Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Banks Six Gun acting up when it is freezing outside

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 04:33 PM
El Gato
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Six Gun acting up when it is freezing outside

Banks Six Gun acting up when it is freezing. My display screen looks like jumbled numbers until I warm up my cab. Any of you experience this?

Old 11-23-2005, 06:20 PM
BadFord99
Senior User
Originally Posted by El Gato
Banks Six Gun acting up when it is freezing. My display screen looks like jumbled numbers until I warm up my cab. Any of you experience this?

I never had any issues like that when I had my six-gun. If it is still under warranty, I would talk to Banks and see if they will replace it.

Old 11-23-2005, 09:06 PM
El Gato
Senior User
I have it under warranty. Banks has already fixed it with a part that eliminated my error code.

Old 11-23-2005, 09:10 PM
BadFord99
Senior User
Not sure what else to tell you other than maybe check all your connections.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:25 AM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not real familiar with the Banks - but I'd bet that the LCD screen is getting too cold? I know when I was using an SCMT - there was a warning in the owners manual about NOT to leave the tuner in your truck when it was below freezing, as it could mess up the display. But from what I've seen - it's not like the six-gun is removeable like a tuner is??

Old 11-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Wings
Senior User
Originally Posted by CAT_man_963
I'm not real familiar with the Banks - but I'd bet that the LCD screen is getting too cold?
I am with you CAT-man. I am sure there is an operating temperature of the liquid crystal display, (LIQUID). I have seen this kind of effect on even calculators in my garage when I am working projects when it is Winter type cold out there. Warned up the device with my hand and it works just fine.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:23 AM
El Gato
Senior User
Hey guys the Banks 6 Gun is not removeable. Maybe I will put a glove over it to keep it warm. I really think it is a LCD cyrstal issue. New Mexico might get down to zero and I know there are many more states with sub-zero weather out there.

Old 11-24-2005, 07:26 PM
vancouverpower
Elder User
Yeah I think it's the lcd screen freezing also. This happens when I leave the cell phone in the cold. Nothing is wrong, they just don't display well in the cold.

Old 11-25-2005, 12:24 AM
El Gato
Senior User
As long as it does not damage the LCD I won't worry about it.

Old 11-25-2005, 07:13 AM
convincor
Senior User
Are you guy's otherwise happy with the "6 Gun" tuner???

Old 11-25-2005, 09:31 AM
El Gato
Senior User
You know, I am very happy. Shift on the fly is great... There are a lot of Banks haters, but they have always backed up there product. We all know you pay a little more, but we must realize they have been doing diesel business for two or three times longer then its competitors. I don't race my truck all the time, but sometimes you need that little extra to eat those Chebbys for lunch.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Wings
Senior User
Banks tuners are good products, a little pricey, but still good. I have met Gale or his crew a few times out at the dry lakes and that Dodge is a real killer on the lake bed. My friend Joey has a 6 gun in is PSD hauler and it really works well. I use the Edge EZ only because it is just that, an EZ 60 horse power and great for towing and the best thing is that I never pull and SES codes ever.

Old 11-25-2005, 10:43 AM
convincor
Senior User
Wings,
I'm wondering if I would be better off with a setup like yours (Edge EZ).
Mostly looking for something to help with towing and mileage.

El Gato,
I agree with your thoughts on Banks products. Theve been around for a long time.
Been doing a lot of shopping around and there right in line with everyone else with prices.

Old 11-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Wings
Senior User
The EZ takes less than 20 minutes to intalll, mounts under the hood. I like the way it works for pulling. Uses pin settings for HP, you set what you want. 30,50 or 60 HP. I set mine at 60 and have never had any problems. I believe it is 60 real wheel HP. I have read that 60 is about the max you want to go for towing. I don't use an indash programmer because I just know me, If it is easily availabe I will use it. I just don't need the temptation at the wrong time. One thing, do not do any upgrades without guages at least and you won't believe what you get from a turbo back and intake addition as well. The Banks 6 Gun is near the same price untill you add all the additional hardware that makes it monitor the EGTs, Boost levels ect. The Edge EZ uses the stock ECM for defueling. I get plus or minus 11 mpg when towing and that is up and down grades, but we all know that we all drive differently, and around 18 empty. Another thing is you can add additional tuners later if your needs and budget allows.

Old 11-25-2005, 12:02 PM
convincor
Senior User
Don't mean to hijack your thread El Gato.

Right now I'm running a AIS filter, dead kitty with a BTM. Trans is already built and has a billet converter.
I just sold my boat and want to do something with the truck.
I can get the six gun bundle from US Diesel for $1500. I had talked direct with Banks a while back and could get it from them, take out there filter and transcommand.
When I got that price, he said about $1200 shipped.
I would be getting the 4" exhaust, tunner, waste gate actuator. Plus with the six gun, that would be giving me gauges also. Except trans.
Sounds resonable??