Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948-1960: 1949/1950 VIN # Cut off

Old 02-12-2014, 05:37 PM
pyrocall
New User
pyrocall is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
1949 VIN

Hello all,
After reading through the thread I think I have decoded my vin and firewall stamps. Would like some input to confirm what I think I know.

VIN: 98RC235179
1949 V8 F1

Stamping (best I can determine)
3DL 1H

Black
Dallas
August 1
1021?

Old 02-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Doc
Postmaster
Doc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud of
Looks good to me! That 1021 may just be the factory production number. Somebody else will chime in if I'm wrong. Welcome!! Show us some more pictures of that black beauty. It's the best color.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:10 PM
pyrocall
New User
It would appear that I am not smarter than my computer, cant figure out how to upload a picture, I read the parts about using the manage attachments button but I cant find that anywhere.... Maybe it is not active yet as I am a new member.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Doc
Postmaster
Doc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by pyrocall View Post
It would appear that I am not smarter than my computer, cant figure out how to upload a picture, I read the parts about using the manage attachments button but I cant find that anywhere.... Maybe it is not active yet as I am a new member.
First, make yourself a new thread on the forum and introduce yourself. You won't be able to use the "manage attachments" feature because you're not a "supporter". So the easiest way is to just simply upload the pictures to just about any website such as picasa, shutterfly, a personal webpage, etc. Then click on that little icon at the top of the message you're typing that looks like this: Then just paste the web address of your picture into the pop-up. (Some other guys will be along with some very long instructions here shortly )

Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 PM
pyrocall
New User
Thanks for the info. Posted a new thread like you said, check it out.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1297289-new-guy.html

Old 02-28-2014, 02:02 PM
slink30a
New User
slink30a is starting off with a positive reputation.
decod a vin#

I have this vin# DDA83BHP9242 could someone decode it
Im new to the forum

Slink30a

Old 02-28-2014, 02:57 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by slink30a View Post
I have this vin# DDA83BHP9242 could someone decode it
Im new to the forum

Slink30a
Welcome to the forum! From your vin, I'd say you're from Canada, or at least your truck is. Are you sure it starts with DDA? I have no reference for DD, but BDA83BHP9242 would decode as follows;

BD=Ford F-1
A=standard truck
83=pickup body
B=deluxe cab & trim
H=built at Home Office (Windsor, Ont)
P=1952
9242=your consecutive unit number

Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:24 PM
slink30a
New User
slink30a is starting off with a positive reputation.
yes im from Ont. could it be a O
you could be right it to be a n B
thanks for the welcome
Slink30a

Old 03-01-2014, 12:59 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by slink30a View Post
yes im from Ont. could it be a O
you could be right it to be a n B
thanks for the welcome
Slink30a
If your truck is an F1, it's a B. If it's not an F1, let me know what it is and we can go from there. But that really is about your only option. Codes for other series are totally different.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:43 AM
D Sokol
Senior User
D Sokol is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.D Sokol is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Okay, here is my submission to the ever growing list;

Titled as 1950
☆98RC 458142☆ HP. Frame stamp & glove box match with addition of model 9RO on g/b.
Smooth side bed panels w/p.o. aluminum floor
Small back window
8BA engine
4 speed, non-synchro floor shift (heard it called a 'crash box' by an old timer)
Stamp is very shallow and someone decided a screw was necessary in between 2 of the digits.

Original color seems to be red.
If that is the case, one of the digits should be a 2 on the firewall correct?

Ah the thrill vehicular archeology.

DjS

Old 05-17-2014, 01:55 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader
harleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by D Sokol View Post

Titled as 1950
☆98RC 458142☆ HP. Frame stamp & glove box match with addition of model 9RO on g/b.
Smooth side bed panels w/p.o. aluminum floor
Small back window
8BA engine
4 speed, non-synchro floor shift (heard it called a 'crash box' by an old timer)
Stamp is very shallow and someone decided a screw was necessary in between 2 of the digits.

Original color seems to be red.

DjS
The model for an F1 is 9RC, no such thing as a 9RO

I'm confused about the firewall stampings, you mentioned one should be a 2 but you did not post the stampings.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:12 PM
D Sokol
Senior User
D Sokol is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.D Sokol is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I was confused about the glove box tag saying 9RO also, but that is clearly what it says. So I am going with 'previous owner messed up', or pomu.

As for firewall stamping.
It must have been the end of the day at the plant because they are so faint/shallow I thought they were just scratches. Also add another pomu because someone decided a screw had to be added right where the digits are.
I brought up the "2" because I am trying to work backward deciphering the markings. If I know the original paint was red (through investigation this I am 99.9% sure), one mark may be a 2. Now somewhere else in the string there should be an "HP" for the plant code, maybe the rest of the hieroglyphics will make more sense.

I know, I am grasping for straws............ but it's fun!

DjS

Old 05-17-2014, 06:25 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
The 9RO thing could be something as innocent as the guy with the hammer held the C stamp upside-down on the first try, then turned it over to stamp it right, creating an O instead of a C. Stranger things have been known to happen.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:16 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader
harleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to behold
I was confused about the glove box tag saying 9RO also, but that is clearly what it says. So I am going with 'previous owner messed up', or pomu.

As for firewall stamping.
It must have been the end of the day at the plant because they are so faint/shallow I thought they were just scratches. Also add another pomu because someone decided a screw had to be added right where the digits are.
I brought up the "2" because I am trying to work backward deciphering the markings. If I know the original paint was red (through investigation this I am 99.9% sure), one mark may be a 2. Now somewhere else in the string there should be an "HP" for the plant code, maybe the rest of the hieroglyphics will make more sense.

I know, I am grasping for straws............ but it's fun!

DjS
I don't believe there was an HP plant code. If you are thinking Highland Park, I believe the code was HM. And if I'm not mistaken, the paint code for Vermilion was N.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:51 AM
mtflat
Post Fiend
mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.

Titled as 1950
☆98RC 458142☆ HP. ... Original color seems to be red.

DjS
I think Joe may have stumbled on another error in the printed material that I've always accepted as true.

In logging over 850 truck vins for 49/50 I have 18 listed as HP by owners and none marked HM - interesting

Also from my notes, only one of the 18 has a firewall code listed and that was a 49 that used a letter for the color code (E HP 2C 12****)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1948-1960: 1949/1950 VIN # Cut off

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.