Alaska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Termination dust :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Termination dust :(

Well it's official, we got our first real snow today throughout Fairbanks. Unless things really warm up, it may be here to stay. Forcast is only calling for highs NEAR 30. Hopefully things stay below freezing because I hate it when it snows, melts, snows again, and melts again. Roads get slippery and my truck gets dirty.

I have to also learn to drive with my brakes again. I have been using the engine braking feature (Tow/Haul Mode) on my automatic transmission which slows me down and I don't have to use the brakes as much. Out of habit I had it on this morning on the drive into town. At the first stoplight on the highway, the rear tires locked up (I was in 2WD). I simply turned off the T/H mode and things were good. I'll probably mount my winter tires this afternoon and stop at NAPA to buy winter wiper blades.

Don't forget to put your snowbrush/ice scraper in your vehicle. Flares, tow strap, jumper cables, and cold weather clothing are also good items to keep in you vehicle.

Drive safe

Old 10-11-2005, 09:36 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
Good GOD, I CAN'T WAIT!!! You guys suck. There's nothing I want more than to see some snow and a good excuse to buy some new tires for the F250. w00t!

Getting close now, only 6 more months to go!

Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Just we careful of the iceworms and VERY VERY careful of the Snow Blams. The whoopties are okay,,,the snow blams are BAD!!

Old 10-12-2005, 07:01 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Dropped to about 1000 ft here in the past few days. Gota go up on the pass tommorrow and get more firewood to offset the price of fuel oil and electric. Man $0.25 per kw. Watt a rip off. Ha made fun of it. Yea the dwag will get to experience the spring snow. Wet and slushy here at that time...Probley put on the Studded tires on my week off.

PS Chris I am trying to make it over to Anchorage sometime in the next week or so. What is your schedule? I drop by and say hi on my way through.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:27 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Hey Mike, I'm just came out. Have 11 more days to go. My next R&R starts the 23rd. Don't know if you'll be thru that week or not, but if you are you're welcome to stop in. I'm going to try to take the rest of this year off as far as projects go and resume again next year.

Boy, .25kw, that does hurt. I can't believe that it's allowed to go on. I know where I work, it isn't costing much more now than it did a year ago to retrieve the same product, yet the price at the pump has gone up 2 fold. Heck, the tankers are loading down there, and then coming around the corner and dropping it off at the refinery in Nikiski (Tesoro).
When I'm gone to work, I turn the heat back to 55. Sure when I get home the house is cold, but I just throw on a sweat shirt and crawl under the covers and by the next morning the house is back up to 68. Never goes above that unless company comes over.........
Kinda wish I had a wood stove. Might have to look at geting one put in.....

Old 10-12-2005, 10:53 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Yep our electric is produced by Diesel Gen Sets in the winter. We have been running the wood stove pretty much nonstop. I will be coming through town Monday night, picking up a new garage door and Tsaumi signs for work Tuesday morning the heading back. I'll try your # when I get in your location

Old 10-12-2005, 11:09 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Which Monday, this coming or next?? Also where are you getting your garage door? i got one a Lowes (Wasilla) and when I got it home it had 2 broken windows. It's been almost 3 months now, and they still are giving me a run around on getting it fixed. Heck it's only 12"x16", but I paid $400 for this door, you'd think they could just cut me two pieces of glass and let me go on my merry way......

Old 10-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Crumm
Elder User
We got another small dusting last night here in Fairbanks. I figure this is just about enough for this year. I am ready for spring. When I drove over the Chena yesterday and saw the ice slush flowing down the river I can home and threw the mothballs in the boat. Sad to think that it will be six months before I can get out on the water again. I might just have to become a snowbird..

Old 10-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Icicle
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are lucky to live where you do, beautiful...

I love the snow, Im jealous....

Old 10-13-2005, 09:58 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Crumm
We got another small dusting last night here in Fairbanks. I figure this is just about enough for this year. I am ready for spring.
Crumm.....your are way to funny

Old 10-14-2005, 08:47 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Chris I'll be coming through this Monday. Probley be leaving her around 1pm so I'll be through Palmer say 5ish. As for my Garage door I buy from Pioneer Door. Good service and they come to Valdez here and there so if you every have an issue they will stop by.

Went up on the pass yesterday to cut firewood. I would say there was about 8 inches on the ground. Need another 24 plus a real good freeze so everthing will harden up. I got snowmachine fever brewing.

Old 10-15-2005, 01:23 AM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
He, He.....I hear ya Mike. Sorry I will miss you. Got another week to go myself. Drive safe, stay safe and I'm sure we'll se each other again sometime....

Oh yea, LET IT SNOW; LET IT SNOW; LET IT SNOW

Old 10-15-2005, 10:42 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

You know that Crumm is going to drive down and throw a snowball at you with all the "LET IT SNOW" happiness. But that's ok everytime I drive through Palmer all I see is grass in the winter. You guys need that snow.

PS. Crumm if you put in a yellow paint ball it makes throwing snowball that much more fun.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:09 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Ain't that the truth. Snow never stays in Palmer.....always blows away. Heck, I'll probably see snow when I visit my family in VA next month before I see it up here! Might just have to shoot a couple whitetail deer and bring back some steaks seeing how I didn't get a "caboose" or a "carry-boo" this year.

BTW I HATE trying to book airline reservations over the phone, especially when the guy on the other end is "from over there....." Talk about frustration

Old 10-18-2005, 06:10 PM
AlaskaPowerStroke
Senior User
Big flakes in Fairbanks! Should be another adventurous drive home from work. Just a bit more snow and out comes the snow machine!
Have a safe drive home all!

Quick Reply: Termination dust :(