Sponsored by: Moser

This truck is one tough SOB!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 04:51 PM
FE Power
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up This truck is one tough SOB!

Now I am one of those guys that rides his truck hard and puts her away wet. I was 4 wheeling on my property and I was going through some really thick brush in 4 high and second gear. Making about 10mph pushing down brush with my front bumper. Well I found our creek, I was tooling along and then the brush cleared, front end went down and the truck fell 9 feet into a dry creek bed. Damage: drivers side headlight fell out and was dangling by the harness, and I got some wicked pin striping down the side from the branches. So now I have to figure out how to climb a 9 foot near vertical grade in my truck. I walk a little ways and find a spot where it 45's out through some Mesquite. Got the Ford turned around with what had to be a 20 point turn and proceeded to make the climb. First I figured I'd put her in 4 low and 1st and let her walk up it. No such luck, tires broke loose. So I backed up a little ways and put the t-case in 4 high, selected second and dropped the hammer. Hit the slope at 30 in second and the mesquite at a good 20. Charged through the mesquite and found our boulders. Despite some desperate evading maneuvers I still hit a boulder hard with the front passenger side. Damage: blew the bead off the tire. Reseated it with starting fluid, put in a can of fix a flat, inflated the tire with my air compressor. Also the fender is pushed in a little bit. Got the truck back to the house and surveyed the total damage, one headlight is in-op, some more body damage, engine sounds fine, no new leaks, no funny noises, everything shifts good, truck tracks straight. This by far has to the toughest truck I've ever owned. It's also super simple to work on. For example the switch that controls my fan went out. So I took off the power wire to the blower motor, put on a spade connector and until the new switch comes in when I want heat I just stick the connector to the battery terminal. The connector for my ignition system off the solenoid came loose, the connector was shot. Stripped off the wire, wrapped it around the post and she got me home. I put on a ring connector and put a nut on the stud to hold it in. This truck rocks.

Old 11-24-2005, 05:29 PM
4starcstms
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds fun! I couldnt do that to my truck. Ive spent too many dollars and hours fixin prior 'rode hard and put away wet' damage

Old 11-24-2005, 06:26 PM
FE Power
Senior User
I checked your gallery, your 75 Highboy is looking pretty good. I'm assuming it's a custom since it has the same stripes mine does. Mine is also orange although I think it was red originally. Those cab lights look great, got a part #?

Old 11-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Rusty_76
New User
My truck has benn through the same stuff as yours. they can get beat to a pulp and still ready for more. My beast is a '76 ford f-150 with a two inch lift and 33.5" tires and it has never benn stuck! I absolutly love this truck. It has given me many headaches (control arm, front hubs transmission,clutch.....ect.) but i still love it. I have had it swimming in five feet of water and she never died (until i got out). It's a beast and i love it.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:01 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
i know its all fun and games and its just my opinion but i dont think these old fords need to be treated like that, there aint enough of em around anymore. ive done my share of muddin in my 79 f150 daily driver(in gallery) but after a $1000 tranny rebuild i said it aint worth it. itll be starting the restoration process next summer or fall.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:34 AM
thesprocket26
Posting Guru
My truck is a POS with no hope of winning any awards. I think it has earned its right to be beaten. Use every last part on it untill it has to go to the recycle yard.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:37 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Got to love old fords. I've gone through some pretty rough stuff in my truck, and always get out and keep on going, but my buddys with chevys brake down or get stuck in the middle of all the mess.

I agree with rebel_ford4x4, don't trash your truck, but don't turn it into a trailer queen.
Also rebel make sure you keep your truck as a daily driver if you don't want to off road it after you restore it.

Old 11-25-2005, 11:18 AM
FE Power
Senior User
My truck isn't a total POS, I think if I threw a LMC body panel catalog at it it could be straight again. Long as its mechanically sound I'm happy with it, for now. Someday I'll fix it up. For now though I just enjoy it, running a 125 shot of NOS on the 352FE I have under the hood, four wheel it hard, work it hard on my property, and drive it to work a few days a week. This truck is a combination toy, four wheeler, and tractor. Since sun up this morning she's been felling trees to clear out a spot for another pole barn I can use as a small shop. I'd cut down a tree with a chain saw, wrap a chain around the trunk, other end to the shackle in the reciever hitch then yank the tree 1/4 mile away to cut it down as firewood. Cleared 12 trees so far in this manner and some of those trees we're no joke. 2 of em were real old oak trees I couldn't wrap my arms around and measured 75 feet tall. She still pulled em in 4 low granny. After lunch it's stump pulling duty and then it'll be time to start clearing down brush. Tomorrow she'll get a break since we're going to Dallas to go new truck shopping.

Old 11-25-2005, 11:22 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If it works and it's not a chevy then why you calling it a POS?
I'd say it's a good work an play truck!

Old 11-25-2005, 04:33 PM
FE Power
Senior User
I didn't call it a POS, just the body. I think the roof is still straight though...