Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Owasso Auto Shops

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:27 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Owasso Auto Shops

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy auto shop here in Owasso? My tbird developed a vibration that I can't locate. I'm thinking it's driveline related as the vibes are there only with the foot on the gas. When I let off, the vibration goes away. I can feel it mainly through the steering column, but also through out the rest of the car. Feels like driving on a washboard road.

Thanks,
Mike B

Old 11-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeB 88
Can anyone recommend a trustworthy auto shop here in Owasso? My tbird developed a vibration that I can't locate. I'm thinking it's driveline related as the vibes are there only with the foot on the gas. When I let off, the vibration goes away. I can feel it mainly through the steering column, but also through out the rest of the car. Feels like driving on a washboard road.

Thanks,
Mike B
Hmmm.... don't know about many of the shops---but just out of curiosity, have you checked the U-joints?

Just a thought,
STan

Old 11-07-2005, 08:56 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
I used Toms Service center to replace a cracked head on my '93 Ford Tempo. That experience was ok. Then I took my '78 F150 over to have them, right after buying it, to isolate a fuel delivery problem. That was a big pain and waste of time and money. Haven't been back to them since. Other than that, I haven't had to deal with other repair shops. Have you visibly inspected the driveshaft to make sure it's free of any clumps of mud or to see if any balancing weights had fallen off? Just for grins have you tried putting it in neutral and giving it some gas to see if anything under the hood might be causing the vibration?

Old 11-07-2005, 09:30 AM
dakota_viking
Elder User
Mike,

Stan is on the right track. It sounds exactly like the problem my neighbor was having with his pickup. The rear u-joint was dried out and it locked up on one set of the bearings. I pulled it out and got him fixed up within 2 hours. He said the truck drives like a new one now.

The problem usually occurs with the back u-joint drying out. The vibration will happen under power and will follow the driveline all the back up to the engine. That's why you can feel it in the steering. If you listen, you may hear a small chirping as you are giving it gas when you start out.

Give me a call sometime and maybe I can give you a better deal than the local shops.

Later,

Tim

PS. Autozone has u-joints for that car that run between $9.99 and $15.00

Last edited by dakota_viking; 11-07-2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:38 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I jacked it up last Sunday. The u-joints and drive shaft all seen tight, I couldn't get any movement from them by shaking them. I did keep it in gear and stepped on the gas and the motor mounts look good. At least the motor dodn't want to jump out of the car.

I don't like Thoms either. quite a few years ago, they ripped my sister off when she lived here. However, I don't remember what they did. I've also seen notices at work that say don't go to Shillings. They don't give details though.

Mike B

Old 11-07-2005, 01:44 PM
dakota_viking
Elder User
Mike,

The truck I worked on didn't have any play in it either, but when I took the drive shaft off, 2 of the caps on the back u joint wouldn't turn. They had essentially rusted themselves into a solid position. The needle bearings were all there but not rolling.

It still might be a good idea to drop the driveshaft and see if you have full 2-direction range of motion on both of the u-joints.

Tim