Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightning intake swap?

Old 11-09-2005, 01:45 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
masseysbronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Lightning intake swap?

Just wandering if anyone knows off hand if it's possible to put a 351 lighting intake onto a 93 351..................Ideas?

Old 11-09-2005, 01:59 PM
94 XLT White/ Silver 302
Elder User
94 XLT White/ Silver 302 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sure it will bolt on with no problem, just get the throttle cable also.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
it will bolt on just fine . and you wont need the throttle cable either. just make sure it has the proper bracket for the throttle to connect up to and your set.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:18 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
any idea what kind of performance gain i would get?

Old 11-09-2005, 09:01 PM
JetBlackBronco
Senior User
JetBlackBronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
does this mean you have a lightning engine sitting around??? cuz id love to get my hands on one. even just the long block, with the gt40 heads.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:49 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
no, sorry i'm just theorizing. I saw one somewhere a while back and it got me wondering if maybe it was a good HP upgrade.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
its actually a great upgrade. just know that you have to get the proper throttle body as well because the stock on on your current intake wont work.

any other intake is better then whats stock on our 5.8's. the edelbrock efi truck intake is the better option and costs about the same

Old 11-10-2005, 11:38 AM
SAX
New User
SAX is starting off with a positive reputation.
I actually did the conversion but used a 94' lightning crate engine. Added the mass air flow conversion to my 87' and man does this thing move.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:54 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
whats required for converting to MAF? Will my computer handle it, or do i need a new one and harness?

Old 11-10-2005, 02:19 PM
SAX
New User
There is a kit which I purchased through Ford Motorsports. Comes with computer, harness, and sensors. Everything is included including instructions for installation. It was probably the top five best things I have done for improved horsepower and fuel mileage. Summit Racing also carries them. They are also a tad less expensive through summit. I paid $750.00 for the kit I got. Worth every penny.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Super-Dayv
Junior User
Super-Dayv is starting off with a positive reputation.
Awesome...I have been thinking about that conversion for years now. But can never find a deal on parts, I would like to change heads (GT40) and the intake though...So what is the best intake to get? Lightning, Edelbrock, or ???? Cost?

Old 11-11-2005, 02:29 PM
SAX
New User
You can purchase the Intake through Summit racing. It is supposed to be rated at 500+ horsepower. It is around $500-$600 I think. I think it is probably the best for the money. If you get heads get the GT40 and not the GT40P

Old 11-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Super-Dayv
Junior User
Super-Dayv is starting off with a positive reputation.
I take it the Edelbrock intake is better than the Ford Lightning intake? Looks like the Edelbrock Intake is cheaper on Buyperformance.com...plus I have a coupon code for 10% off the order total. Oh the wife is not gonna be happy!

Old 11-11-2005, 02:56 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
is there any difference in the lightning block compared to the regular 351 block?

Old 11-11-2005, 03:08 PM
SAX
New User
I have the actual Lightning intake with the tubular runners. Coupled with the mass air conversion it rocks. I will try to post a picture later in the day. It works supurb. The block is a sportsman block and not a regular 351 block. What is the difference I am not too sure. It was purchased as a crate unit through Ford Motorsport by the previous owner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lightning intake swap?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.