Sponsored by: DP Tuner

truck is back from stealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:14 AM
celjel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck is back from stealership

I took my truck in to have the rear differential checked out as I had a nasty clunk and it seemed to have a lot of back lash, and a few other little items like checking my front hubs etc. Well all I can say is guys take good care of the driveshafts. The new one cost me 550 bucks. The old one the splines were worn very badly. I always greased it and took care of it so I was a little amazed until the tech said look at the new one and it is so much beefier than the old one. He said that in the early 99's they had a problem with them and the new one is the new style for them. They also didn't like the Redline Shockproof oil in the diff. and of course the new oil I ordered isn't here yet so I got the joy of paying them 20 bucks a quart for Exxon yellow stuff. I had a vacumn switch leaking for the 4x4 and that was allowing the hubs to patially lock when it was leaking. so after I got home with it I checked and the hub was partially locked again. I'm going to take it apart and clean and lube it today. What should I use for a lube on them?
Even after I paid the bill at the dealer, I still love my truck and wouldn't trade it for another, and this forum has been great to learn from, thanks guys!

Old 11-11-2005, 04:36 AM
dewaltkid
Freshman User
don't grease them throw them in the trash and get some warns. I did and love them.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:01 AM
blueeyes2478
Elder User
Originally Posted by dewaltkid
don't grease them throw them in the trash and get some warns. I did and love them.

He cant get the warn hubs,he has a dually.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:32 AM
celjel
Senior User
I'm not so sure I would get the warn hubs anyhow, I guess you could say that I'm lazy and like just being able to turn the switch on the dash. If I can't clean and lube them I will probably just look for a new set.
Thanks for the replies though.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:46 AM
blueeyes2478
Elder User
I was having a hard time with mine too.All i did was sprayed some PB blaster in a cup,then droped the hub in over night.The next day i pulled it out and dryed it off with the compressor.Has been working good sence then.Also check out the end of the hub,theres a small strip of metal flaks (thats what it looks like) mine where full of crap.Blow that out,then try them again to see if they work good after that.

Old 11-11-2005, 06:25 AM
celjel
Senior User
I used to use ATF to clean all the other auto hubs I had on the OBS trucks I had, But I'm not so sure if it would be good in these being a vacumn lock. I guess I'll see what they look like later today when I get them off.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Originally Posted by celjel
I took my truck in to have the rear differential checked out as I had a nasty clunk and it seemed to have a lot of back lash, and a few other little items like checking my front hubs etc. Well all I can say is guys take good care of the driveshafts. The new one cost me 550 bucks. The old one the splines were worn very badly. I always greased it and took care of it so I was a little amazed until the tech said look at the new one and it is so much beefier than the old one. He said that in the early 99's they had a problem with them and the new one is the new style for them. They also didn't like the Redline Shockproof oil in the diff. and of course the new oil I ordered isn't here yet so I got the joy of paying them 20 bucks a quart for Exxon yellow stuff. I had a vacumn switch leaking for the 4x4 and that was allowing the hubs to patially lock when it was leaking. so after I got home with it I checked and the hub was partially locked again. I'm going to take it apart and clean and lube it today. What should I use for a lube on them?
Even after I paid the bill at the dealer, I still love my truck and wouldn't trade it for another, and this forum has been great to learn from, thanks guys!
What didn't they like about the Redline oil? The color??? I've used it for years and never a problem. In fact it cleared up a clunk in my '91 rear axle.