Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Reload this Page >

86 f150 302 efi won't start with key all the time but will start with remote start

Notices

86 f150 302 efi won't start with key all the time but will start with remote start

Old 10-22-2005, 01:11 PM
moon42
Freshman User
moon42 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello all,

I am having a puzzling problem with my 86 f150. Sometimes it will start with the key sometimes it will just crank and crank. However if I hit the remote start button it will start up everytime. So far I have replaced the ignition switch, checked all the wiring on & going to the engine however I have noticed that when moving the wires going to the engine it will start more frequent but I can't find the problem. I have noticed that when it will start with the key the brake light on the instrument cluster turns on like it should and it sounds like I hear a relay clicking. when it won't start with key the brake light doesn't come on and I hear no relay. I was wondering if anyone has a idea what may cause this or if there are and good diaghrams of the start cycle on an 86 302 EFI. Any help would be appreciated thanks for your time

Old 10-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
You may have a problem with the linkage in the steering column. I would take the shrouds off around the column, and when it gives you trouble, reach down and help the rod going down the column with your hand, and see if it will start.

I am assuming you replaced the ignition switch which is located on top of the column, underneath the dash. If so, you know the rod I am talking about, which you had to slip into the switch.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:39 PM
moon42
Freshman User
I appreciate the idea I will give that a try and see what happens I had not thought about the rod itself being the problem Thanks John

Old 10-24-2005, 04:52 PM
moon42
Freshman User
Dave

I tried the idea with the rod going to the ignition switch but still no luck sometimes it starts just fine sometimes it won't start without using the remote start. The problem all occured when the wiring harness that runs from the driverside fender well to the engine was moved. A friend of mine and I have checked all the wires and everything seems fine with them. I am just curious as to which wires control the engine at the start cycle. The run cycle seems fine because when the remote start is on, I flip the lock cylinder to the run position and hit the brake to disengage the remote starter. It runs fine (this is how I have been driving the truck) and then I shut the truck off with the key. I have put a test light on to the plug in connectors on the drivers side of the engine bay and everything seems to have power to there at least. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
I am going to assume it always cranks over, but sometimes doesn't fire?

The first position of the key puts power on the coil +, powers the computer relay, which powers the fuel pump, engine injectors, etc. and computer. It also powers the module on the side of the distributor.

The start position of the switch sends power from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch which is on the clutch pedal or the side of the auto tranny. From there is goes to the starter relay on the passenger side fender, which activiates the starter.

Here's a diagram of an 87, but it's much like your 86.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/g...3d800a3a44.gif

Here's the 86 diagram. Some of the wire colors may be different.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/g...3d800ce996.gif

Old 10-24-2005, 05:24 PM
moon42
Freshman User
Thanks for the diagrams. And yes you are correct it always cranks but won't always fire except when using the remote start and then it fires everytime.

Thanks again
John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.