Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Freestyle with Duratec 3.5 l?

Old 11-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Scott_XLT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freestyle with Duratec 3.5 l?

Apologies if this has been clarified earlier, but I am interested in the Ford Freestyle, but am turned off by it's smallish V-6 (Duratec 3.0l). Is the Freestyle slated to receive the new 3.5 liter Duratec that Ford is starting to build, or is that reserved for the 500?

I've read that Ford will discontinue the Freestyle in a year or two, so perhaps they won't bother putting in the larger (more appropriate for its size and weight) engine.

To me the Freestyle just seems pretty close to being the perfect family hauler.

Old 11-05-2005, 02:17 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) If they offer the 3.5 in the Five-Hundred, then it will be available in the Freestyle- both vehicles are built on the same assembly line. There'd be no reason not to offer it in both.

2) I'm pretty sure that 2007 is the last year for the CURRENT Freestyle; there's a re-designed one in the works (new platform, different from the Five-Hundred), and it looks like it will be out in 2008. What it looks like or what it will offer, I have no idea.

3) Ideal vehicle for just about everyone: more interior room than an Explorer, AWD, luxurious. I love 'em!

Old 11-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Scott_XLT
Senior User
I'm kind of dissapointed that they would change platforms on the Freestyle, as that is one of the things I like about it -- they used a Volvo platform. Seems like any platform they change to would be downgrade from that. I kind of think of the Freestyle as a Volvo for less money - that I can get a great deal on to boot, thanks to you, Jeff.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:48 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Couple of notes: the Volvo S80 (where the 500/Freestyle platform comes from) is being replaced with a new model/platform. Best guess is that's where the new Freestyle platform is coming from. The major difference is size- it should be slightly larger than the current vehicle, but still use most of the mechanicals from the current car. Rumor (from a good source) is the name will be changed to "Fairlane."

Old 11-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Scott_XLT
Senior User
So they're bring back the Fairlane name, eh? Kind of questionnable, but maybe there's more good will attached to that name than I know.

Also: After further "web research" I read that the Ford 500 and Freestyle won't get the new engine until 2007. The first vehicles to offer this engine will be the Fusion family in 2006. Of course take all this with a grain of salt. Heck, maybe it is old new to those in the know.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Scott_XLT
Senior User
Originally Posted by polarbear
Couple of notes: the Volvo S80 (where the 500/Freestyle platform comes from) is being replaced with a new model/platform. Best guess is that's where the new Freestyle platform is coming from. The major difference is size- it should be slightly larger than the current vehicle, but still use most of the mechanicals from the current car. Rumor (from a good source) is the name will be changed to "Fairlane."
Forgot to say thanks polarbear for sharing this information. Very interesting stuff. It will be fun to watch how these models evolve -- even if they don't evolve the way I think they should.