1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Going to change my lower rad hose any tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 02:09 AM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Going to change my lower rad hose any tips

If the weather is nice I'am going to change the lower rad hose on my truck before it desides to blow at the worst moment. The Gates rad hose I got has no spring so do I have to take the spring out of the other hose or can I run with out. I can't see that hose sucking flat with the fill hose piece in the center. If I do I guess I will have to wrestle the spring into the new hose.

I did buy screw type all stainless clamps to replace those spring clamps Ford uses I think it should be okay to use the screw (worm drive) clamps.

I bought 4 US gallons of antifreeze plus I got a bottle of additive I don't know if I pick up enough antifreeze. The antifreeze that is in the rad now isn't very old because there has been engine work done so the thermostat has been changed etc.

With no rad cap on the radiator I assume every thing has to be filled throught the bottle on the fender.

Any other things I should do ?

Old 10-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
I think you need two bottles of additive, not just one.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:15 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive been running the gates without the spring and i havent had an issue with it. kwik had it another bottle of additive. the worm clamps work. i think ford uses thoose cause there faster in the manufacturing process