posted by johnny8
edit: btw.. if you look at the list of stuff i have done to my truck... the total bill for all these mods is around $1200... that's alot less than i thought i was gonna spend and my mule runs AWESOME..! i run the 85hp tune on my predator as my dailly setting... and the 40hp tow tune when i pull the 5ver...
johnny8 - Your mod list looks like what I will probably do and the price is right. Would you mind elaborating the list - I don't know the manufacturers of them all or where to get the info. I just got my 99 F250 4X4 SD over Thanksgiving from Vermont (man was it COLD up there) and am anxious to start the upgrades. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:11 PM
convincor
Senior User
Originally Posted by bowedup2003
For the guy who posted above thinking about getting the Banks SixGun, I would reccomend exploring other options. I just bought an older Hypertech programmer that gives more power than my SixGun does (as measured by seat of pants feel). Also the digital displays have been known to act up.

Bowedup
There's been recent post about the display not reading with the cold weather, but once the cab is warmed there is no ploblem.
Any other issues???

Old 11-28-2005, 05:56 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by blhfla
johnny8 - Your mod list looks like what I will probably do and the price is right. Would you mind elaborating the list - I don't know the manufacturers of them all or where to get the info. I just got my 99 F250 4X4 SD over Thanksgiving from Vermont (man was it COLD up there) and am anxious to start the upgrades. Thanks.
ok... here is the list with a quick comment on each:

wastegate mod: this is a FREE mod..! simply unplug your wastegate actuator and plug the red hose on the end of a clamp bolt, this prevents the wastegate from being opened until the pressure of the boost overcomes the spring in the actuator that keeps the wastegate closed... with my stock setup i could only get 17 psi of boost, after i unplugged the actuator i was able to make 22 psi of boost... that 5 lbs of boost does make a difference, but the real difference is how FAST your mule will build boost when you add a tuner....

"kwik" filter upgrade: wix #46637 filter, got it from fleetfilter.com, site sponser, inexpensive upgrade from your stock piece of junk airbox, flows TONS of air, filters very well, the SOUNDS you hear your turbo make are AWESOME..! some modifications may be needed to make it fit onto your truck...

walker Big Truck Muffler (BTM): good way to upgrade your exhaust without spending big $... got this from blackclouddiesel.com, very cost effective, if you have an auto, you probably do not have a catylitic converter, but you have a VERY restrictive muffler, the BTM replaces that muffler, it is a BIG flow through design and it works very well, not too much louder than stock, helped lower my egts while towing....

dipricol gauges: analog black backlit green and colors, from blackclouddiesel.com, a site sponser, match my stocks gauges very well, GET GAUGES FIRST..! you MUST be able to monitor your engine and tranny temps, and the boost gauge is just good to have to keep track of what it is doing...

sonnax tri-cumilator spring tranny upgrade: this is one of the best mods i have done.... this makes the tranny shift like it should.. firm solid quick shifts with very little slippage, that slippage that the tranny originally had was the cause of increased heat, especially while towing, and can cause premature tranny failure...

tru-cool low pressure drop tranny cooler 24k lb rating: this additional cooler helped get my tranny temps under control when i would tow my 5ver in the heat, i could get the tranny temps up over 200 degrees easilly before i installed this, afterwards i really had to pull a long steep hill to get the temps above 180, most of the time i would run around 150, a MUST add if you do ANY towing in the heat of the summer.....

diablo predator tuner: i got this from motorhaven, site sponser, this is the KEY to making more power..! i run the 85hp tune for dailly driving, and the 40hp tune for towing... once you get one of these, you won't ever want to drive a stock truck again..! BUT..! let me warn you... you do this LAST..! if you get one of these, and you still have a stock intake and exhaust and no gauges, you will end up with SCRAP METAL under your hood where your engine used to be..!

superior (wicked) wheel: this is the turbo wheel on the compressor side, i got this from blackclouddiesel.com also, i got this to help minimize the "turbo flutter" that i was getting when i was towing my 5ver, i had a terrible case of flutter/stall and this wheel really helped... it almost completely eliminated the problem, if you don't tow anything really heavy you may not need to do this...

i hope this helps... i put these mods in the order i would reccomend you get them... sorry for the long post guys... i tried to keep it simple... you all KNOW i could have talked more about each one...!

edit: sorry, forgot one mod, the dual relief valve mod for the map sensor: this dual valve that i got from blackclouddiesle.com releases the boost pressure from the line that goes to the map sensor so it never sees any boost above 22 psi... that way you never get the overboost code if you run more boost than that... this is good because if the computer throws that code, it will de-fuel your motor and you'll lose power when you need it most..!

Last edited by johnny8; 11-28-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:20 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
I also have the Diablo Predator and I am very happy with it. The 100 HP is ridiculous. I can't keep it on the ground w/ my non-posi rear end ..... I plan on upgrading to one of Jody Tipton's flip chips but I will probably keep the Predator as a code reader. That comes in handy not only on the Powerstroke but on any other vehicle with the OBD-II diagnostic port.

Quick Reply: So many high po programmer and intake options..I need help.