Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor has now horse power

Old 10-13-2005, 01:04 PM
JasonBrod
Senior User
JasonBrod is starting off with a positive reputation.
motor has now horse power

I have an 86 which has had its motor replace with a 351 from a 302. It was changed to a carb, 2bbr, but the ignition is the same EEC IV. It runs but has no horse power. There is a computer, but NO other sensors what so ever. I have often thought that if I replace the ignition with an older type like points or a MSD system would that help? The fact it runs is ok, but I am wasting alot of gas when it takes forever to get upto 65 MPH and towing anything is out of the question.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
well you cant run eec iv and a carb especially with no other sensors. your best bet is to go with an msd system and older distributor that pre computer basicly. or make sure the 351w has all the same sensors your 302 previously had. you know your 302 efi harness would have worked if the 351w was an efi motor as well. so that to is an option if you want even better mpg when done.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:58 PM
ALSAIR
Elder User
ALSAIR is starting off with a positive reputation.
You need to switch to a Duraspark ignition system. I did the switch as well. Holley sells a Throttle body set-up with a computer to utilize the TFI dizzy. They range from $700 to $1,400. Switching to a duraspark is cheaper. Do a web search or a FTE search and put in Ford Dura spark. I picked up a 351 dizzy with Vac. advance and a Duraspark module all for around $100. Go to a junk yard and you'll get it a lot cheaper!
Al

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.