1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948-1960: 1949/1950 VIN # Cut off

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97HC312907

9 = 1949/50 (Yours is a 50 baed on the VIN #)
7H = Flathead 6
C = 1/2 ton F1
312907 = VIN sequence number.

DAH837
DA = Dallas, TX assembly plant. fis with your comment about it being a Texas truck. Wish to hell I would have found this one before you did.

H8 = August 8, 1950 build date
37 = ??

You got a great one to start with. Hell it looks driveable as is.

Thanks for the info. Big help.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:26 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Vin # List

Thanks for the information. It pretty much verifies what I concluded from reading the earlier postings on this thread.

Has the list of numbers you've accumulated been published somewhere online? Or, is it a file that's available to download? I'd be interested in seeing the entire list.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
It's not published anywhere. I can e-mail you a copy if you would like.

After looking a little deeper I'm not sure that I am correct with regards to the build date but I may have. Your firewall stamping is missing some numbers. The "H" is where the color code would normally be and "H" is the code for Palsaides Green which is what color your truck appears to be. On the other hand, the "A" could be the color code and that would indicate Raven Black which looking at your firewall and your comment on the intial psoting could also be correct. The "normal" (if it can be called that) format for these stampings for a Dallas truck built in late 1950 appears to be as follows:

DL X YZ(Z) 1234

Where DL = Dallas
X = Color Code (In your case, this could be the "A" which would indicate Raven Black or the "A" could be the second letter in the assembly plant code for Dallas. Dallas was identified as either DL or DA. In your case, it could have been identified as simply "D".)

Y = Month Code - in your case, if D = Dallas, A = Raven Black, then H = August
Z(Z) = day of the month for the build date. in your case, this would be the 8th.

1234 = some sort of plant specific code we have not yet figured out.

My best guess on yours is:

D = Dallas
A = Raven Black
H8 = August 8, 1950 build date. this would fit with your flat sided bed.

Just curious, are your rear fenders flat where they attach to the truck bed or do they have a notch for the raised panels on the earlier style bed? I found one 1950 truck here in Pearland, TX that was built in September 1950 in Dallas, It had the flat sided bed but the rear fenders still had the notch for the raised panel bed sides. Curious how yours is configured,

In any case, I hope this helps. Like I said earlier, I wish I had found your truck while it was still here in Texas.

BTW - Where are you in CT? My family's homestead from the late 1800's is Weston, CT, near Norwalk, Westport, etc. in the SW part of the state.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Yes, I'd like you to email the file to me. As you know, I'm new to this site. Is there any way to post my address offline so all of the spammers don't get hold of it?

Since they used DL on the patent plate, I think I'm going to agree with your theory that they just used a D for the plant code on the firewall and that the paint code is A - Raven Black. It looks like the truck has been repainted twice. On top of the black is a medium taupe / light brown color that appears to have been done professionally. This color is throughout the interior and the exterior. The dark green is a quick repaint on only the exterior. I've attached an interior view where the first repaint color is vsiable.

In answer to your question regarding the rear fenders, they are flat, no notch.

After looking at your gallery I can understand why you would like to have found the truck before me but, I paid a bit more than the $175 you paid for yours. After monitoring Ebay for almost two years, I took a real gamble and bid on it sight unseen, other than the online photos. It was the first and only time I've bought anything on Ebay. Fortunately, it has turned out to be pretty much as advertised.

We live in north central Connecticut, about 8 miles southeast of Hartford. It's about 70 miles from Weston which, in Connecticut, is about half way across the state.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:36 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
My other grandfather actually grew up in Hartford. A couple of his brothers were at the big circus fire way back when but managed to get out under the tent or so I'm told. Anyway, keep that truck off those salted roads up there. Good luck with it.

Send me a note a carl_w_gustafson at yahoo dot com and I will send you the excel file.

Originally Posted by ct50f1
Yes, I'd like you to email the file to me. As you know, I'm new to this site. Is there any way to post my address offline so all of the spammers don't get hold of it?

Since they used DL on the patent plate, I think I'm going to agree with your theory that they just used a D for the plant code on the firewall and that the paint code is A - Raven Black. It looks like the truck has been repainted twice. On top of the black is a medium taupe / light brown color that appears to have been done professionally. This color is throughout the interior and the exterior. The dark green is a quick repaint on only the exterior. I've attached an interior view where the first repaint color is vsiable.

In answer to your question regarding the rear fenders, they are flat, no notch.

After looking at your gallery I can understand why you would like to have found the truck before me but, I paid a bit more than the $175 you paid for yours. After monitoring Ebay for almost two years, I took a real gamble and bid on it sight unseen, other than the online photos. It was the first and only time I've bought anything on Ebay. Fortunately, it has turned out to be pretty much as advertised.

We live in north central Connecticut, about 8 miles southeast of Hartford. It's about 70 miles from Weston which, in Connecticut, is about half way across the state.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 PM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
!950 F1 Stake

Here is my info, at least as much as I can find.

1 - Year truck is registered as - 1950
2 - VIN # 98RC-457999
3 - Stake Bed
4 - Is this the original bed - Probably not
5 - Transmission - 3 speed
6 - floor shift
7 - # stamped into the firewall if you have one - I can not find any stamp on the firewall or fram rail but both have new paint that migh be covering that info.

Small rear window
Model listed on glove box door - 9RC
Plate on firewall - *98RC*457999 *HP

Is the HP for Highland Park?

What I know about the truck. I am at least the 3rd owner. I have only owned it for a little over a month and only had it home for 10 days. It was registered in TN before 1962, that was when the owner brought it to MI and used it to haul produce from his farm to his market stand about 3 miles away. He replaced it in 1972 and put it in the barn where it stayed till 2008.

The fellow I bought it from bought it and a bunch of other farm equipment and reconditioned the F1 over the Winter of 2008 and showed it in the Monroe MI area the summer of 2009. I say reconditioned because he fixed and rebuilt what was needed and left it original where he could. Most everything that moved including the engine was rebuilt, parts of the interior are original so I know it was Meadow Green when new as it is now. The stake body does not appear to be original, it is slightly longer than stock, not sure if it started life as a pickup or cab and chassis or stake. It also has overload springs.

Unfortunately the fellow that had it most of its life has Alzheimer and the fellow I bought it from didn't ask the right questions soon enough. The truck shows less than 10,000 miles, which looks possible from looking at wear items but seems low even with it's limited use. It does have an old gas station sticker on the door jam that was for the 2500 mile service with a month and day but no year.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:42 PM
calorchard
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vin # F10D4L-12077

54 F100

Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by calorchard
vin # F10D4L-12077

54 F100
That's not 48-50 (grin)

F10 = F100

D = 223 six

4 = year

L = Longbeach, CA assembly plant

rest is serial # string

Old 12-30-2009, 08:42 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by JimBollman
Here is my info, at least as much as I can find.

1 - Year truck is registered as - 1950
2 - VIN # 98RC-457999
3 - Stake Bed
4 - Is this the original bed - Probably not
5 - Transmission - 3 speed
6 - floor shift
7 - # stamped into the firewall if you have one - I can not find any stamp on the firewall or fram rail but both have new paint that migh be covering that info.

Small rear window
Model listed on glove box door - 9RC
Plate on firewall - *98RC*457999 *HP

Is the HP for Highland Park?

... original so I know it was Meadow Green when new as it is now. The stake body does not appear to be original, it is slightly longer than stock, not sure if it started life as a pickup or cab and chassis or stake. It also has overload springs.
Hi Jim,
You've got a fairly late '50. HP is the designation for Highland Park, MI. The 9RC model designation was used for both box and flatbed half-tons. You already know about everything that is possible to know. It's very interesting to me that a truck that late in 1950 still has a small rear window.
Thanks for sharing the data.
Tim

Old 12-30-2009, 03:52 PM
wifes50ford
New User
help?

Anybody know about where to find vin on a 1948-1950 Panel wagon?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Welcome. I should be the same places as on a pickup.

1. Data plate on the firewall - right side.
2. Rating plate on the glovebox door
3. Stamped on the top of the frame rail near the motor mount crossmember. Sometimes only the serial number string and should be on the right side, but some guys report it on the left frame rail.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 AM
bailegb
Junior User
Just picked up a 49 F3. VIN 97HY209092. Floor shift 4 speed. Flathead 6.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:47 PM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtflat
Hi Jim,
You've got a fairly late '50. HP is the designation for Highland Park, MI. The 9RC model designation was used for both box and flatbed half-tons. You already know about everything that is possible to know. It's very interesting to me that a truck that late in 1950 still has a small rear window.
Thanks for sharing the data.
Tim
Thanks Tim, I guess I didn't think about how late it really was. I guess the conversion to column shift wasn't across the board or was even later.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:00 PM
js292
Junior User
Here's what I got on mine;

vin# 98RC369606

And from the tag on the fire wall;

Nevermind, just realized it's the same with the exception of a DD at the end. I looked for a stamp on the firewall and didn't see anything.

My truck is a;

1950 with a 239, 3spd on the floor, raised panels...

John

Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Jetman
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Project F1

Here is my information on my 1951 F1

1-1951
2- F1R1RH22177
3- raised bed
4- yes
5- 4spd
6- Floor
7- None

It appears that my vehicle was used by the armed sevices as it has some military nomeclature on the door.

Quick Reply: 1948-1960: 1949/1950 VIN # Cut off