1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Glow Plug/gpr/hard Winter Start And White Smoke Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the issue with the turbo is making the engine run rough, but it would definitely explain the smoke. If the seals inside the turbo are blown you're blowing oil into the exhaust, which in turn causes the smoke you're seeing.

My guess on the miss is that you have an electrical issue or you have a couple worn injectors that aren't working as they should be.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 AM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does one go about testing the injectors?

If the seals are bad on the turbo, would that explain the loss of power, rough running and white smoke under load?

Thanks for your time,
Tom

Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FallstonYJ
How does one go about testing the injectors?

If the seals are bad on the turbo, would that explain the loss of power, rough running and white smoke under load?

Thanks for your time,
Tom
To test the injectors the only things you can really do with them in the engine is to do a buzz test (for which you need a good scanner or Auto Enginuity on a PC). This (buzz test) will test the electrical portion of the injection system. The other thing you can do (although it is somewhat subjective) is you can remove the valve covers then start the engine and see if all 8 are spitting oil out the oil spouts. If they're not....you know which injectors are not working. Also look at the amount of oil being spit out. They should all be similar amounts. The only true way to thoroughly test the injectors is to send them out to be flow tested on a flow bench. And if you're going to that trouble and expense, you're better off just having them freshened up before they go back in. Jim (at Rosewood) can flow test them for you and has about the most reasonable prices around on having them overhauled.

If you want to get into more detail about the issues you're having, we are probably better off starting a new thread instead of mucking up this one since it is a sticky (for reference).

Old 04-05-2012, 07:04 AM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

[/quote]If you want to get into more detail about the issues you're having, we are probably better off starting a new thread instead of mucking up this one since it is a sticky (for reference).[/quote]

Sorry about that, I will start a new thread to continue. Thanks for your help! BTW, I sent an email to Jim last night re my problems, hoping he will reply with some help.

Thanks again for your time,
Tom

Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 AM
BombThreat
Senior User
Hey guys I read through the first 6-7 pages and couldn't find out exact readings on testing my glow plug system 1997 dual 5 pin wiring. Could someone point me to a good write up on doing this? A lot of good info in here but hard to sift through it to find the info I'm looking for.

Thanks guys

Old 10-18-2013, 08:38 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BombThreat
Hey guys I read through the first 6-7 pages and couldn't find out exact readings on testing my glow plug system 1997 dual 5 pin wiring. Could someone point me to a good write up on doing this? A lot of good info in here but hard to sift through it to find the info I'm looking for.

Thanks guys
Ohm the outer pins on the VCH. You should be seeing about 1.5 ohms across the board. Also with the volt meter, test the 2 big lugs on the GPR. One will be constantly hot and IIRC the other big lug should have about 1 volt loss from the constant hot when energized.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:07 PM
BombThreat
Senior User
I checked the GPR and the old one was getting 12.4 volts on the constant hot (same as battery terminal volts). Checked the GP terminal and that was reading 10.5 volts. So I replaced the GPR with a new one and it reads exactly the same? Any ideas?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:12 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BombThreat
I checked the GPR and the old one was getting 12.4 volts on the constant hot (same as battery terminal volts). Checked the GP terminal and that was reading 10.5 volts. So I replaced the GPR with a new one and it reads exactly the same? Any ideas?
You have to read both while the key is in RUN. When you read the 12.4 on the constant hot terminal, was that with the key in RUN or the key off?

Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 AM
Bart Earnest
New User
Glow Plug Relay test procedure

Originally Posted by ealbertson
I found this in the link below. If you go there you can see the picture of the GPR that is mentioned in the first line.
Book on Ford Pickups on sale - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I have attached a small photo of the glow plug relay, as seen from looking from the front of the truck. (Goto link above to see the picture)

The large terminal on the left with a rubber boot over it goes directly to the batteries. It has +12 volts all the time.

The other large terminal, without a boot, is the switched +12 volts that is fed to the glow plugs when they are supposed to be on. That current gets fed to the glow plugs through the brown and yellow wires (below). I don't know where the blue wire goes. Anybody got those factory wiring diagrams?

The smaller terminal at the bottom has no voltage when the key is off, but gets +12 volts any time the key is on, engine running or not. It is the incoming current supply for the relay's coil.

The other smaller terminal, closer to the firewall, is the other side of the relay's coil. It is looking for a ground to activate the relay. When the key is first turned on, and glow plug heat is called for by the PCM (the engine computer), the PCM outputs a ground, thereby causing current to flow through the relay's coil, activating the relay, and sending current (at +12 volts) to the glow plugs. When glow plug heat is no longer called for, the ground that is output by the PCM goes "open", causing the relay to turn off. If you put a volt meter on this pin after the relay opens, you will see +12 volts here, too. Why? The wire in the relay's coil is feeding it to your volt meter.

If you short this terminal to ground through a switch, you can manually control the current to the glow plugs any time the key is on.

Since the winter weather is usually not that cold here in Southern California, I intend to install a switch inside the cab that opens the connection to this terminal. That will allow the timer to control the glow plugs normally ONLY when I want it to. Otherwise, when I don't need the glow plugs to be heated, I'll save myself the current drain on the batteries.

You could also wire a momentary-contact push button switch in the cab and have glow plugs only when you push the button, and complete manual control if you want it. I wouldn't use a toggle switch, as it could be forgotten and the glow plugs would be on all the time. Not a good thing.

Pop
When glow plug heat is no longer called for, the ground that is output by the PCM goes "open", causing the relay to turn off.
Now based on the above quote, would the big terminal that transfers 12v to glow plugs stop sending the voltage to the glow plugs? While testing my gpr the big terminal that sends 12v to glow plugs stopped reading voltage once the gpr "clicked". Is this normal? I have 12v on that terminal once the turned is turned to start.
Thanks.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:11 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bart Earnest
When glow plug heat is no longer called for, the ground that is output by the PCM goes "open", causing the relay to turn off.
Now based on the above quote, would the big terminal that transfers 12v to glow plugs stop sending the voltage to the glow plugs? While testing my gpr the big terminal that sends 12v to glow plugs stopped reading voltage once the gpr "clicked". Is this normal? I have 12v on that terminal once the turned is turned to start.
Thanks.
That is normal operation. Once the ground from the PCM drops off (to "open" as you have stated) the relay opens (the click you're hearing) and the flow of current to the big terminal that sends power to the glow plugs is interrupted. That's how it should be working.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:56 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
When the GPR goes "click, click, click, click, click, click, click..." (you get the idea), you have a problem and it's time to replace the GPR.

One of the big terminals should always have 12V going to it, (that's from the battery), and the other big terminal, like Nate stated, will have 12V when you turn the key to "On" or "Start", but will have 0V when the key is turned "Off".

Old 01-31-2017, 10:30 PM
Bart Earnest
New User
Originally Posted by IDMooseMan
When the GPR goes "click, click, click, click, click, click, click..." (you get the idea), you have a problem and it's time to replace the GPR.

One of the big terminals should always have 12V going to it, (that's from the battery), and the other big terminal, like Nate stated, will have 12V when you turn the key to "On" or "Start", but will have 0V when the key is turned "Off".
Thanks I was wanting clairification on the gp post not reading once the circuit opened. So I'd say my gpr is good. Funny thing this past week truck was pain to start in 40 degree temps here in the California high desert. Today I have at 6 am, so it's 23 or so degrees. So I figure she may not start. Turn key, get seat belt on phone plugged to aux cable etc. So the wts light is off for longer than I usually wait, and viola, one crank and she fires. I'm both pleased and perplexed. Not sure if I have an issue or I need to wait to start longer. So I'll see how tomorrow goes. Sta t ted fine after but temp in 50s. I hoping I just need to wts longer. Thanks for imput, and I finially learned to use a multimeter, lol.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:50 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
If it's cold out like that, I usually give it a good 30 count after the light goes out before I crank it. Just give it a little more time to preheat and I bet you're working just fine.