New Kid!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 01:38 PM
LLott
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ranger Question....

Hi again,

My boyfriend has a 1993 Ford Ranger and I wanted to get him so after market parts for his truck. He has already lifted it an it has nice rims an tires. I was thinking more under the hood stuff. (he always buys me parts for my mustang so I thought I would return the favor!! Nothing says love like car parts!!!)
Any advice or help to point me in the right direction would be wonderful!!!

Thanks.
LA

Old 11-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thread split to Ranger forum.

-Matt

Old 11-08-2005, 08:08 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Well we kinda need to know what engine he has if you want under the hood performance parts.
A muffler would be good, and make the truck more him, since you can customize the sound practically any way you want. You could get an intake, but the difference is negligible in the long run.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:38 PM
frdrngrlvr
Elder User
ranger-pilot is right. we need engine size. i asked for duals for mine. k&n stuff is pretty cool. how 'bout a chip? bring back the ci's.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:48 AM
LLott
New User
Smile

Hey,

He has the 2.3 Liter, he has an after market exhust which to me sounds like a rice rocket but he likes it. I tried looking at K&N an I cant seem to find anything for a 93, maybe I am just looking in the wrong places. He wanted a turbo for it but I know nothing about that stuff. I know since he lifted it and now has the bigger tires alot of the power is gone, so I was tryin to think of ways to help get it back.
Thanks
LA

Old 11-09-2005, 09:03 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
*cough* ricer *cough* lol jk jk. The 2.3L is a very durable little engine, will run forever. I don't know if it can take the stress of a turbo though, not to mention turbos run quite a large amount of cash. For the price he might just want to get a new engine, say the 4.0L or if he's really adventurous, do a complete swap with a 302 or bigger if he's up for it. Some people actually cram V-8 engines into our little trucks! If you want performance parts, you might want to look at the 4-cylinder forum here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=58
They could be a lot of help.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:08 AM
LLott
New User
Talking

Roger that I will look into that also... I always give him a hard time since my mustang sounds like a real hot rod and his sounds like a civic!! haha... To be honest I dont have the money for a turbo, what about throttle bodies and something like a cold air intake?? Any advice??? What about changing the rear gears?

Thanks,
LA

Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Changing the rear gears isn't cheap either, unless you can find the axle in a boneyard, in which case it's fairly cheap and not real hard to do. Might wanna see what gears he has at the moment, and we can go from there. From what I understand, my 3.08s have decent acceleration, but will top out higher than 3.73s and get better gas mileage (which probably doesn't matter since I try to make up for the acceleration...).
Throttle bodies: make that weird air intake noise, sounds cool, but no real performance from what I hear. CAI won't add massive power, something on the line of 5-8HP more than likely. Then again with the 2.3L every horse is helpful.
I can PM you with a custom way to make a CAI if you would like, it's easy and requires very little cash, while still looking decent, as in almost stock except for that big filter.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:46 AM
jimw411
Elder User
If his truck is a stick, get him a hurst shifter, he'll love it. It has a short throw and clicks like the rice burner ones in fast and furious which from what you described is what he likes.
If he wants to rice burner it out, he will need a crappy body kit thats always about to fall off and lots and lots of stickers. haha....

Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 AM
LLott
New User
Thats a good idea about the shifter, it is a stick so that would be a nice thing to have. Yeah I was looking into maybe a Rino liner or some stuff for the bed. He has a 4 wheeler that goes everywhere we go so I figure that might be an idea also. Thanks for your idea I will look at the shifters today. Can you tell me any place specific to look?
Thanks again,

LA

Old 11-09-2005, 01:16 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
www.stylinconcepts.com is a very popular website, also pretty reasonable on prices.
Just be careful about Rinoing that bed, check all your fuel tank hoses first, sometimes the one on top cracks and anyone with a Ranger will tell you it's A LOT easier to go through the bed than from below to fix it, so might as well pull the bed and fix it if it is cracked before spraying it. Just a suggestion though, hopefully and likely there won't be any problems with the hose.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:22 PM
LLott
New User
That is a good idea I would have never thought of that.

Thanks for the help and info...
LA

Old 11-09-2005, 01:25 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
You could pick up Ford Racing plugs and wires (stick with genuine Ford plugs/wires though, our trucks love to complain when we use practically anything else), and if you really want to make it stand out, I believe Ford makes an engine dress up kit for the Ranger?

Old 11-09-2005, 01:34 PM
LLott
New User
Cool I will check that out to...Spanks LA

Old 11-09-2005, 07:25 PM
frdrngrlvr
Elder User
honestly, with the lift and larger tires, it'll be difficult to get more hp outa that 4banger. i have a 3" body-lift with 33" tires and it has the 3.slow v6 and i know all about losing power not to mention mpg's. i'm only doing minor engine mods, mainly bolt on things but the real power gain is in the 5.0ho motor that everybody puts in these rigs. just say no to turbos. i believe the grandnationals are the only thing that can pull that off successfully and maybe big-rigs of course! lol. and one question for all of ya, what is the fasination with the crotch-rocket sounding exauhst? i hate that sound! hay how 'bout a little nitrous kick, no no don't do that. i was jk!

Quick Reply: New Kid!!!