1948-1960: 1949/1950 VIN # Cut off - Page 60 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948-1960: 1949/1950 VIN # Cut off

 
  #886  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:28 AM
52 Merc's Avatar
52 Merc
52 Merc is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burbank, WA
Posts: 7,653
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
If I'm reading that correctly, it says 1C KC 15J 49. And if it's correct, it's color code 1C, Kansas City assembly, production date 15 September, production code 49. That seems to blow a hole in Ross' theory that that particular number is the number of the particular series built at that plant during the course of the model year. I would think in 9 months, far more than 49 F6's would have been built. Unless someone can show me some kind of actual evidence, I believe the significance of that number has been lost to time.
 
  #887  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 AM
ALBUQ F-1's Avatar
ALBUQ F-1
ALBUQ F-1 is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NM
Posts: 23,954
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Are cowl stampings on 48-50's "the" serial number, or info that is in addition to it, like the color code?

Looking at Havi's cowl, I have to wonder how they stamped them. The cowl is badly distorted by the stamping, so done by hand on a completed cab with no backing? A really bad idea. Hard to believe that would even work.
 
  #888  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:45 AM
52 Merc's Avatar
52 Merc
52 Merc is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burbank, WA
Posts: 7,653
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Are cowl stampings on 48-50's "the" serial number, or info that is in addition to it, like the color code?

Looking at Havi's cowl, I have to wonder how they stamped them. The cowl is badly distorted by the stamping, so done by hand on a completed cab with no backing? A really bad idea. Hard to believe that would even work.
The VIN is different, these numbers are in addition, just like the later trucks.

I've always been curious how they stamped those numbers, too. Every one I've seen has looked just like that. I would guess it had to be some kind of machine rather than a guy with a hammer and 'chisel.'
 
  #889  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 AM
havi's Avatar
havi
havi is offline
I'll have the Roast Duck
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northshore, MN
Posts: 9,476
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Wayne, you ID'd the stamping correctly, but the 1C seems to be lost as to what the color actually is. Texan2004 referred to it earlier about how it doesn't jive with any common codes?

Ross, it sure is distorted, isn't it? Also, this truck originally had the flat-6, replaced by an EAB v8, bronze( I think?) in color, aluminum intake, metal timing cover, and here's a pic of the front. Tell me what you think this all is about?
 
Attached Images    
  #890  
Old 07-29-2012, 11:12 AM
ALBUQ F-1's Avatar
ALBUQ F-1
ALBUQ F-1 is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NM
Posts: 23,954
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
The VIN is different, these numbers are in addition, just like the later trucks.

I've always been curious how they stamped those numbers, too. Every one I've seen has looked just like that. I would guess it had to be some kind of machine rather than a guy with a hammer and 'chisel.'
Take a look at Jolly Roger's cowl on his '52, looks like it had a backed in the "roll" under the stamping; and the letters are pretty uniform, little distortion: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12111180

Originally Posted by havi View Post
Wayne, you ID'd the stamping correctly, but the 1C seems to be lost as to what the color actually is. Texan2004 referred to it earlier about how it doesn't jive with any common codes?

Ross, it sure is distorted, isn't it? Also, this truck originally had the flat-6, replaced by an EAB v8, bronze( I think?) in color, aluminum intake, metal timing cover, and here's a pic of the front. Tell me what you think this all is about?
LOL, I know what that is, because that's "sort of" how my truck came. Car water pumps (Merc?) for dual narrow belts with an "adapter" to the frame pads. Likely a Canadian engine with all the aluminum pieces. Is the intake a C8RT casting?
 
  #891  
Old 07-29-2012, 11:25 AM
havi's Avatar
havi
havi is offline
I'll have the Roast Duck
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northshore, MN
Posts: 9,476
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
I'll have to scrape the gunk off to check. I kinda laughed when I saw the two different diameter pulleyes.
 
  #892  
Old 07-29-2012, 12:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1's Avatar
ALBUQ F-1
ALBUQ F-1 is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NM
Posts: 23,954
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by havi View Post
I'll have to scrape the gunk off to check. I kinda laughed when I saw the two different diameter pulleyes.
They are supposed to be different diameters, but check the width. Both look to be narrow, and you can see the different offsets on the WP sheaves. So to use the engine in a truck, you either need to make up a cooty-bob "adapter" like you've got, OR put the narrow sheaves from those pumps on correct truck WPs, OR get truck pumps with truck sheaves and put a new crank pulley on it along with new generator pulley. Note with the present setup you are limited to car fans, too... Have fun!
 
  #893  
Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 PM
havi's Avatar
havi
havi is offline
I'll have the Roast Duck
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northshore, MN
Posts: 9,476
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
They are supposed to be different diameters, but check the width. Both look to be narrow, and you can see the different offsets on the WP sheaves. So to use the engine in a truck, you either need to make up a cooty-bob "adapter" like you've got, OR put the narrow sheaves from those pumps on correct truck WPs, OR get truck pumps with truck sheaves and put a new crank pulley on it along with new generator pulley. Note with the present setup you are limited to car fans, too... Have fun!
water pump pulleys are different than each other is what I meant.

My other two engines, the water pump pulleys match each other.

I guess I'm confused, as I don't know what's right or not?

Not intended to get OT for this thread, my apologies.
 
  #894  
Old 07-29-2012, 01:22 PM
havi's Avatar
havi
havi is offline
I'll have the Roast Duck
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northshore, MN
Posts: 9,476
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
The 1C I think is 10. The radius of what looks like a C is different than the C in the KC part.
 
  #895  
Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM
nick1367
nick1367 is offline
New User
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
nick1367 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to fin VIN on F3

Hello ,
I'm looking to buy this F3 and wanted to know if this is the VIN and can someone decode it?
97HY 168145

The truck is very solid with the original flat head 6 in it and appears to be just about all original and unrestored. Just doesn't have the two piece rims but they are 8 lugs.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
 
  #896  
Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 PM
52 Merc's Avatar
52 Merc
52 Merc is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burbank, WA
Posts: 7,653
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by nick1367 View Post
Hello ,
I'm looking to buy this F3 and wanted to know if this is the VIN and can someone decode it?
97HY 168145

The truck is very solid with the original flat head 6 in it and appears to be just about all original and unrestored. Just doesn't have the two piece rims but they are 8 lugs.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you've found a great project. be sure to start a new thread about it and share your details and photos there when you go forward with your purchase.

There's not a lot of info to be gained from the vins of the early trucks. It decodes as a [9]1949 (or 50) [7H]6 cylinder [Y]F-3 one ton truck. Nothing you didn't already know. The remaining numbers, 168145 is your consecutive unit number. As low as it is, it seems most likely to be a 1949 model year. Ford carried over the serial sequence for 1950, but the database here seems to indicate the changeover was around the 300,000 mark. Check for the patent plate on the firewall. That's the tag in the left hand corner under the hood. It may have 3 letters after the serial number there, which would indicate the build plant. There may also be some numbers/letters stamped directly in the firewall. If you see those, post them here, as well. We may be able to give you a few more details about your truck.
 
  #897  
Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 PM
nick1367
nick1367 is offline
New User
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
nick1367 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford F3 VIN

Hello,
So is this the actual VIN that I found on the glove box door? Or do I need more info off the firewall? I need to get the VIN for the owner so we can get the title for this truck. Then it will be mine!!

Thanks for the reply...
 
  #898  
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 PM
52 Merc's Avatar
52 Merc
52 Merc is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burbank, WA
Posts: 7,653
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by nick1367 View Post
Hello,
So is this the actual VIN that I found on the glove box door? Or do I need more info off the firewall? I need to get the VIN for the owner so we can get the title for this truck. Then it will be mine!!

Thanks for the reply...
Yes, that is the VIN. But before you go get your papers in order, be sure to check for the frame stamping to be sure it matches. There should be the glove box tag you found, another one on the firewall tag that I mentioned above, and the frame stamp. The frame stamp is considered the legal VIN for law enforcement. That's why it is critical you find it and it matches. It's most commonly found on the top of the right side (passenger) frame rail, under the hood near the motor mount, but could be anywhere between the cab and the radiator support. It might take a little effort to find it, but it is necessary.
 
  #899  
Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 PM
nick1367
nick1367 is offline
New User
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
nick1367 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Now wheels??

Merc 52, thanks for the info. Gotta check those two places tomorrow. Do you know any info on the 8 lug wheels for this 49 F3? The guy is trying to squeeze me for more money saying he has $600 tied up in some 10 ply bias tire and steel wheels that I am having a hard time believing. Is there a current Ford 8 lug that will fit this truck??

Thanks in advance!
 
  #900  
Old 09-30-2012, 11:08 PM
52 Merc's Avatar
52 Merc
52 Merc is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burbank, WA
Posts: 7,653
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by nick1367 View Post
Merc 52, thanks for the info. Gotta check those two places tomorrow. Do you know any info on the 8 lug wheels for this 49 F3? The guy is trying to squeeze me for more money saying he has $600 tied up in some 10 ply bias tire and steel wheels that I am having a hard time believing. Is there a current Ford 8 lug that will fit this truck??

Thanks in advance!
It's best to take other, non-vin related questions to a new thread to maintain the special topic here. But it's not hard to believe only $600 could be invested in a set of wheels and tires for anything, let alone one of these big old trucks.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1948-1960: 1949/1950 VIN # Cut off


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.