2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Received Borla Exhaust cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:17 PM
mhoneyf150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Received Borla Exhaust cat-back

Is this something easy to install myself or should I take it somewhere to get installed?

Thanks

Old 11-02-2005, 12:41 PM
fomocojoe101
Senior User
That's a tough question, it depends on a lot of things. Are you mechanically inclined, do you have tools, a floor jack and jack stands. A catback can be done at home, given enough time, patience, and determination! But it "aint" easy!! On the other hand, is there a shop you trust? Not me! I did my catback at home in about 4 or 5 hours total, but about half that time was trying to remove the stock exhaust without cutting it apart! Short answer is "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't"

Old 11-02-2005, 12:53 PM
jimtracker
Junior User
I am 70 years old and I replaced my own in the driveway. Hardest thing to do is get the old system off. I found the easy way was to use a dremel tool to cut the exhaust pipe from the manifold. Cut it lengthwise then bend it open. After that it just takes muscle to pull if off. Attaching borla is a snap. Just make sure the clamp is tight.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:55 PM
jimtracker
Junior User
I forgot one thing. I have an artifical shoulder, if I can do it anyone can.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:00 PM
mhoneyf150
New User
How long had your stock exhaust been on? 3k miles on my truck. I have the above tools, but my time may be worth paying someone $75.00 - $100 if it takes 4-5 hours. If I knew I could do it in two hours or less and easy I would do myself.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:04 PM
mhoneyf150
New User
jimtracker, SemperFi

thanks for the reply

Old 11-02-2005, 01:08 PM
jimtracker
Junior User
My truck had about 10K miles. I was not interested in saving the old exhaust, so just cutting everything off was quick. I also cut the pipe behind the muffler. Overall time was about two hours. I had a floor jack and stands, that got it high enough to get under. Took longer to set it up than anything. If you have a wife, make her stay in the house unless she is good at getting tools.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:57 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Catbacks are easy swaps. Like mentioned, the hardest part is in fact taking the old unit off. It took me two hours to get my stock unit off, and all of 10 minutes to get the new one on. They key I have found it to use plenty of penetrating spray (not wd40), and to have a hacksaw/sawzall for a couple small things. I shot all the joints, nuts, and hangers with the spray, and let it set a while. Loosen all the bolts, and if you can reach them, cut the enlarged heads off of the hangers. That will allow for them to pull out of the rubber boots easier. After that, I just grabbed the tailpipe (the way its bent makes for a dandy handle) from the rear of the truck, and just pulled backwards, as well as in small circles. This helped to loosen it up, and it eventually decided it didnt want to stay on the truck any longer. Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:00 PM
GordoPanocho
Elder User
Thumbs up

It's a "three beer" job. EASY! Do it yourself and you'll feel satisfied with ... well, actually doing it yourself. You can have a buddy help you hold things up, line them up, tighten the hardware, etc. I'm generally one of those who work my regular job so that I can afford to pay the other guy to do the jobs I don't want to do. Just doing my part for the economy. But, this is one job I think you should do yourself. All you need are the basic tools, some elbow grease, and two ramps on which to put your back tires. Surely one of your buddies has the ramps you can borrow. If not, try a place like Wal-Mart of the local auto parts store and pick up a set (hard plastic ones run $30-40). Jack stands are not necessary.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:04 AM
mhoneyf150
New User
Well last night when I got home I attempted to remove the exhaust thinking that it would not take me that long, as I am a Big Strong Guy and should have no problem pulling the exhaust off. Took me about 15 min to get the tools setup and jack stands up. Used plenty of penetrating spray and went to work. The bolt/clamp in front of the muffler came off easy enough, so I started thinking this was not going to be to bad. 30 min later 9:30 PM it was not coming off. At the rate I was going it could be several more hours, so I gave up for the night. Will try again this weekend when I have more time.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:22 AM
bradfordware
New User
good luck mhoney and send message on how it went, i am planning on doing the same.

Old 11-04-2005, 05:01 PM
GordoPanocho
Elder User
Working those points out of the grommets can be troublesome. If I remember correctly, I put my feet on the north end of the muffler (north end if your truck's pointing north), held onto the frame, and pushed. Just don't destroy those grommets.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:44 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
Trying to do that job at night is kind of asking for trouble, unless it's a nice summer night and you got a friend or two to help who is also nocturnal (like me). No place to get any parts or tools or sprays you may need.

I did this on a volvo, with very little under car clearance and much tighter tolerances under the chassis in 3 hours. Had to Dremel off the old bolts at the cat pipe, liquid wrench didn't work on those at all. Once they were off, everything else was good. If you're not saving the stock system, cut it either before or after the rear axle so it's easier to manuever.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:43 AM
mhoneyf150
New User
Got it installed and what great look and sound. Took just over two hours. Well now I know why I had trouble the first try. The frist bracket in front of the muffler has a locking pin that you cannot see and that you need to turn the pipe to get off (catch 22 you cannot turn the pipe unless the hinges are out). So the best thing is to go up the next bracket and take it off from there and then take the three rubber backets off (easy to do) leaving them attatched to the muffler and then the muffler will come right out and then pull the rubber brackets off the muffler. If I had known about this locking pin I may have gotten it done in about an hour.

Any questions just let me know. It was worth the money to go with Borla.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:26 AM
fireftnford
Senior User
mhoneyf150,

Does it make the truck loud or give it a deep tone?

Quick Reply: Just Received Borla Exhaust cat-back