Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What the heck is up here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 05:41 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What the heck is up here?

Well, this weekend i changed my transfercase oil. man that crap was brown, probably never changed before.

i has an extra 2.5 qts sitting on the shelf, so i decided to do my dad's dually while i was at it. i took out the top fill plug, as a vent for when i take out the lower one. but to my surprise, oil came out of the top plug... a significant amount too, considering it only holds 2.5 qts. i sat back and reasoned this for a moment. i noticed how there was no other fill holes, and how the heck did the guy at the plant get more than that into it, unless he filled it on a bench?

Old 10-24-2005, 05:45 PM
CEP
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same thing happen when I changed the oil in my transfer case, an 01. At least one, if not 2 extra qt's.

Old 10-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The seal between the transmission and transfer case can leak, overfilling the transfer case and underfilling the transmission. Check the trans fluid level.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 782 Likes on 595 Posts
Are they the same transfer case for a six-speed and automatic?
Reason that I am asking is I recently had my transfer case out of the truck for rebuilding and the two are separated by a spline shaft with two seals at both ends.
Any fluid that would have leaked past the transmission seal would have leaked out between the halves long before it would have made it's way into the transfer case.
But then that makes it all the more mysterious on how your transfer case got overfilled.
I have no advice to offer in this matter, just the thought that it would very improbable for transmission fluid to work it's way into the transfer case from what I have been able to observe.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 PM
CEP
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Are they the same transfer case for a six-speed and automatic?
Reason that I am asking is I recently had my transfer case out of the truck for rebuilding and the two are separated by a spline shaft with two seals at both ends.
Any fluid that would have leaked past the transmission seal would have leaked out between the halves long before it would have made it's way into the transfer case.
But then that makes it all the more mysterious on how your transfer case got overfilled.
I have no advice to offer in this matter, just the thought that it would very improbable for transmission fluid to work it's way into the transfer case from what I have been able to observe.
I agree, its highly unlikley it's caused by a transmission leak. - it would leak between the halves before entering the transfer case.

Suspect someone at the plant got a little carried away when they filled the unit.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Lagerhead
Senior User
Do they maybe fill them off of the tranny at the factory and they can get the extra fuild in because it is at a differant angle then when it is installed in the truck

Old 10-24-2005, 08:18 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Consider yourselves lucky. I remember talking to a guy a few years ago that was having the t-case on his brand new truck replaced under warranty because it didn't get filled at the factory.

Turn into a grenade with about 500 miles on the ticker.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:27 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cookie88
Consider yourselves lucky. I remember talking to a guy a few years ago that was having the t-case on his brand new truck replaced under warranty because it didn't get filled at the factory.

Turn into a grenade with about 500 miles on the ticker.

ughh...! stories like that make the hair on my neck curl...!

Old 10-24-2005, 08:34 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
That's why I love Fords.....

Chevys use one seal on the transfer case input to seal out auto trans juice. The adapter housing has ATF in it from the transmission all the time. Once that one seal goes out, say bye bye to your AUTO t-case (that's supposed to have "Autotrac" fluid in it.

Cody

Old 10-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Uncle Knuckle
New User
Check the breather on the t-case and the tranny. If they share the same breather hose, (nifty cost saving idea), separate them. The trans fluid has been known to "boil up" and over into the t-case.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 782 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle Knuckle
Check the breather on the t-case and the tranny. If they share the same breather hose, (nifty cost saving idea), separate them. The trans fluid has been known to "boil up" and over into the t-case.
There you go!
That has to be the way they are getting overfilled.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:57 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys. the transfercase takes ATF right?

Old 10-25-2005, 05:39 PM
wycowboy
Elder User
If it is aluminium, which it should be.J

Old 10-25-2005, 05:41 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
2.0 US quarts of good ol' Mercon/Dexron.

Pop