Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948-1960: 1949/1950 VIN # Cut off

Old 11-29-2018, 01:35 PM
Blick567
Junior User
Blick567 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Blick567 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ok. My brother and dad are working on the red, originally green, truck. I’m actually trading it to my brother for a Mustang he has apart in his garage. I know, but what am I going to do with three trucks. my truck, blue 50, vin listed above and my dads truck that I am currently working on. So he needed one and has the mustang.

so his truck.... 97HC283245.

Firewall stamping best they they can make out.
EGFIMD20603P

so what the heck does that mean?????

Old 11-29-2018, 08:27 PM
mtflat
Post Fiend
mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
EG is Edgewater NJ assembly plant
F1 is your half ton
M is color code for Meadow Green
D20 fits in the data for April 20 assembly date which makes it 1950
603P is assembly line code for vehicle down the line

ps - I'd trade it for the Mustang too! I've enjoyed a '65 coupe, '75 MII and '82 fox body coupe. Currently have 70 sports roof (belongs to my son) and '07 Shelby GT. Good trade - what did you get?

Old 11-29-2018, 09:22 PM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
I agree that Mustangs can be cool! What's the specs? And pics please of all the trucks and Mustang too... We would also like the info on your Dad's truck too!

Old 11-29-2018, 10:08 PM
Blick567
Junior User
Blick567 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Blick567 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The mustang is a 66 coupe, 289, auto, factory air. White with red interior. He has had it for almost 30 years, just never got the thing off the ground. Kind of like my dad and the 49 I found for him over 25 years ago. They both are good at taking the vehicle apart. The putting it back together where the trouble comes in.

I’ll get get the vins for my dads trucks he had two to make one good one. I have them some where just have to locate them.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:06 PM
Jeff Ellis
New User
Jeff Ellis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Vin # confusion....

Hi, ive been reading alot on your site to try and figure out my vin but i havent had any luck. I purchased a project truck that only had a cab, box and flathead v8. My son and i are building the rest. Now ive tried to get a breakdown on my vin but still no luck. Im hoping you can help. MD83H50-27482 On the tag it olso has Model- MD83 Engine OE-8860 TRIM- 16 And Paint- 42 Any hepl would be a big help. Thank you in advance JEFF

Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jeff Ellis View Post
Hi, ive been reading alot on your site to try and figure out my vin but i havent had any luck. I purchased a project truck that only had a cab, box and flathead v8. My son and i are building the rest. Now ive tried to get a breakdown on my vin but still no luck. Im hoping you can help. MD83H50-27482 On the tag it olso has Model- MD83 Engine OE-8860 TRIM- 16 And Paint- 42 Any hepl would be a big help. Thank you in advance JEFF
Welcome to the forum, Jeff! I see you have a Canadian truck, which has a much different serial sequence than US production trucks. I also see yours is a Mercury, which makes it even more unique. Your breakdown is...

MD = Mercury M47, later known as M1, the same as the Ford F47/F1 with trim differences.
83 = pickup body style
H = assembled at "Home Office" Windsor Ontario
50 = 1950 model year
27482 = consecutive unit number

None if this is probably anything you didn't already know. Most of this would be obvious by looking at the truck. All Canadian production trucks in 1950 had the 239 V8 engine. Trim code would be the interior color, and if you're looking at it, that's what it is. Same with paint. There's not a lot of options, so you could probably tell us better than we can. Start a new thread with some pictures of your truck, please!

Old 04-01-2019, 01:28 AM
Myers B
Freshman User
Myers B is starting off with a positive reputation.
1950 F2

1 - 1950
2 - 97HD*298437*HP
3 - Raised Panel
4 - Yes
5 - Three speed
6 - Floor shift
7 - OGHM23E31

Old 04-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Myers B View Post
1950 F2

1 - 1950
2 - 97HD*298437*HP
3 - Raised Panel
4 - Yes
5 - Three speed
6 - Floor shift
7 - OGHM23E31
9 = 1949 or 1950
7H = Strait 6
D = F2
298437 = Serial number

HP = Highland Park, MI

0G = Never seen a OG before maybe a OC special color?
HM = Highland Park, MI
23E = 23 day of May
31 = internal code (we haven't figured out yet)

Does yours have dual wipers, dual sun visors, dual outside mirrors, cigar lighter, radio and/or heater (fresh air or cab)?

Old 04-01-2019, 05:10 PM
Myers B
Freshman User
Myers B is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi Moe, it does not have any of those features (except an aftermarket heater). It is a regular truck.

The surviving paint seems to match Palisade Green pretty well, but I do not have a paint chip to physically hold against the truck.

Here are some photos of the truck. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/home/1950%20Ford%20F2

Old 04-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Rodger Dodger
New User
Rodger Dodger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Boyertown Body

Hello, I have what I think is a 1949 F3 with the Boyertown body. The title indicates 1949 and the serial number is 97 HY * 311405* CS. I have owned it since about 1974 and I drove it home and parked it and haven't cranked it since. It's been setting in a field by my barn for the past about 45 years. I had planned to restore it in retirement, but I have so many projects I've set aside over the years that I probably won't get them all done. Anyway, It is a big six cylinder with floor shift. As I stated it has the Boyertown body and I understand there are very few of them left. I will try to post pictures of it.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:21 PM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Rodger Dodger View Post
Hello, I have what I think is a 1949 F3 with the Boyertown body. The title indicates 1949 and the serial number is 97 HY * 311405* CS. I have owned it since about 1974 and I drove it home and parked it and haven't cranked it since. It's been setting in a field by my barn for the past about 45 years. I had planned to restore it in retirement, but I have so many projects I've set aside over the years that I probably won't get them all done. Anyway, It is a big six cylinder with floor shift. As I stated it has the Boyertown body and I understand there are very few of them left. I will try to post pictures of it.

breakdown of your serial number is as follows

9 = 1949 or 1950 with your number I would say it's a '50
7H = Strait 6
Y = F3
311405 = remainder of the serial number

CS = Produced in Chester, PA

Would love to here what the factory stamps are that are directly into the sheet metal on the center of the firewall just above or below the seam

Old 04-01-2019, 10:05 PM
mtflat
Post Fiend
mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
Cool truck - not many have been restored. Thanks for sharing your info.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:40 PM
Rodger Dodger
New User
Rodger Dodger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Boyertown Body

Thanks and you're welcome. It was sold to me as a 49. From what I've seen on this site I thought it was a 49. I can't recall the thread, but I think it may have been this one and from the serial number, i had decided it was a 49. I'm not trying to argue, but if you have more information, please share. I had deduced from others serial numbers that it was made late in 49. If I can find the right reply, I will post it again. I would really like to know for sure. I lost the title years ago and was planning to go and get another. i would like to be correct on the year, if possible. Thanks for the help. by the way, the front bumper is in another photo. It's a cow catcher LOL. I will try to find the photo with it and post it, too. If anyone's interested in this truck for a project, let me know. I had read that there were only about 2500 of these Boyertown bodies made and if you search google, you will find one overseas that has been restored. I also saw that someone on this site had one in CA, I think. I kinda rescued this one from a little bar called the grape vine in Cocke Co., TN. For those of you not familiar with this area, it was the moonshine capital of East TN. I could tell a hundred tales about the area, but don't have time or space here. LOL This truck sat on the side of a creek that was eroding the bank, next to the outhouse that was over the creek. That was the bar's rest room... I went in one day and asked the bartender if they wanted to sell it and he said yes. I don't remember the price, but I think it was like $600 or something. Remember this was about 1974 or so. I drove it across a small plank bridge and then home. I was surprised it even cranked! and more surprised the bridge held it. Since then the whole bank has eroded and i'm sure if I had not bought it, it would have ended up in the creek. It doesn't look much different now than it did then. Only a bit more rust on the rear doors. It's a shame I haven't had time and money to restore it, but I have too many other projects waiting. i'm 64 this year and looking forward to 67 when I can draw full ss and hopefully have time, if not money. So do the math and I was in my late teens, 19, i think, when I bought it. Back then, you could go into any bar in Cocke Co., and if you were tall enough to reach your dollar to the top of the bar, they would sell you a beer or illegal liquor. LOL. I started driving my brother's 57 dodge lancer there while he was in the army in about 67 or 68. I was 13 or 14 and my friends and I would load up and go to Newport for friday night or saturday night. I think i fought my way out of every bar there over the next ten years. Thank goodness I got married and quit going or I probably wouldnt be here today. it was a rough place and there were frequent shootings in the bars and outside them. Not to mention the plain old fashioned bar fights. I was in a place called Brenda's (the name should give you an idea of what type of place it was) one night when a fight broke out and they were busting pool cues and beer bottles and having a good time and Brenda was like 6'4" an 220 or so and she was slinging them out the door into the gravel parking lot and I was just keeping my head down and trying to not get involved. it lasted about 5-10 minutes and when it was over, one of the patrons asked her how she handled running a "bar" and she said "it's just another night in a bar" I had to laugh. It was funny and you had to be there, but it was hilarious the dry delivery she had. Anyway, when my brother got back from the army in like maybe 69, he was surprised at the mileage. I forgot to run the speedo back like we used to do. Remember? drive them backwards or put them on a block and put them in reverse or take the odomenter cable loose and put it in the drill chuck and turn it back. Anyone remember that? LOL Anyway, that's enough BS, if anyone can pinpoint the year, i would really appreciate it. and thanks again. Here's a picture of the front bumper leaning against the back of the truck.

Originally Posted by Moe Craig View Post
breakdown of your serial number is as follows

9 = 1949 or 1950 with your number I would say it's a '50
7H = Strait 6
Y = F3
311405 = remainder of the serial number

CS = Produced in Chester, PA

Would love to here what the factory stamps are that are directly into the sheet metal on the center of the firewall just above or below the seam

Old 04-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dschr60 View Post
I have had this truck since the early 80's . PLEASE help me gather any info so I can plan my rebuild planning things finally.
1949 F-3 17" tires 14" rear drum brakes
Fire wall plate 9HY266958 BRANCH CS

Weight plate 6800# 97HY266958

Frame at motor mount 97hy266958

Firewall stamp 4C or G 53B354
8 lug long bed high side raised panel box original
on the floor shift
TY
Dave
I believe that this was built in Feb 3, 1950

Originally Posted by BMalloy View Post
Below is the information on our 1950 (which we now realize may be a 1949?) F1.

• Registered as a 1950
  • VIN - 97HC264096
  • Raised panel bed
  • Original bed
  • 3 speed on floor
  • Firewall # 40S29M841
Can anyone help decipher the above information? If in fact our truck is a 1949 and not a 1950 as registered, does anyone have any experience with getting that changed?

Thanks in advance.
This one is December 29, 1949

Originally Posted by Rodger Dodger View Post
Thanks and you're welcome. It was sold to me as a 49. From what I've seen on this site I thought it was a 49. I can't recall the thread, but I think it may have been this one and from the serial number, i had decided it was a 49. I'm not trying to argue, but if you have more information, please share. I had deduced from others serial numbers that it was made late in 49. If I can find the right reply, I will post it again. I would really like to know for sure. I lost the title years ago and was planning to go and get another. i would like to be correct on the year, if possible. Thanks for the help. by the way, the front bumper is in another photo. It's a cow catcher LOL. I will try to find the photo with it and post it, too. If anyone's interested in this truck for a project, let me know. I had read that there were only about 2500 of these Boyertown bodies made and if you search google, you will find one overseas that has been restored. I also saw that someone on this site had one in CA, I think. I kinda rescued this one from a little bar called the grape vine in Cocke Co., TN. For those of you not familiar with this area, it was the moonshine capital of East TN. I could tell a hundred tales about the area, but don't have time or space here. LOL This truck sat on the side of a creek that was eroding the bank, next to the outhouse that was over the creek. That was the bar's rest room... I went in one day and asked the bartender if they wanted to sell it and he said yes. I don't remember the price, but I think it was like $600 or something. Remember this was about 1974 or so. I drove it across a small plank bridge and then home. I was surprised it even cranked! and more surprised the bridge held it. Since then the whole bank has eroded and i'm sure if I had not bought it, it would have ended up in the creek. It doesn't look much different now than it did then. Only a bit more rust on the rear doors. It's a shame I haven't had time and money to restore it, but I have too many other projects waiting. i'm 64 this year and looking forward to 67 when I can draw full ss and hopefully have time, if not money. So do the math and I was in my late teens, 19, i think, when I bought it. Back then, you could go into any bar in Cocke Co., and if you were tall enough to reach your dollar to the top of the bar, they would sell you a beer or illegal liquor. LOL. I started driving my brother's 57 dodge lancer there while he was in the army in about 67 or 68. I was 13 or 14 and my friends and I would load up and go to Newport for friday night or saturday night. I think i fought my way out of every bar there over the next ten years. Thank goodness I got married and quit going or I probably wouldnt be here today. it was a rough place and there were frequent shootings in the bars and outside them. Not to mention the plain old fashioned bar fights. I was in a place called Brenda's (the name should give you an idea of what type of place it was) one night when a fight broke out and they were busting pool cues and beer bottles and having a good time and Brenda was like 6'4" an 220 or so and she was slinging them out the door into the gravel parking lot and I was just keeping my head down and trying to not get involved. it lasted about 5-10 minutes and when it was over, one of the patrons asked her how she handled running a "bar" and she said "it's just another night in a bar" I had to laugh. It was funny and you had to be there, but it was hilarious the dry delivery she had. Anyway, when my brother got back from the army in like maybe 69, he was surprised at the mileage. I forgot to run the speedo back like we used to do. Remember? drive them backwards or put them on a block and put them in reverse or take the odomenter cable loose and put it in the drill chuck and turn it back. Anyone remember that? LOL Anyway, that's enough BS, if anyone can pinpoint the year, i would really appreciate it. and thanks again. Here's a picture of the front bumper leaning against the back of the truck.
With these other two from Chester, I figure it's a 1950. But If you get a chance can you look under the hood on the firewall to see if you see anything stamped right into the firewall? Would love to see what it might have stamped into it! May have the color and date codes in it.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:43 PM
mtflat
Post Fiend
The data, which is not complete, puts your serial number at a build date sometime in July or August of 1950.

Model year of 1949 ended roughly around 275 or 280,000 as best we can piece it together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1948-1960: 1949/1950 VIN # Cut off

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.