Auto -> Manual 460ci swap? '77 w/auto into '85 F350 w/manual

Old 11-09-2005, 08:05 AM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto -> Manual 460ci swap? '77 w/auto into '85 F350 w/manual

Thanks for reading. What we got here is an 85' F-350 with a 4 speed manual trans and a blown 460 motor. I still have my 460 from my 77' F-250 but it was an auto. I need some help sorting out some issues here and any help would be great.

1) The 85' 460 that is being replaced has a weighted harmonic to crank spacer and the '77 doesn't. Below is a pic. Is this something I will need to install on the '77 engine? I have no idea if this is there because of crank differences or because of trans differences.

2) The '85 460 has a rear sump oil pan and the '77 has a front. Will I be able to swap pans and if so how to I go about the oil pump? I'm assuming that at least the pick-up tube is different. I figure while I have everything open I should give it a new oil pump. Would I order one for an '85 since that's the style pan I need? Does it come with the pick up tube and screen?

3) The flex plate will need to leave the '77 460 and be replaced with a flywheel so I can hook up the clutch. Can I use the flywheel from the '85 or will there be crank issues?

I know it's a lot of questions but I do appreciate any answers I can get. Thanks a lot!

Old 11-09-2005, 09:45 AM
bob arrington
Posting Guru
dont use the weight , your "new" engine doesnt need it, shouldnt have any problem with the flywheel , if you swap the pans , swap the oil pump pick up also, , a new pump is a good thing and your rear pickup will unbolt from the old pump and bolt to it. new gaskets , front and rear seal if. ,and a new set of rod and main bearings might save you some time later ,bob

Old 11-09-2005, 12:00 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bob arrington
dont use the weight , your "new" engine doesnt need it, shouldnt have any problem with the flywheel , if you swap the pans , swap the oil pump pick up also, , a new pump is a good thing and your rear pickup will unbolt from the old pump and bolt to it. new gaskets , front and rear seal if. ,and a new set of rod and main bearings might save you some time later ,bob
Thanks Bob,
Great advice on the bearings! I started opening it up and the crank is pretty wrecked. The truck is rough and I'm tired of putting money in it. It's payed for it's self so I think it's off to the land of reincarnation (the scrap yard).

Thanks for the help
OSin86

Search this Thread