Brake pedal to the floor - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

Brake pedal to the floor

Old 05-18-2006, 02:47 PM
WAS
Freshman User
WAS is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 04 f-150 with the 5.4L lost brakes at 500 miles. I had the truck for 2 days when the brakes went out. The pedel would go to the floor, if I pumped the pedal I could come to a slow stop. I drove the truck to the dealer and they replaced the master cylinder. I have not had a problem after that. Were I you I would demand a new master cylinder. Perhaps you should go to another dealer or contact the factory rep. I was upset that a new truck with 500 miles would loose the brakes. I was luck in htat my dealer was responsive and fixed it quickly. If they had given me the ru-around I would have been truley pissed. I hape things work out for you. This is a dangerous situation.

Old 05-18-2006, 03:37 PM
imadixiegirl
New User
imadixiegirl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you for replying... the thing is - I have paperwork stating that they put in a new master cylinder at visit #2 and another new one at visit #3. I just called the dealership to check on it, and he said they haven't even gotten into the garage yet. They have given me a rental truck this time & the last 2 times (which they said they don't do - they provide courtesy rides) which leads me to believe they know it could be something beyond their control (maybe a factory defect that can't be fixed - I don't know). Any other suggestions, by chance??

Old 05-18-2006, 05:17 PM
WAS
Freshman User
WAS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check out the lemon law for your state. Here in california if your truck goes into the shop for the same issue more than (I think) 3 times without a fix you can start procedings to get the dealer to take the truck and give you your money back. If you don't want to do this you can at least threaten them with it. Also ask your dealer for the factory rep phone number. Lodge a complaint with the rep, they are required to follow up on the dealers progress with your issue. If the rep does his job right he will put preasure on the dealer to fix your truck.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:15 PM
imadixiegirl
New User
Will do... Thanks Was!

Old 05-19-2006, 11:46 AM
ReForder
Elder User
ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.
Have you noticed any brake fluid loss? if they keep replacing the master cyliner and it keeps doing it, then it's obviously not the master cylinder. It could be a brake line problem or an ABS computer issue, which I doubt if you're not getting ABS warning message in the truck. Wait, do these even have an ABS warning light?

Mine has been fine since the master cylinder cap was replaced. But the problem was worse in the very hot weather, so I'll be looking for any signs come this summer.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:52 PM
imadixiegirl
New User
Hey ReForder! Thanks. I live in Florida, so it's almost always hot!! No brake fluid loss & if there is an ABS warning light, it hasn't come on, so I'm not sure. I can't help but wonder if they have truly replaced the master cylinder twice with new ones. I know they've done something because it works each time I drive away from the dealership. I got all of the dates out last night and filed a complaint with the NHTSA and when I took the truck back yesterday it was time #5 since 3/23/06. I called today to check on the truck and the rep said they weren't sure what it was, so I informed him that I had filed a complaint for my safety and the safety of others and I need a resolution. He said they will try to contact me on Monday. They gave me a 2007 Dodge in the meantime...as much of a Ford person I am, I would be interested in seeing what trouble they have. However, I will say, the dealership is telling me that my truck is the first one they have had with this exact problem this many times. Just waiting to see how they "fix" it this time. Thank God they are covering under the 36,000 mile warranty still - I am at 38,000.

Going crazy looking for answers...

Old 05-21-2006, 10:51 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
wildcard30 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I live in Florida also. Are you going to use the lemon rule? If so, please keep us informed on how it's going.

I don't know if it's allowed, but can you post the dealers name you are using? I kinda curious. Well I guess I'll just ask. It's Maroone?

Old 06-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Howard Gifford
New User
Howard Gifford is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was almost killed

Here is my true story. I purchased a new 2005 F150FX4 and I was proud as punch of it. My story begins Dec 02, 2005. My truck had 6400 km (3900 mi).I was leaving my shop around midnight to head home. I left the parking lot and proceeded toward the road. Our shop is on a busy street and as I approached the curb I could see an 18 wheeler coming from the left. I applied the brakes to stop until the way was clear. I was doing maybe 5 mph. When I applied the brakes there was a sickening feeling that something was wrong. The brakes had no sensation of appying and despite my now panic and frantic attempts to stop, the truck kept on rolling onto the road and right underneath the trailer of the 18 wheeler. The rear wheels struck my new truck broadside at the centre of the front wheels ripping the frontend completely off and totalling the truck. A fraction of a second earlier and I would have been killed. To add insult to injury the cops charged me with failing to yield. I was nearly killed, my truck was totalled and I got a ticket. Of course my insurance company replaced te truck but now I had to fight the ticket in court. I explained to the judge what happened and he dismissed the charges. My insurance company checked out my totalled truck and found nothing wrong with the brakes. Now my insurance is going up. I registered a complaint with Transport Canada and they basically did nothing but ask the person that inspected my truck from thre insurance company and took their word for it. I printed this thread and took it to him and all they said was "hmm".
I will try to post pictures!
Howard from Ottawa

Old 06-23-2006, 08:39 PM
DJR 17
Senior User
DJR 17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Damn, this is getting scary! Sorry to hear this Howard. Hope you are ok, don't give up, keep fighting those sob's!

Old 09-07-2006, 09:07 PM
RPPearson
New User
RPPearson is starting off with a positive reputation.
I called the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Advisory) for help on my brakes going to the floor (the same problem you all are having). I have gotten the same response from the Ford dealerships that I have taken it into. The NHTSA phone number is 888-327-4236. It was a short 5 minute conversation about my problem. Let's all call in so we can get this problem fixed.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:39 PM
buckweet1980
Senior User
buckweet1980 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was having brake issues on my 06 lariat.. I ended up contacting a lemon law lawyer and ford is now replacing my vehicle (thank god)..

BuckWeet

Old 09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
powderburn2
Junior User
powderburn2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an 06 F150 regular cab with 4.2 engine, At around 1500 miles my brake pedal would slowly drop down at stop lights. Then one day about a week after the brakes started to slowly leak down the pedal dropped to the floor. I had to pump them up several times on my way home. By the time I got home they were working fine again. Took it to the dealer and they could not find any problems. My Master cylinder has signs of slight leakage also. I wonder if there may be some contaminates in the cylinder that hang up under the rubber seals inside the MC and let fluid loose pressure. It has 3000 miles on it now and hasn't acted up again.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:07 AM
don766
Junior User
don766 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The new brake system does have a bypass, where if you are sitting still you can push the pedal clear to the floor, it is not suppose to effect your normal braking though. At least that is what the Service Manager told me when I asked about my truck.