General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Drag Racing on ESPN2- Where's the PSD's?

Old 11-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesel Drag Racing on ESPN2- Where's the PSD's?

Just happened to catch this show this afternoon. It was the Diesel Hotrod Association at Indy Raceway Park. (didn't even know there was such a thing!)

Great show- but a poor showing for Ford. I grabbed a sheet of paper and kept trrack from the beginnning as to what trucks ran.

For the drag races they showed 12 races, 3 races were byes with only one truck: 15 dodges, 3 Chevies and ONE FORD!!!! (it lost)

They showed 9 Truck Pulls - 7 dodges, 2 chevies, AND NO FORDS

They ran one major feature on a aftermarket product: Edge Attitude, they also mentioned Banks

They ran 4 features on show truck winners: 1 dodge, 1 chevy, 1 ford (Excursion) and one Jeep fitted with a diesel motor (dodge)

And they ran a burnout contest: 4 dodges , 1 chevy, 2 FORDS

Man was I disapointed!!! darn Indy farmers and their Rams! (lol)

Ford's PR department needs to get on the ball. My wife is in the "Image Management' biz and shows like these are spoonfed to broadcasters by PR flacks all the time. dodge got a better showing as a result.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:15 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
i think the problem is if you want to make big power it is easier to do with a chevy and especially a dodge.

Old 11-20-2005, 05:02 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would it be esier to do with a Chevy. Baloney. Them Dodge an Chevy boys dont want to be embarrassed by the Ford which would happen off course. This was im sure staged this way. Id say if they didnt run any Fords I wouldnt care what happened it wouldnt be a true test.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:52 AM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing was staged, the dodge boys just show up for the pulls. The chevy guys try to keep it interesting, but the ford doesn't have a motor that will hold up to any major motor building.

Chevy's can be bombed to 600rwh by just a chip, not including intake exhaust injectors turbos ect. well the dodge boys got reign on all that stuff with more yet.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:22 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Thats a lame excuse why would the Duramax hold up any better then the 6.0l. There both V-8s similar injection systems. Where do you base your information on? I want to see some proof. How do you know it wasnt staged?

Old 11-21-2005, 10:43 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
150ford -----uhhh the dmax isnt a weak engine. Guys are getting very high hp with out doing any internal mods to engine except headstuds and injector upgrades. And no the 6oh and 6.6 dmax isnt similar injection systems, the dmax uses common rail and 6oh heui inj system. There are some very strong 7.3's being built or already built, wait til this spring and some very nasty 7.3's will make an appearance.

duramaximizer---- i think 475-500 is more in the ballpark of just intake, exhaust tuner. yes 600+ is very possible and has been done many times, but its gonna take a big turbo(s) or a healthy shot of nitrous and larger injectors, etc...

When you get above 500 hp on any engine except a 12v or 24v cummins it gets very expensive to go any farther. Aftermarket performance mods (inj, turbos, boxes, trannies, etc..) for psd's and dmaxes are very pricey compared to dodge. Just go to any dodge performance website and look at the biggest nastiest inj and turbo sold, they'll cost half the price of what im running and are capable of way more hp than mine are. Hell if i drove a 12v or 24v cummins and put the money into it that ive dumped into my psd i could have a twinned beast with 650+ hp instead of 475 range that ive got now. But i hate dodges (not cummins) and cant stand to drive them or id have one. who knows, maybe when i blow this engine up i'll sell it and drop a 24v in there and make it put some insane pwr out.

Dodges are insanely cheap to bomb thats why you see so many competing compared to fords and chevys, PERIOD!

Luke

Old 11-21-2005, 11:24 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
ppe has a hot chip out that adds 330hp to the crank of the 300hp stock lb7 duramax, you can run stacks that will get you to 600rwhp with chips a tranny intake and exhaust.

i know my stuff, and can PM you examples if you wish. ford's 6.0 weakest link is the connecting rods

Dodge has a strong base, that has been built upon since the 12 valve days and it has an aftermarket overflowing with performance parts. Just the way it is. Chevies are JUST now starting to push the dodge boys really, before the dmax, we never had a prayer with the 6.5

banks might be giving to the chevy aftermarket with the new race dmax they are building. twins just came out for the dmax so hopefully next year chevy can make it interesting for the dodge boys.

go to dieselplace.com and look for guys like tomac he is known.

also don't count out the 7.3, there are some insanely powerful ones out there that are writing checks they CAN cash.

dodges have been known to lay down 1000hp on a dino just for the trivia.

Last edited by duramaximizer; 11-21-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:04 AM
lukecline
Posting Guru
Yeah i frequent dieselplace.com and dieseltruckresource.com just so i can read up on the competition . Rarely post on either site, but read almost every night.

luke

Last edited by lukecline; 11-22-2005 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:26 AM
captchas
theys hould have snow white there, a 11 second psd!

Old 11-22-2005, 08:34 AM
bowedup2003
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You wanna see a bad PSD, take a look at the RBP "Stroked Lightning". Yeah its a 6.0L but I watched it run at the DHRA Nationals in Houston a couple weekends ago and that thing flat out hauls, no offense meant but it ran against Snow White and there was no contest, it won by several truck lengths.

Bowedup

Old 11-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
ohhhhhhhh when did that come on? GOT TO CHECK GUIDE MORE OFTEN

Old 05-18-2006, 07:38 PM
banyon
New User
I hate to admit it but the dodge has the better motor to hotrod. Look at most drag cars & they have chey engines. But look at most work sites & the trucks are fords.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Quartlow
Junior User
Being as I've just started playing around with a diesel pickup I couldn't begin to tell you with any authority which motor will make more HP. From watching the Diesel truck drags out at quaker city its pretty much a tossup but the chevys where defiantly giving the PSD's and Cummins a run for the money.

You can catch the drags this year on June 3rd rain date is the 4th
Just look up quaker city raceway

At the truck pulls at the Canfield Fair (largest fair in the state of Ohio) this year, ford and dodge got their clocks cleaned by a duramax. They had a good showing of Dodge and Ford but only 3 duramax's On a 300 foot pull we had all 3 of the Duramx's go out the gate 1 Dodge and 1 ford

In the pull off the stopped the ford and the dodge around 250 feet, two of the duramax's went out around 260 The last duramax he went out the gate running 40 MPH in third gear and still picking up speed.
The real kicker was , all night long all you heard was loud pipes and all you saw was clouds of smoke. With the exception of the Chevy that one. The ONLY time that truck smoked was on take off and it smoked just a little puff every time it shifted. And it was quiet!!

Lets face it though we really need to quit turning this into a Ford VS Chevy VS Dodge argument since not a one of designed the diesels they are using.

Off this topic, out at Quaker City they have a class for semi's to drag race in. You want to watch smoke? one outfit showed up with a Kenworth conventional with TWIN Signature 600 Cummins engins sporting twin turbos on each engine. The other two where both from the same company, one was a pete daycab with 12V-71 detroit with twin turbos and a single drive axle, the toher was a pete cabover with a 12V-71 with twin turbos, but still sporting the twinscrew rearends. Yoy want to see impressive? watch a semi do burnout on 8 tires, out to the 200 foot mark!! Or watch the two single axles doing burnouts out to the 300 foot mark!!

The two detroits turned in consistent low 13's all day the Cummins turned in high 13's

The sad part was there was a guy out there with an old Freightliner cabover, with a hot 444 cummins, he hauls Iron every day with this truck. He was turning in 12.90's

Old 05-24-2006, 08:50 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bowedup2003
You wanna see a bad PSD, take a look at the RBP "Stroked Lightning". Yeah its a 6.0L but I watched it run at the DHRA Nationals in Houston a couple weekends ago and that thing flat out hauls, no offense meant but it ran against Snow White and there was no contest, it won by several truck lengths.

Bowedup
When did Stroked Lightning ever beat Snow White by several truck lengths??

The two trucks are just about even in the 1/4 mile... Stroked Lighting with the quicker time by about .03 seconds.

Snow White's best time is 11.550 sec, while Stroked Lightning's best time is 11.519. Snow White has a faster trap speed by about 3 mph, though... 122 mph vs 119 mph, IIRC.

As for the original topic, the fact is that Dodge (Cummins) is on top of drags, pulls, and dyno numbers by a long shot. They're simply cheaper and easier to get insane power out of them.