Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

How is the Freestyle selling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 05:58 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
How is the Freestyle selling?

This is obviously kinda directed at those who sell them... You guys know who you are.

It is a nifty concept. It could fit my business vehicles needs well. I've only crawled all around inside one but haven't driven it yet.

Is it worth driving??

Are people buying them?

Who is it's target market? And are they buying it or is another "group" buying it? (I'm thinking PT Cruiser here since it didn't sell to who they "made it for.")

Old 09-30-2005, 08:30 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How's it selling? I'm sold out of them. What does THAT tell you? Worth driving? ABSOLUTELY! Some of the magazines were less than thrilled with the acceleration, but the power's more than adequate, you just have to get used to how the CVT works to get the most out of it. Word has it a larger engine is in the pipeline, for those that just have to go faster.

Target market? I don't know and I don't care; I've never liked pigeon-holing my customers ("...oh, you're a baby-boomer, therefore you MUST be driving this..."). It's got the safety of a Volvo, more interior room than a 4-door Explorer, the flexibility of a minivan (no, I'm not afraid to use THAT word), and the quiet and comfort of a luxury car. Add in all-wheel-drive availability and a more-than-reasonable price, and you've got a heck of a car.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Tell3131
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read that they were going to discontinue the Freestyle. . . of course I don't have reference. Anyone?

Old 09-30-2005, 10:35 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
There may be a new Freestyle for 2008, due to platform shuffling/ redesign.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:46 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I go looking again in the next 5 years the freestyle is on the top of the list. I got to see one, and pick over the week the were released to the public. Seems like a very well built vehicle. Jeff is it just me or is it on a volvo platform?

Old 09-30-2005, 11:59 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Yup- it's built on the S80/ XC90 platform. AND- believe it or not, Ford actually BEEFED-UP that platform for the Freestyle! That's how it achieved the full, 5-star crash rating in all four categories (front driver, front passenger, side driver, side passenger) WITHOUT the optional side airbags. Add those side airbags, and you've got one of the safest vehicles on the road.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:04 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, that what I was thinking as the body lines resemble those model volvos.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:37 PM
TDN
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tell3131
I read that they were going to discontinue the Freestyle. . . of course I don't have reference. Anyone?
I heard Ford was discontinuing the Freestar, in part because of the Freestyle taking away what was left of the already dwindling buyers. The minivan era is OVER.

BTW, I really like the looks of the Freestyle. My wife is complaining that her Escape isn't big enough (we have a baby on the way), and I'm thinking that the Freestyle might be a good option. I'd be VERY interested in a Freestyle hybrid. I hope they have one coming out soon (with the shared platform they could also introduce the same hybrid drive for the 500/Montego).

Old 09-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Tell3131
Senior User
Yeah, it must have been the Freestar. . .

Sorry

Old 09-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My wife has an 05 Freestyle. She's very happy with the room, handling and power. Mileage has been around 18 with mixed street/freeway driving, she has a lead foot though. On longer freeway trips it gets around 22 mpg.

I've driven it a few times and it does handle quite well. The power is OK, it won't set you back in the seat but it pulls well. Plenty of seating room and it's confortable. It's really like a mid-size station wagon.

Not near the power of my PSD but it's much easier to find a parking spot!

Old 09-30-2005, 01:19 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
If anyone wants one, I think we cornered the market out here in Sandy, Or. They are selling, but nowhere near the way they should be- and I blame Ford, not the product (zero advertising on the Left-coast).

That being said, I put 5000 miles on a Freestyle Limited AWD earlier this year, and flat loved the car. The CVT takes a little getting used to, but once you get past that, you start wondering why everyone else doesn't use this type of transmission- seamless shifts, economical, quiet. It's also quicker than it feels, although a Buick 3800 would be a great match under the hood.

BTW- the Freestyle is tops on the list of most-likely replacement of Mrs. Bears current driver- she really liked it too.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:39 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
I read in MotorTrend (last month, I think) that the Fairlane concept would be replacing both the Freestar and Freestyle. It sounded like it will be based on the current Freestyle, with some cooler retro-boxy styling.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
Target market? I don't know and I don't care; I've never liked pigeon-holing my customers
I ask only because some of the vehicles I've thought would be good vehicles for my business always seem to have some 50-year old woman driving it.

PT Cruiser & Pacifica to name a couple...

Yeah, it's vanity on my part but hey...

Old 09-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe
I read in MotorTrend (last month, I think) that the Fairlane concept would be replacing both the Freestar and Freestyle. It sounded like it will be based on the current Freestyle, with some cooler retro-boxy styling.
True. Both Freestar (along with Mercury Monterey) and Freestyle will be dead by the end of 2007. In first 4 months Ford sold around 44,000 Freestyles, my local Ford dealer where I bought F-150 still have a lot of them.

Mercury will have its own version of Freestyle in 2008 and for 2008 there will also be Ford Fairlane which is combination between Minivan and small SUV. Another interesting thing is that Volvo will have Minivan in 2008.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Ford Fairlane

ICK!

Let's hope they fix the front end so it doesn't resemble the Honda Element & Ridgeline!

Quick Reply: How is the Freestyle selling?