Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Bacteria in the air ducts

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Surfdaddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bacteria in the air ducts

Has anyone come across bacteria or bad smells coming from there air ducts after the car has been sitting. What is happening is when the defroster or heater is on mid way and I shut off the car for the day and I start it up after 7 or more hours there is this odor of bacteria coming out of the air ducts. It has happened at least 3 times this week and has happend earlier this fall, it is very strong. I Southern California it isn't that cold but maybe some one from other parts of the country has had this problem with other cars and has a way to cure it. It won't happen in the summer with the air conditioning on as I suspect the ducts are too dry for anything to collect in them. I can't or don't see any leaks in the car. We don't eat in the car so there isn't any rotton food or anything like that. It dosen't smell like that anyway it is a bacteria smell like from sour coolant from a machine shop or oil. I don't want to start tearing the air ducts apart or take it to the dealer though the car is still under warranty.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:44 PM
2fords2
Senior User
I've heard of this problem/complaint on other Escapes. People usually spray Lysol into the passenger compartment air duct from the engine side to solve the problem. Here is a link that shows the location...and how to install a cabin air filter if your so inclined. I did it on my '01. Works great. http://members.***.net/karomel/cabin_air_filter.htm

Old 03-08-2006, 06:47 AM
DoctorCAD
Senior User
Another thing... don't ever stop the vehicle with the controls in AC or defrost, always put them in one of the open vent positions. The vents need to be able to dry out and it seems that they don't do that very well when the AC vent mode is selected.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:28 AM
EBTDM
Senior User
There is a drain pan under your condensing coil. This is the part of your AC that cools the air that blows through your ducts. This coil is used to dry the air when running the defroster. There is a drain hole in the pan that attaches to a tube that allows the water to flow under the car. Ever notice the puddle of water under the car on a hot humid day. Now you have an idea where that tube drains. If the tube gets plugged, the water then sits in the drain pan. When water is stagnant it stinks and algae starts to grow. There are sprays that can be bought and applied to the air vents to mask the odor or you can clean out the drain line then back flush with a bleach solution (BE CAREFULL), for a more permanent cure to that bacterial smell.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Surfdaddy
Senior User
Since the first time this happend I tun off the defrost/ heater a few minuets before I park the car. I'll check the drain hose but in the summer I can see where the runoff dripps. Thanks for the reply and I'll check the pan and drain.