1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

4.6 L in Aerostar clip

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:38 AM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4.6 L in Aerostar clip

A deer ran in front of me last week. I think the Bluesmobile ('96 Crown Vic Police Interceptor) is a total loss. Bluesmobile vs. Bambi Death Match

I may buy it back at salvage mainly for the drivetrain. It appears the damage is isolated to the sheetmetal. Will the 4.6 drop in the Aerostar crossmember? I think grafting the front end to my spare frame is above my skill level. I could bolt the Aerostar in. I'd have access to all the wiring, sensors and computers. Has anyone here installed the 4.6 EFI? I saw a couple at the SuperNats. I haven't been able to find any information on the suitablity of the rear axle/suspension as a donor. Any thoughts on that?

Kevin
1953 Ford F-100
Go Illini

Old 11-14-2005, 07:53 AM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kevin, if you decide to put the Aerostar under your frame, contact me. I have done a couple of these swaps and they are the easist I have ever done. I would more than happy to come help you.
I know of a couple of 61-66 F100 that have the complete Crown Vic frame under them. I even drove one. The Slick 60's frames are the same width as the 53-60's. The Crown Vic should have a wheelbase of about 115" so it would have to be shortened for a 53-56. I presonally didn't like the look of the CV rear suspension in the trucks. You have to cut a large portion of the bed floor out to use the complete CV frame. They sure do ride nice though.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:16 AM
xfordman
Elder User
Kevin....don't know what your working on (thought it was a stocker), but I have a friend that grafted a Crown Vic front frame, to his '58 truck frame. I haven't seen it yet, I only see him a couple of times a year, but he said it worked out great. Just a thought........
______________________-
XFM...

Old 11-14-2005, 08:23 AM
xfordman
Elder User
Sorry, I reread your thread and I missed the part about the frame graft being above your skill level.... Just be glad you weren't on a motorcycle when you hit that deer!!!!

Old 11-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
I do have a stocker in the works as well as a driver. This would be in anticipation of a project far in the future. If the salvage price is acceptable, I could get a good donor with a known history.

Kevin
1953 Ford F-100
Go Illini

Old 11-14-2005, 08:31 AM
xfordman
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fat Fendered Ford
I do have a stocker in the works as well as a driver. This would be in anticipation of a project far in the future. If the salvage price is acceptable, I could get a good donor with a known history.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:45 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Kevin-
I think you will have to resolve the problem on electrical for the anti-theft function in the wiring harness. They usually won't start without the key in the original column which has some sort of interface with the computer. I'm putting a 5.4 Lightning in my 56 BW and that is one of the issues I'm facing. I have found two sources to bild a custom harness so far; Street & Performance and The Detail Zone, both want over $1200. I'm still looking since it is a ways down the road before I need it. I don't know if they will modify an original harness for you or not or what the cost might be. You might look at the possibility of using the Vic column.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Purple55
Tuned
Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts
Kevin, sorry to hear about the deer.....I mean the Bluesmobile.
That rear axle is the same one I used in my 55.I made my own suspension.The axle is a little on the wide side but I used 7" offset wheels.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:09 PM
ozzie 1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Kevin; I have install a 4.6 d.o.h.c in an Aerostar crossmember. I had to trim a bit of extra metal off the edges of the crossmember. I also made a notch to
make starter removal possible. Other than that it fit very well. I can e-mail photos if you are interested. Good luck. Ozzie

Old 11-16-2005, 08:32 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LEckart
Kevin-
I think you will have to resolve the problem on electrical for the anti-theft function in the wiring harness. They usually won't start without the key in the original column which has some sort of interface with the computer. I'm putting a 5.4 Lightning in my 56 BW and that is one of the issues I'm facing. I have found two sources to bild a custom harness so far; Street & Performance and The Detail Zone, both want over $1200. I'm still looking since it is a ways down the road before I need it. I don't know if they will modify an original harness for you or not or what the cost might be. You might look at the possibility of using the Vic column.
Has anyone tried to bribe a good Ford Master to look at this issue? I guess I am fortunate enough to know such a guy and he is ''reverse engineering '' an
EFI to use on my Cleveland

Old 11-16-2005, 12:09 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
There are companies including Ford that are offering aftermarket "mini computer" and wiring harness for a number of the EFI engines that provide the AFI functions without all the interlocks and sensors (including the OBD tattletales). Some of these modules are so small they mount right on the engine.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:55 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone released a manifold and ignition setup to run one on a carb? I know the LS1's are able to now, could save some hassle and all that cobbled wirring you'd have. -4speed

Old 11-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Update:

I bought the Bluesmobile back from the insurance company for a whopping $119. Those salvage yards must be making a mint! I haven't decided what to do with it yet. I'm leaning towards parting it out.

Kevin
1953 Ford F-100
Go Illini