Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

05/06 F350 or Dodge 3500

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 09:03 PM
EVOBRIT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05/06 F350 or Dodge 3500

I've always been a ford guy and always bought ford trucks. Had (2) 2000 F-350's Powerstroke and LOVED IT. Im back in the market again but now so much has come out and dont have a clue which to buy? I really dont like chevys nor there duramax engines.

Looking for a fully loaded truck, example:

F-350 Powerstroke Lariat, 4x4, crew cab

or

Dodge 3500 Cummins Laramie Mega cab

I am mainly looking for a good overall long haul, powerful, comfortable and be able to tow snowmobile trailers as well as gooseneck trailers, which to consider? TIA

Old 11-20-2005, 09:23 PM
dieselpwr
Senior User
No brainer, go with the Ford!

I own a Ford, and I've had over 20 hours of seat time in a 2005 Dodge 3500 Laramie 4-door.

IN MY OPINION- The Dodge does not do ANYTHING better than the Ford-
EXCEPT have a shorter turning radius.

The ride is the same on both trucks, power is the same (although Dodges power is much smoother because it makes power much lower ather than having to spool up like the Ford)
They tow the same at 8k which I've towed with both.
The Dodge 4-Speed is crap compared to the TorqueShift.

It comes down to things that you like.
I personally hate the Neonish interior of the Ram-Even the Laramie. The window switches and door lock buttons remind me of a Neon rental.
So many little things that are diffrent other aside from all the major things.
Drive both trucks and see which one YOU like better.

I dobut you'll be dissapointed with either truck, but I know you'll LOVE the Ford.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:19 PM
EVOBRIT
New User
theres a lot of nice GMC 2500 Duramax Sierras lifted 2006 conversion pkg's for sale right by my house, should I even look at GM?

Old 11-21-2005, 12:10 AM
dieselpwr
Senior User
I would honestly go and drive each truck and take a good time reading about and reaserching each one before making a desicion.

In regards to GM- sure you can look at them. They bring just as much to the table as Ford or Dodge.
Set up a day to go and test drive each truck and then go home and go over things you liked and disliked about each truck. Try and see which one fits you and your needs the best.
Narrow it down and then drive again- after that you'll know EXACTLY which truck you'll want to get.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:36 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if you had two superduties before an loved them you answered your own quesion. Youll be hard pressed to find anything to match the Superduty on the GM an Dodge side for sure. The Superduty is by far the best HD truck on the market today. I dont care for GMs low stance on pickups especailly the HDs way to low for me. The way I use my trucks that wouldnt work for me. Id be hitting that front bumper or getting high centered on that low hanging frame underneath the truck. An Dodge well I wont even go there. Not even worth talking about. Get the Ford youwere satisfied before you will be satisfied again. Forget the rest get the best.BTW the turning radius on the Ford has improved dramatically with the new front suspension.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:05 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
i would go ford. i do not likr the dodge trannies or build quality or gm's independent front suspension

Old 11-21-2005, 06:07 AM
jimford1
Senior User
my boss has a sierra with a duramax in it. I actually like it. It super quiet and is actually fast. But when I get into his truck its like a luxury vehicle not a work truck. I'm affraid to touch anything. I like it though, but its nothing like my cousins and uncles f-350's.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:41 AM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
just my 02 i am not a fan of the 6.0, but that is not to say there are not great ones out there, the same with dodge auto's not that there aren't reliable, i just don't trust them.

you may not like certain aspects of any truck, everything is a give and take.

everyone knows were my bias lays. but this is my .02

Old 11-21-2005, 09:25 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well hes really saying get a Ford because his Duramax wont be the motor the 6.0 is an the truck is far superior.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:50 AM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
you people read me like a book, how do you do it?

Old 11-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Mr Doug
Junior User
Ahh, the lesser of two evils ... get the 6.0 psd if you don't really need to rely on your truck being able to run all the time! Sad but true.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:44 PM
E350superduty
Senior User
I like these conversions:
http://tinyurl.com/cku25
http://tinyurl.com/c2m8p

Last edited by E350superduty; 11-21-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:22 PM
MJD
Elder User
Take a look at all three brands, thats good advice from dieselpwr. Take em for a test drive and maybe talk to people who own then to see what they have to say. Now for my personal opinion.

The Dodge and the GM both have a very good engine. The Cummins and Dmax both have a good track record and either will handle your towing duties without a sweat. The Dodge 48RE is a strong tranny, but it does not have a low 1st or reverse like the Allison does, so it is at a disadvantage. The Allison is probably a stronger tranny also, but it is a more expensive option than the Dodge auto and the GM pickup will probably cost more than the Dodge. The Mega cab cannot be had with a long bed, but since you probably want a SB CC config, not a problem.

The GM ifs will likely be just fine, but if you want a lift kit, a SFA like Ford or Dodge has might be better. I don't see the need for a lift & big tires for the average driver, but whatever floats your boat. If lifted GMs can be had at the dealer, IFS is probably less of an issue. I, the folks where I work, and many others use IFS Chevys roughly & offroad all of the time, with minimal of breakage and no trouble with high centering. Of course, if you don't want a GM, you don't want one, end of story. It seems as if everyone here assumes that you want an auto, and if you do, the GM is the way that I'd go. If you don't mind a 6-speed, a Dodge might be the ticket.

If you really want a Ford, buy one. The 6.0 is a better engine than it was in 03, but it still has issues and has not proven to be a great engine as of yet. The Superduty is a good pickup, and the entire drivetrain aside from the engine should be fine. The Torqueshift is a good tranny, sharing the advantage of more gears and lower gears with the Ally.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:45 PM
dodgeny
Senior User
here we go again. the build qualities of all three brands are about equal these days. they have to be. the competition is so fierce for market share. if you check out any of the dodge forums(which most members here won't bother-because they are above that) you would notice immediatley there are LESS posts of problems with their trucks than the other two major brands. there are pros and cons to every brand. but like stated earlier-drive all three and then decide which truck works the best for you. don't rely on somebody's opinion on this site or any other site. you will get a BIASED answer from each respective forum! By the way, if you are going to buy a ford, now is the time to do it, before the new 6.4 engine comes out with 4 egrs!!!!

Last edited by dodgeny; 11-21-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:19 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,705 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Step 1:

-Buy a F350
-Buy a Cummins engine
-Buy an Allison auto (if you want an auto)

Step 2:

Put the Cummins in the F350 and the Allison behind that.

Step 3:

Mash the go pedal and grin!