'00 4.0L misses at idle in gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 07:35 PM
MSRanger
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'00 4.0L misses at idle in gear

My '00 4.0L 4x4 Supercab Ranger automatic (96K miles) has slowly developed a miss at idle in gear. I changed the plugs at about 65-70K (and don't want to check them unless I have too!) and the IAC at about 85K (with FTE's help!) due to the hard-start, stall that's been described here many times. I've bought it new, and it's given me very little trouble.
It runs fine at all speeds but idle, always starts right up, never stalls.
The idle miss occurs at any engine temperature, and any weather. If I take it out of gear, it idles fine. No problems coming off idle. The miss isn't bad, but it's annoying.

Searching other posts, arcing plug wires (original) look like perhaps the most likely cause, with worn plugs being second most likely. I've seen no CEL, no flashing O/D light, etc. Since I don't have a code reader, and am old school, I was looking for suggestions to try first, before going to the local AutoZone at lunchtime for a code reading.

What'dya think?

Old 10-31-2005, 07:16 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, 10 days ago...sorry this one slipped past!

If you haven't already done so, get the codes read. With modern EFI, trying to circumvent that first, all-important step is like banging your head against the wall.

Having said that, when you replaced the IAC did you clean the throttle body and all associated ports for the IAC? Another thing to look at is cleaning the Mass Air sensor wire. These items can get some carbon build-up over time than can cause a whole host of annoying little problems.

Ford often recommends against cleaning these items, but our users here have described safe methods of doing so that have resulted in vast improvements.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:21 PM
XR 50 Racer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 00 ranger had a similar problem with mine one owner never given me a problem then one day this misfire started the code said misfire on #5 after replaceing the O2 senser on the drivers side and all the plugs and wires i just found out that i have a burnt valve ! ya that is the same thing i said so you might want to check on that just a thought

Old 11-17-2005, 01:32 AM
devilsword
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you gap your spark plugs and if so were you careful not to crack the ceramic tip? I know alot of people that just pop them in and hope for the best. Also is you get a chance take a volt reader to all your wire's. i had one burnt out one and i couldn't tell that it was bad by just looking at it