1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

My truck still stalls out coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 08:34 AM
lmadore
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Quality of the spark may be a problem as well.
I just had to replace my distibutor. Hasn't run that well for over 6 month. Rough idle and stalling. After the distributor, TFI, and Pick-up coil were replaced, the truck runs like new and has a lot more pep.
TFI and Pick-up are both pretty hard to diagnose until they fail. Found a Ford TSB that indicated that a faulty distributor / pick-up coil can contribute to irratic timing, poor running, and stalling. The diagnostic involved using a scope and analyzing the quality of the spark. A slight timing advance once per crank revolution is enough to cause the problem. ECA is pretty picky about the quality of the signal that it recieves from the TFI module.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-27-2005, 07:15 PM
nickmobile67
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1975Ford
It wouldn't hurt to replace the IAC if its carboned up real bad. If the truck was running to good, it could be the spark plugs are also carboned, and might need to be replaced. Pull a spark plug or two and check the condition of spark plugs, replace if necessary with some Motorcraft spark plugs. Some times it is necessary to remove the upper throttle body and clean thoroughly with throttle body cleaner, replace the upper throttle body gaskets.

Other items to replace are
  1. PCV valve,
  2. Cap and
  3. rotor,
  4. Gas filters,
  5. Air filter
  6. crankcase filter are sometime overlooked and need to be replaced,
  7. And good set of spark plug wires,
  8. Make sure the battery terminal are cleaned, it does make a difference on how an engine will run on these EEC IV computerized systems.
my 75 cents.
I did pull two plugs, they were slightly worn but looked just as they should. All of those parts I've replaced within 10k miles, including battery cables last year.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:24 PM
89F150Utah
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar problem on a 1989 F-150/ 5.0 with 5 speed. Intermittently the truck will stall when coming to a stop. It appears the idle hunts up and down or just goes too low and truck dies. I have swapped O2 sensor, plugs and cap/rotor. Interestingly enough when I unplug the MAP sensor the truck runs like crap initially, then when warm it runs fine and hasn't stalled. I bought a new MAP sensor and it still stalls. I have replaced the IAC valve and was wondering if the ground could be bad. It appears that the IAC and injectors and just about every other sensor gets its ground thru the EEC. I found 864 ohms to ground and was wondering if anyone else has found or tried this. Thats seems like a lot of resistance to me, but when the MAP sensor is unplugged the truck runs find after warmup. I figured the truck probably would not run well if this was not the designed resistance to ground. The catalytic converter has never been replaced but then we still get back to when the MAP sensor is unplugged it runs fine except Idle speed is slightly higher at 1000 rpm. Any guru's have any ideas? By the way, the filters have been replaced.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:26 AM
srercrcr
Postmaster
Hey folks, can we go back to Fuel Injection 101?
Both sides of the throttle valve must be cleaned with carb cleaner twice a year.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:36 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
My 86 302 efi had this problem and wasn't throwing codes at first,and Me and my mechanic were going over it tryed all the stuff mentioned in above posts and it wasn't untill my last test ride that it coughed one up it turn out to be the sensor for the EGR valve sticking replaced that and no more stalling when I come to a stop.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:47 PM
89F150Utah
New User
Thanks for the info. I will check into these things.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:26 PM
nickmobile67
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've now noticed that my fairly new cap and rotor (with brass contacts) get carboned up, and that makes it worse. In the spring I'll put new plugs, cap, and rotor on there, wires are newer and should be ok.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:34 PM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,394 Posts
Check the vacuum at the Map sensor. If it is 17 or less at ilde you have a problem in the engine.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:02 PM
lisagoud
Posting Guru
5.0 1986 EFI problems I've encountered

The first thing I would say to do is pull the codes both not-running and runing. I had the same problem due to a defective ACT and an out of range O2 sensor. If that o2 sensor is out of whack on the EEC-IV, you are in for a NIGHTMARE (trust me...I'm just coming out of a in truck rebuild situation with electrical sensor hell after putting it back together)> Also, disconnect your spout connector and check your timing. It's supposed to be at 10BTC according the the radiator plalte but my scanner was calling for 20 BTC. Anyway, get to that point and give me a shout back. Lastly, disconnect your battery and pull your ECM out from under the dash(almost by gas pedal)...take off the wiring harness, clean it up with a q-tip and put it back. Be prepared for some headaches putting it back togerther...check every harness plug you have, clean them and dielectic them. rescan and see what you have....good luck.If you need schematics, let me know.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:23 AM
mnmzimmer5
Junior User
I had a similar problem with an 86 f150 (5.0). It was the injectors. They are expensive so do all of the other stuff listed above first and if all else fails start testing injectors, although I suggest replacing them all at once

Old 02-01-2006, 12:12 PM
felske
Freshman User
hey, about your stalling problem....
Do you have cruise control?
if you do, does it work all the time, some time, or never?

If the cruise does not work i got your answer, but i wont waste time if it does work.

later.....

Old 03-09-2010, 01:04 AM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned
Originally Posted by nickmobile67
When I push the clutch in while slowing down to stop, I've had problems with my 86 302EFI stalling out. I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through it because I just changed the oil. I havn't even gone though the whole tank of gas yet, it already seems better, but still stalls out once in a while. Should I be using better gas or something?
Hey nickmobile67,
I have a similar problem, did you ever find what your problem was?
Thanks

Old 03-14-2010, 01:20 PM
felske
Freshman User
Hey,

Most likly it is the VSS sensor. (vehical speed sensor) It is located either at the tail end of the tranny or on the transfer case. it is a very simple working sensor. it uses a rotating magnet disk that makes and break a magnetic curcuit. the ECM needs to know how fast the truck is going when you are down shifting.

If your cruise control acts up too, it is a very good indication that this sensor is shagged.

When you are down shifting, to come to a stop, the throttle is closed and the engine revs up because you are using the engine to slow down. If the ECM does not see that the truck is still moving, then it only sees that the engine is reving high and the throttle is closed. therefore the ECM slams the air bypass valve shut to try and slow down the RPM. Once you put your clutch in and the wheel no longer drive the engine, it stalls out.

this sensors can somtimes be a pain to set up. If you change it, and over tighten it, it will pinch the magnetic disk. if the disk is pinched it cant move and therefore wont transmit the speed to the ECM

This will also only happen with 5spd trannys.

hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:39 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by felske
Hey,

Most likly it is the VSS sensor. (vehical speed sensor) It is located either at the tail end of the tranny or on the transfer case. it is a very simple working sensor. it uses a rotating magnet disk that makes and break a magnetic curcuit. the ECM needs to know how fast the truck is going when you are down shifting.

If your cruise control acts up too, it is a very good indication that this sensor is shagged.

When you are down shifting, to come to a stop, the throttle is closed and the engine revs up because you are using the engine to slow down. If the ECM does not see that the truck is still moving, then it only sees that the engine is reving high and the throttle is closed. therefore the ECM slams the air bypass valve shut to try and slow down the RPM. Once you put your clutch in and the wheel no longer drive the engine, it stalls out.

this sensors can somtimes be a pain to set up. If you change it, and over tighten it, it will pinch the magnetic disk. if the disk is pinched it cant move and therefore wont transmit the speed to the ECM

This will also only happen with 5spd trannys.

hope this helps.
This only only happens to trucks newer then 1986 our trucks don't use a VSS.
Glenn

Old 04-25-2019, 09:25 PM
elgundo2
New User
My F250 international 7.3 stalls after a hard brake or slow down

And my cruise control does not work either
Originally Posted by felske
hey, about your stalling problem....
Do you have cruise control?
if you do, does it work all the time, some time, or never?

If the cruise does not work i got your answer, but i wont waste time if it does work.

later.....