Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

egr egr limination?

Old 10-31-2005, 12:21 AM
moritz1024
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
egr egr limination?

ok here we go i have a 1989 ford bronco with a 76 302 from a mustang with the rear sump pump and everything. the block was bored out .30 over and blue printed and new everything else. stock heads that were cleaned up nice and good wen the motor was built. so i slapped a fuel injection on there from another 5.0 bronco which i took my time to clean nicely and paint. so i was wondering if its possible to just eliminate my egr valve bcuz y do i need that anyways i also spent a pretty penny and bought a mass air conversion kit with the computer and everything so now it has a mustang computer in and they sell these kits online for egr eliminator. also was wondering wat that was all about

Old 10-31-2005, 03:03 AM
Mr. Bob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am running a 1989 351W with the MAF kit... EGR valves will not hurt your power, and on those FI engines, eliminating them can give you all kinds of pinging problems... the C3W1 mustang PCM does not have a provision for a knock sensor either.... I would recomend keeping the EGR.....

Old 10-31-2005, 04:00 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The short answer is yes; the long answer is that eliminating/plugging the EGR valve can cause subtle or not so subtle problems if you use a stock computer. There are ways to around it, but what you gain may not worth the hassle. Of course, what you got is no stock by any means....

Old 10-31-2005, 01:47 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ditto the what has been said already. Removing the EGR can prove to be a royal PITA. EEC-IV computers are not set up to NOT run the EGR system and consequently getting the engine tuned properly WITHOUT the EGR in place gets tricky to say the least. Since EGR also changes the fuel-air ratio, your O2 sensor will send confusing readings back to the computer as well causing more headaches.

IF you can find an aftermarket computer that has software in it that will compensate for the lack of the EGR I suppose you could get around it. Not exactly sure why its necessary to get rid of it though. Don't know how NJ is on emissions but it would never fly here in MO.

Search this Thread