1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Best mods you ever did to your Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 09:20 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Best mods you ever did to your Ranger?

What have you guys and gals done that you loved? Things that helped a great bit on anything, changed it for the better, or just downright impressed you?

I redid the sound system, was a big thing for me, and changed a couple of minor things in the cab to my own taste.

Old 11-25-2005, 12:18 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My gallery is labeled "Dono's Toy" because that's what it is. When I sold my last ground-up project, a '60 Triumph TR3 roadster, I vowed that it was my last rebuild and I would just play around with my truck with no goals or specifics ..... just one small project after another on my own schedule. I just finished adding driving lights to the valence yesterday and I purchased a pair of leather seats from an '04 Altima which should be here by the weekend. I have added an Explorer overhead console and will build my own center console or use one from an Explorer. I had planned on Explorer seats for the easy installation, but most were too high priced and over 5 years old. I'll have to adapt the seats (like new) to the Ranger mounts, but my tape measure tells me it can be done. I'll be pulling the seats and floor mat tomorrow (Which, by the way are like new and for sale). When I'm finished I'll add to my gallery.
Dono

Old 11-25-2005, 09:34 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Pretty cool, anyone else?

Old 11-26-2005, 12:54 AM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So far, the best mod is disconnected DRL.

The most useful was the class 3 hitch and brake controller.

Old 11-26-2005, 02:02 AM
MemphisSenior
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really like the 18" wheels & tires I've got, think they improve the looks and the ride. removed 3rd brake from the top of cab. Think it gives the truck a cleaner look. Next on the list are the Explorer buckets that have been sitting in my garage patiently waiting for me to find the time to install them. Numerous other things. Look at my gallery to see them all.

Old 11-26-2005, 06:55 AM
dsldandually
Senior User
Mustang 5.0HO hands down the best thing for a ranger

Old 11-26-2005, 09:31 AM
kontai69
Senior User
Installing a SnugTop hard tonneau cover is probably the most practical mod I did to my truck. Here is a pic...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...80_48_full.jpg

See my webpage for the dozen plus other mods I've done to my Ranger...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/621380/1

Last edited by kontai69; 11-26-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ranger mods are all fairly modest, but they have increased my enjoyment of the truck by a considerable degree:

1. Lund Front Bug Deflector - Quite honestly, I like the look of my Ranger better without it, so I don't always have it on the truck. If I'm going on a long highway trip during the the summer, then I'll put it on. It was my first Ranger "mod" so I feel I should mention it here;

2. Wade Bed Rail Caps - My Ranger came with the a nice Ford Duraliner, but it fits "under the rails" meaning it does not offer the rail protection like some other liners do. These caps are a nice addition for both looks and preventing scratches;

3. AutoShade Vent Visors - I had these professionally installed as part of their purchase. Great not only at keeping out the rain and snow but also filtering out the high sun. They look sharp, too;

4. Speaker Upgrade - Replaced the stock junkers with some decent Kenwoods in front and higher end Infinity's in the rear. This really should have been the first mod I ever did, since it's easy enough and makes a big difference in sound quality and listening pleasure;

5. Explorer Seats - I got really lucky and practically fell into a pair of power leather Eddy Bauer Ex seats for real cheap at a local junkyard. Absolutely love them.

6. Explorer Overhead Console - I was grabbing this at the junkyard out of an EB Explorer when I noticed the seats. I have the console and wiring sitting here but have not yet had the opportunity to intall it in my Ranger (seats had to go in first).

7. Tailgate Cable Bolt - This is a very handy and extremely easy (and cheap) mod which means it's a great idea. I first heard of it from FTE member 2K3 Mach. What you do is replace the top bolt on each tailgate latch (on the bed side) with the same type of bolt found on the bottom of the latch (the one that holds the cable). As a result of this mod, you now have an adjustable tailgate. By unhooking the cables off the lower bolt and hooking them back onto the higher bolt, that leaves the tailgate at an upward angle so you can haul long items and they won't slide out. Part # N806909S100 at the dealer (a few bucks each) or just grab some at the junkyard like I did.

That's it I guess. It's all I can think of for now, anyway.

Last edited by Rockledge; 11-26-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:05 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Cool all of you. Memphis, did you fill the holes in where the 3rd brake light was or what? I guess the question is how did you go about doing it?
Rock I'm gonna do that tailgate thing, I don't do lots of towing or putting stuff in the bed, but I like the idea! Thank you all.

Old 11-27-2005, 01:14 AM
devilsword
Senior User
hmm i really don't have a favorite.. i love my arrostarr grill cross-bread, i moved the speakers out of the dash and ran it all from the doors and bed...installed 2 highs in fron't of the passenger seat...flofit seats even though they were the wrong color...my first welding job was on a hidden hitch with a costom license plate holder.... eww and my projector headlights(just last night my aunt drove behind me with her lights off becaus eshe said mine were bright enough for 3 cars)....hmmmmand i geus the custom cold air intake i made. i know its not just one item but these are the things that i did my self or built form scratch so i geuss i will always have a special attachment to them

Old 11-27-2005, 01:25 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
I'm gonna do an intake out of PVC.

Call me redneck, proud of it.

Old 11-27-2005, 01:58 AM
devilsword
Senior User
haha i made mine out of heating duck and wraped it in copper pipe insulator. concidering it runs up next to the up radiator hose its neevr gets warm to the touch and for 20 buchs to works like a 400 injen

Old 11-27-2005, 01:59 AM
devilsword
Senior User
but that doesn't mean were redneck though it could mean we are gehtto or just too damn cheep

Old 11-27-2005, 05:37 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
I'm gonna do an intake out of PVC.

Call me redneck, proud of it.
Not sure if you've seen this link:

http://www.geocities.com/drewcoffey/Truck/airintake.htm

Old 11-27-2005, 08:02 AM
MemphisSenior
Senior User
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
Memphis, did you fill the holes in where the 3rd brake light was or what? I guess the question is how did you go about doing it?
Yes the holes were filled in. I took the truck to a body shop as I no longer have access to the tools necessary to do this kind of work. They charged $400 for the job. The price included removing the light and filling in the holes. Then installing the spoiler and painting everything. The shops here in So. Calif charge about $85-90 hr for labor, so figure about 4 hours to do the job if you have the tools and knowledge.

Heres a link to the finished job. The photo is in my public profile.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=96641&width=2

Quick Reply: Best mods you ever did to your Ranger?