1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948-1960: 1949/1950 VIN # Cut off

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:34 PM
seizure66
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Then it must be this one, from the frame, I did not see it on the glove box

Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Does that truck have a 12' bed on it?

Old 09-12-2010, 11:23 PM
seizure66
Junior User
I did not measure, but yes, I'd say so...

Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by seizure66
I did not measure, but yes, I'd say so...
OK, well the model would be 9R8T, look for that stamped someplace. I believe the serial number should start something like 87RT.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:05 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
That's not the serial number on the frame. What you found is the part number for the frame. Same with the number you found on the intake manifold.

Keep looking on the top of the frame rail (either side in the engine compartment) for a number stamped lighter than the one you found.

Tell me more about your truck. Engine? 6 or 8 What is the serial number on your documentation - title, bill of sale, etc. What year is the truck supposed to be? edit: saw it's supposed to be a 48

The number you're looking for will be something like 88RT 123456 or 87HT 123456.
btw the firewall stamping you found says the original color was Meadow Green, built in Long Beach on June 4 and was vehicle #71 down the assembly line.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:46 PM
seizure66
Junior User
Originally Posted by mtflat
That's not the serial number on the frame. What you found is the part number for the frame. Same with the number you found on the intake manifold.

Keep looking on the top of the frame rail (either side in the engine compartment) for a number stamped lighter than the one you found.

Tell me more about your truck. Engine? 6 or 8 What is the serial number on your documentation - title, bill of sale, etc. What year is the truck supposed to be? edit: saw it's supposed to be a 48

The number you're looking for will be something like 88RT 123456 or 87HT 123456.
btw the firewall stamping you found says the original color was Meadow Green, built in Long Beach on June 4 and was vehicle #71 down the assembly line.
88RT25350 is the serial/VIN #. Just got it texted to me from PO, they have the old title, looking for new. It is a flat 8. Was a fleet truck for the fairgrounds in Maricopa county, AZ for it's first job. Thanks for your help mtflat! I need ot figure out what to do with these WM wheels, I see there is some good conversation going on in regards to this.....any advice? Maybe for another thread...all the best.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:13 PM
texasguy
Junior User
Originally Posted by texan2004
1 - Year truck is registered as (or believed to be)
2 - VIN # (The whole thing including the 98RC, 98RD, etc.)
3 - Bed - Raised Panel or flat panel
4 - Is this the original bed
5 - Transmission
6 - Column shift or floor shift
7 - # stamped into the firewall if you have one.

?'s 3-6 may not be relavent if the truck has had major mods but if you know anything about what was there it would be helpful. I'll be sure to keep results updated. I need to figure out how to set up a link to the spreadsheet or data base I use.

Participation is obviously voluntary but would be greatly appreciated. Any other information on the truck you may want to provide would also be welcomed.

Sugggestions for other information to collect are also being welcomed.

Thanks,

Carl Gustafson - a.k.a Texan 2004

Carl

1. 1948 F5
2. 88RT93176
3. Bed is flat on back - no script. It is a dump bed - there is a tag which is not a FOMOCO tag. I will post with info of what it says later.
4.Supposedly, the bed (including wood) is original - the truck came from an original owner - of course, the wood is trash. Again, does not appear to be a FOMOCO part.
5. 4speed manual.
6. Floor shift
7. ?

Other: Flathead V8. WB is ~157". Bed length is ~14 ft. Original color appears to be a medium/light blue. The truck supposedly has spent it's life in southern Oklahoma. There was a vin tag on the firewall and in the glovebox. No a/c, ps, pw or bun warmers.

Edit: intentional bun warmers.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:42 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by texasguy
Carl

1. 1948 F5
2. 88RT93176
3. Bed is flat on back - no script. It is a dump bed - there is a tag which is not a FOMOCO tag. I will post with info of what it says later.
4.Supposedly, the bed (including wood) is original - the truck came from an original owner - of course, the wood is trash. Again, does not appear to be a FOMOCO part.
5. 4speed manual.
6. Floor shift
7. ?

Other: Flathead V8. WB is ~157". Bed length is ~14 ft. Original color appears to be a medium/light blue. The truck supposedly has spent it's life in southern Oklahoma. There was a vin tag on the firewall and in the glovebox. No a/c, ps, pw or bun warmers.

Edit: intentional bun warmers.
Carl, that would be a 158" WB and the 14' bed means that it is not original. The truck came equipped with a 12' script bed. 14' appears to have been a common replacement, I think for hauling hay. All the ones I have seen, including mine were 8' wide as opposed to the original 7'3" wide.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:05 PM
texasguy
Junior User
Harley, thanks for add'l and correct info.

The truck came from a popular hay area of OK so I had assumed it was primarily a hay hauler. The bed is a dump arrangement. I don't have the truck yet - the truck is being delivered in a few weeks so I only know what about an hour of crawling around it resulted in. I did notice the tag on the bed was not a Ford tag. The dump bed appears to be primarily a couple of steel I-beams running down the length of the frame with a length of wood (~1" thick) sandwiched between the truck frame and the dump frame. The bed itself has members running perpendicular to the frame - also wood and then wood running the direction of the frame. Since the perpendicular pieces were wood and extend a foot or so each side beyond the steel beam, I assume it was not an extremely heavy-duty application.

So, part of my question: I assume the dump bed was an aftermarket item but the owner also supposedly had this on the truck from day 1. Did Ford make these trucks w/o beds? Or would a dealer add aftermarket beds? Did Ford make a factory dump bed?

The bed mechanism appears to run from the trans (small driveshaft back to the pump/cylinder) and there are 2 levers inside coming from the floorbard that appear to operate the bed. I'm assuming it's a PTO type arrangement and was added to the trans aftermarket?

Thanks for anyone with info. Should I take this discussion to another thread?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:09 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

It would probably get more attention to make it a separate thread.

Your truck bed sounds almost the same as the one on my 48 F6 that was made for hauling grain.

On color, originally '48 trucks came only in Black, Red, Yellow, Green or Gray

Ford made these trucks available as Cab and Chassis and it is my impression that most were sold that way.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:17 AM
grandpappy
New User
i have a 1949 f1 ford vin# 98rc 366758 ch, i am trying to find some history of this truck, as far as i know it is all original speedo says 11,370miles bought from dairy farm runs real good it has a 239 flat head 3 speed on floor ithink it was from chicago assembley plant? but i would like to know original color it is black now but i see red under the hood in spots. if any body can help me out i would appreciate it.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:52 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by grandpappy
i have a 1949 f1 ford vin# 98rc 366758 ch, i am trying to find some history of this truck, as far as i know it is all original speedo says 11,370miles bought from dairy farm runs real good it has a 239 flat head 3 speed on floor ithink it was from chicago assembley plant? but i would like to know original color it is black now but i see red under the hood in spots. if any body can help me out i would appreciate it.
Look for a series of numbers and letters stamped into the top portion of the firewall. If you find them, post them here. The guys can decode and decipher them for you. Part of that string I believe is the paint code.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:25 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Hi grandpappy, what you have posted isn't actually a VIN - those came into being later. But the serial number you listed (98rc 366758 ch) tells us a couple of things.

9 = 1949 or 50 model
8R = 239 flathead V8
C = half ton pickup
366758 = assigned serial number and high enough that its clearly a 1950.
CH = Chicago assembly plant

As Wayne said, look for a firewall stamping - if it was originally red it should start with a 2 or an E. It will tell you color, plant, date of assembly and maybe some other things.

To find the original color you might check behind the kick panels, under the dash or behind the gas tank. Usually the paint remains there undisturbed.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 AM
grandpappy
New User
thanks for the info, i went out this morning and can clearly see the numbers on firewall,the numbers are as follows 3ch 8e 840. as far as inside of cab the inside appears to have been repainted a few times. hopefully these numbers can tell me more. thanks again,allen.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:21 AM
grandpappy
New User
i appreciate the help with this!! the numbers on firewall are 3ch 8e 840.this is a great site!! meeting other enthusiasts is good.

Quick Reply: 1948-1960: 1949/1950 VIN # Cut off