300 Torque Increase

Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Vladimir Hyde
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300 Torque Increase

anyone know any techniques or have any suggestions on how to gain torque in the 300cid?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Brett1989
Senior User
header, camshaft, intake the usual stuff for most engines. try cliffordperformance, they have some stuff and offenhauser has some good intakes. Pretty much any cam company makes a cam for the 300 I have heard crane cams has some good ones.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:02 AM
rswhitmore
Senior User
If you are looking for something low-cost and don't want to modify the engine internally, improvements in engine breathing will increase your torque. Reduce exhaust restriction with one of the high-flow mufflers and turn the exhaust out before the rear axle. A low restriction air filter such as a K&N will also help engine breathing. As a test pick a hill that tends to bogg the engine down in top gear, make the breathing improvements and try the hill again. You will notice the difference.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:36 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Turbocharger...

Old 10-26-2007, 08:33 AM
SR_Crewchief
Senior User
Vlad,

We need a little more info. Like...where in the power range your looking for the incease?

Presume that your referencing your EFI 88. That is going to be your major restriction, unless you have cracked the computers control tables.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Vladimir Hyde
Senior User
probably low band because im going to be offroading with this truck i need it to push me over rocks and the like, as far as camshafts go im going to be needing to change out other components as well wont i? and im already looking at the new 300 headers that clifford has and side blow exhaust has been the norm on this truck for a while, it had a 90's explorer muffler on it but i took that off to put on "Beast", ill be replacing it with flowmaster's new super 44... also clifford has an FI throttle body kit for the 300, does anyone know if that only applys to carbs to start or can you go from stock fi to the throttle body, if so does anyone think its worth the 1000+ dollars for the kit?>>>

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Cod e=43-8000&Category_Code=F300

Last edited by Vladimir Hyde; 10-26-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:08 AM
SR_Crewchief
Senior User
Unless Clifford ahs changes things recently, that is for converting carb'd engines to FI.

Cam, I'd stick with something smaller than a 260.

You've already got a good torque, but maybe a little bit higher CR will help.

What gears do you ahve? Odd's a better than even that they are either 3.08's or 3.55's and open. Change that to friendlier off-road ratio's and at least limited slip, if not lockers, and you should be able to play offroad all day long.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I was going to build a FI 300 from the ground up for wheelin' I wouldn't stray too far from stock. Maybe up the compression with a set of earlier models, add some headers and a small cam. The Comp 260 would be a good choice combined with some 1.73 roller rockers. Harland Sharp makes a set for the Ford 3.8 V6 that should work nicely. I've got stock 3.8 rockers in my truck, so there isn't any reason the HS's shouldn't work for you. Complement all of that with a mildly ported head and you should be looking at around 350-360 ft-lbs from just off idle through 3000-3200 rpm and around 200-220 hp somewhere between 3500 and 4000. That would be a very fun engine on the street, trail or rocks.

Save yourself some money and don't buy anything from Clifford. They don't have anything that you can't get elsewhere for a lot less money.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Vladimir Hyde
Senior User
wow, is there a link you can forward me for that cam/rocker set? and also is there anywhere else you know of for the headers to changeout my manifolds like on clifford cause id rather not pay their $400

Old 10-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running Heddman's and there are others out there. You can get them for under $200. Mine were $119 when I bought them many years ago.

In my ealier post where it says "Maybe up the compression with a set of earlier models" it should say "Maybe up the compression with a set of earlier model pistons".

Old 10-26-2007, 05:46 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
If you invest in a turbo and FMU, your looking at around 250hp and 450lb/ft of torque off of idle with your stock components at 12 psi. Thats better than any NA upgrade out there.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:57 PM
rswhitmore
Senior User
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
If you invest in a turbo and FMU, your looking at around 250hp and 450lb/ft of torque off of idle with your stock components at 12 psi. Thats better than any NA upgrade out there.
He's right, and you would probably have better drivability than with the cam and other modifications. The turbo may not cost much more than you were thinking about spending on the throttle body fuel injection system. Decisions, decisions!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:27 AM
SR_Crewchief
Senior User
Guys,

If he's currently stock EFI, which his listed project truck is, turbochargering isn't an easy proposition. The Ford SD ECU's don't play nice with boost. Especially since the 300cid/4.9l programs haven't been cracked for table setups. You need a lot more than an FMU to add a turbo to NA/SD/MFI application.

But if he has the funds($1200+) for an aftermarket system(for example AccelDFI) then that is an option. On top of that he's stated that the plan, currently, is for a rpm range which turbos are natoriously poor in.

It's a lot easier to get low in performance gains in an already NA motor by helping it breath easier and bumping the compression a little than to use a turbo in a 'stock' configuration.

What SS has laid out will get most of what Vlad is looking for. The only downside is again the computer. Without being able to give the computer different control tables you can't do things like move to larger injectors to take advantage of the full range of a new cam. With the stock injectors, or larger ones with the rail pressures dropped, top end is limited to around 180-190hp at the flywheel.

I'm all ears if someone has cracked the 300's programs and can manipulate the table values.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:56 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SR_Crewchief
Guys,

...You need a lot more than an FMU to add a turbo to NA/SD/MFI application...
This is simply not true. There are hundreds, if not thousands of SD mustangs out there running stock computers with FMU's on boosted applications. You dont even have to touch the computer. An adjustable FMU makes tuning things a little easier, but you dont have to completely have the most perfect tune to run boost, If he keeps his foot out of it, the driveability will remain stock, and when he lays into it, the FMU will do all he needs it to.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Vladimir Hyde
Senior User
but wouldnt just throwing a turbocharger on there throw everything off and potentially damage my engine without upgrading everything else?? and aside from that i didnt even know they made turbo applications for the L6, plus im trying to keep a low fund rate

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 300 Torque Increase