Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snowplow on 95 Bronco

Old 10-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Gearheadjo
Freshman User
Gearheadjo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Snowplow on 95 Bronco

I need to know if its ok to install snowplow on a 95 Bronco. Seems there is a "crumple zone on the front frame where the mounting brackets are located. I am just trying to replace my 79 Bronco w/plow, which has worked great for 15 years. Its just plain wore out. Thanks for any imput.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:51 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
Its actually a reinforcement zone that is sturdier than the frame horns would be if it wasn't there. The only drawback is that it leaves very little or no flat mounting surfaces on the frame horns immediately behind the bumper. You can always weld flat stock over the "accordion area" and mount the plow that way.

You might also want to consider heavy duty front springs and a leveling kit just to get the ride right with the added weight of the plow up there.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
you might just think about freshing up your 79. what all is it needing?

Old 10-26-2005, 10:10 AM
skelator84
Senior User
skelator84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That sounds about right to me, I would also put some manual locking hubs on it, seems nobody likes listening for the ghost click that tells you your auto hubs are unlocked.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Gearheadjo
Freshman User
Question

Thanks for the replys. I now have had western snowplow dealer tell me that its not ok to put plow on 94 95 96 Broncos due to some weak front axle. Different than earlier years. Seems Ford changed load rating on those years. Can anyone verify this? Thanks again and what a great Info source this is. Gearhead

Old 10-29-2005, 02:44 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
The front axle was the same from 1980-1996....why on earth would it be a problem for the last three years? The ONLY change made to the front axle that I am aware of was the addition of ABS to the front axle in 93. And the ABS doesn't care how much additional weight you put up there, it will keep the fronts from locking up on you either way. If someone has info to the contrary I'd be interested to hear it.

Old 10-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Gearheadjo
Freshman User
Question

All I know is when you go to the western, fisher, or meyer plow sites and look up mounting kits and blades for the 93-95 broncos, there just isn't anything listed. Then I put in 90-92 broncos and there where parts numbers and such that fit those years. Pretty strange. I've got a 95 lined up to buy but am weary to buy unless I'm 100% sure it will work right. Please if anyone knows what the supposed problem is I would sure like to know. Thanks

Old 10-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Mudman
Senior User
Mudman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ask the dealer if they have a mount for a 1995 F-150. The front part of the frames should be the same.

Mudman

Old 10-30-2005, 03:30 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Gearheadjo
All I know is when you go to the western, fisher, or meyer plow sites and look up mounting kits and blades for the 93-95 broncos, there just isn't anything listed. Then I put in 90-92 broncos and there where parts numbers and such that fit those years. Pretty strange. I've got a 95 lined up to buy but am weary to buy unless I'm 100% sure it will work right. Please if anyone knows what the supposed problem is I would sure like to know. Thanks
The ONLY difference I know of between the front end of a 92 and a 93 was the addition of ABS to the brakes. I HAVE a Bronco from BOTH years and I have disassembled the front ends on both trucks. And its NOT a body or frame horn issue because 92 was the FIRST year of the LAST redesign of the Bronco up through the end of production in 96.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:43 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
well the 79 has a solid dana 44 and the newer ones use the newer style weaker dana. not a very good thing for plow work. you will wear one out in no time.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:53 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
78-79 did still have the solid Dana44 but from 1980 through 1996 had the articulated Dana44! Its the SAME AXLE and consequently no "weaker" than its solid cousin.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:11 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by greystreak92
78-79 did still have the solid Dana44 but from 1980 through 1996 had the articulated Dana44! Its the SAME AXLE and consequently no "weaker" than its solid cousin.

it went from straight axle to ifs. the ifs is hated by 4 wheelers it is a weak design not durable and has proven that again and again. the ifs is not made for a plow.

Old 10-30-2005, 06:35 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Doesn't change the FACT that the actual axle assembly is the same Dana 44 carrier etc. We are NOT talking about suspension durability here. The Dana 44 is still a Dana 44 no matter which form it comes in. I won't get sucked into the age old argumaent about TTB being "weaker" or a "poor design" its a futile endeavor because neither setup is ideal. (And its NOT HATED, Baja racers prefer it becuase its more stable and allows for a LOT more articulation without putting the opposite wheel way off camber). It depends entirely upon what the intended use of the vehicle is... end of story. Making an arbitrary comment that claims the TTB is "weaker" assumes that it is in some way inferior to other axle setups and it just isn't a true statement when you are talking to an entire communtiy of truck owners as opposed to that group of them who prefer to take their vehicles 4-wheeling.

By the way, if the TTB wasn't "made for a plow" why the heck are there plows available for these trucks? That is as arbitrary a comment as saying the TTB setup is "weaker".

Last edited by greystreak92; 10-30-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:08 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
BroncoRoadKill is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Mudman
Ask the dealer if they have a mount for a 1995 F-150. The front part of the frames should be the same.

Mudman
Did you see if they offer the kit for this year truck? If they do, I would just order that one cause the f150 and bronco are identical from the doors forward.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Gearheadjo
Freshman User
I have a 95 Bronco that I want to buy but just not sure if thats the way to go or find something else with straight axle up front. I'm really a Ford guy and can't see myself in a Jeep or something. I think with air bags( I have them in my 79) I'll be ok. Thanks greystreak 92 for all the helpful info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snowplow on 95 Bronco

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.