Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Front-right clunking sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Trakk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front-right clunking sound

My truck is making a clunking sound whenever I hit bumps. I thought it was something related to the suspension, but the mechanic I took it to said he checked my shocks and springs and tightened some stuff up and didn't notice anything wrong with any of the suspension system. It still clunks. He suggested it might something loose allowing my exhaust pipe to bump around.

I could swear it's still the front right suspension, though. It sounds specific to my front right wheel...even at slow speeds when I'm coasting to a stop it clunks. It sounds like an empty cardboard box being bumped around. Do any of you have any ideas what this could be?

Old 10-24-2005, 05:03 PM
rodolan
Senior User
Talking

My 02 4x4 c.c. is doing the same thing whenever I hit a bump. Let me know if you figure it out.......Thanks

Old 10-24-2005, 05:11 PM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
Get under the truck and shake the calipers with your hand. They might be loose.

The "floating" pin on the brake assembly needs to be looooobed. Cleared my problem right up.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:16 PM
rodolan
Senior User
I rotated my tires a few weeks back and I checked calipers. More like a thump when I hit pot hole..

Old 10-24-2005, 07:58 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the thump you are describing sounds like one I had on my F150. Check your spindle bearing (the one that is supporting the axle shaft in the housing). Use a large screwdriver and with the hubs unlocked, see if you can move it.

Then check the U-Joint.

Also, see if you can move the axle assembly in and out. You may have broken a snap ring in the hub.

You may also have a shock that is broken internally. Visual inspection will not reveal it. I had a shock valve to unscrew itself inside and it took a while to figure it out.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:12 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
swaybar bushings. i have the same problem. waiting my kit from energy suspension.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:22 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
i have a clunk on BOTH sides of my 02... i know what it is... ball joints... the STOCK ball joints on these trucks are JUNK..! this is the second set that have been put in my truck... they were brand new when i got it... now they are fading... one more winter with the way the roads get around here and they will be toast... i'll put a top notch set of GREASABLE BALL JOINTS in and i'll never have to worry about them again, unless of course i get lazy and don't grease them...!

Old 10-25-2005, 07:19 AM
rodolan
Senior User
Talking

This weekend if i get a chance I'll check out some of those suggestions thanks a bunch..

Old 10-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Trakk
Senior User
Really good start guys! Sway bar bushings, U-joint, spindle bearings, shocks, calipers... I'll check it all.

Johnny8, I don't think it's the ball joints. Just had those replaced a few months ago and my truck was already beginning to make the clunk sound...though not nearly as much as now.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Hey Guthrie- Where did you buy the bushings? I was looking at Energy's website this morning and it looks like they don't sell to the public.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:35 AM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Trakk
Really good start guys! Sway bar bushings, U-joint, spindle bearings, shocks, calipers... I'll check it all.

Johnny8, I don't think it's the ball joints. Just had those replaced a few months ago and my truck was already beginning to make the clunk sound...though not nearly as much as now.
ya if you replaced them recently then you can rule them out... that's good, those are a little pricey...

Old 10-25-2005, 06:43 PM
6mmbr
New User
Check the front spring tip insulators too.
My F350PSD with HD front suspension was clunking on bumps and also was "squeaking" (I could hear it when in a parking garage especially). Dealer said that I had worn them through. When replaced, all noise gone.
Cheaper than all that other stuff people have listed.

Old 10-25-2005, 06:49 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the common answer to a knocking/popping sound when hitting bumps, is the sway bar bushings, the ones that connect the sway bar to the axle itself. i have the problem. im debating on fixing it or getting over it.

Old 10-25-2005, 06:50 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
Hey Guthrie- Where did you buy the bushings? I was looking at Energy's website this morning and it looks like they don't sell to the public.
i had to buy them from a aftermarket parts dealer. i got the bushings for around 40 bucks and intall is very easy

Old 10-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
i have the problem. im debating on fixing it or getting over it.
Nice. I know how you feel... for me it's the weak HPOP, the leaking up-pipe gaskets, the sway bar bushings, the gear shift handle, the carpet, the golf ball dent in the passenger side, the knocking injectors, the ex-girlfriend's dog chewed hole in the center seat, and the list goes on.

Quick Reply: Front-right clunking sound