Hello All, F150/E150 4.2 nightmare (solved) for .80 cents

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 08:31 PM
JOhn Murray
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hello All, F150/E150 4.2 nightmare (solved) for .80 cents

Hello, all
I know this forum is for ford truck , well e150 is the same as a truck and the same parts....
Let me tell you about my expensive little problem.... Last month I woke up to a bent rod (thanks to the engineers at ford) So new engine 1 1/2 weeks later towed my 26 ft boat 250 miles no problems with the truck at all ran perfect got great milage! launched the bouat at the lake proceeded to blow up the boat and pay $300.00 to tow it in to the closest dock, hired a cab to take me back to my ford (that ran perfect when parked 6 hr's prior) and started it up and it ran like Garbage? would not even pull it own weight ?? Thought i had got bad gas as I had filled up the night before, Well went to the mechanic and changed the filter NO HELP, changed the pump NO help! Changed the Injectors NO help , Keep in mind this is over three days on my wonderfull vaction (right!) I kept getting a trans code flashing and the overdrive button flashing???? so off to the ford dealer just to be told I would have to leave it for 4 days to check it out, Well that was not an option ...So I Left my Boat at the hotel and proceeded to limp home 250 miles , I made it home and started looking around and found this forum in reading I had found so helpfull articals... But nothing to help with this problem! so I put on my thinking cap (2 weeks later I decided to drop the trans pan since that was the only code showing (it said shorted pressure solinoid) but how could that affect the running of the engine? In checking in the electrical part of the manual it showed the the POSITIVE lead from the injectors feed the trans aswell, so drop the pan pull all the solinoids, head down to buy new ones .....well when I pulled the solinoids I had also removed the wiring harness inside of the trans (1998 4R70W) when at the counter of the parts store after being told the cost for the parts was $125.00 and 5 days wait. I was looking at this wiring harness (it is a solid plastic strip with pluges for the solinoids) and noticed it had a DIODE in line to the shift soilinoids, got me thinking HEY solinods don't short out they either stop working or there resistance values change , But rarley DEAD SHORT. But thats what the code read out said SHORT so I continued to ponder the logic..........If the diode failes and opens up in both directions it could allow feedback from the second solinoid to go back (path of least resistance) to the computer and creat major problems... (NOTE: I had also replaced the EMU,CPU,ECM on this vehical. In any case I decided before spending anymore cash on this I would invest the .80 cents and 1 hours labor to see if my logic made sense.. I could not believe it I started it up and it ran the same??? thinking more decided to reset the Brains of the car so removed the batt for 5 min. and retried it and yes it ran perfect! and yes I had tried the rest prior with no help. It seem no matter what you try ! after making your repairs or even before (REMOVE THE BATT FOR 1-5 min and allow the BRAIN to reset!) Can you believe it, over $2000.00 spent and 4 mechanics later not to mention my Vaction ruined all over some .80 cent Diode hidden in the trans? I like my ford van, But it seems that even the factory techs don't know what to do when some problems show there ugly faces, then it's just pull the trigger time! until it's fixed or you give up and junk it! Ford needs to get there act together! so the owners get a fair deal when it's time to fix something with a vehical they designed. Just so you know, this was a 1998 ford e-150 with a 4.2 engine. also if your looking for a great deal on a new engine? e-mail me , I will give you the company I got mine from ! Delivered to my door $1600.00 with a full 5 year 100000 mile warranty ! SAME company that sells ford there (remanufactured engines)... JUst less money.... Thanks , John stm3@direcway.com

Old 10-12-2005, 10:34 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, thats a fair introductary post if ever I have seen one...

Welcome to FTE, I reckon someone with your obvious knowledge will enjoy it here.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:18 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW - what a story. Sounds like a mess for a while.
Thanks for passing along the info and glad to have you here at FTE and the 4.2 forum!
Hope you stick around.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:05 PM
JOhn Murray
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You for the warm welcome...
I still have a small problem with the overdrive light blincking, Although no hard shifting and the engine still running ok. (no codes) The ford dealer does not seem to know or will not tell me what the overdrive light flashing means? the switch still works and overdrive still works? So the saga continues

Old 10-13-2005, 02:08 PM
mford
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can you please send me the info of the company you bought the engine from i need a new engine

Old 10-13-2005, 02:20 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
John,
From what I (think I) know, the flashing OD light is the transmission's equal of the CEL for the engine.
The flashing light is flashing that there is a trouble code.
I believe the more common problems are a bad solenoid or a bad speed sensor.

I'd have it checked, or investigate it myself and get more info.

Something is leading your truck to tell you it thinks it has a problem. I'd wager an independent transmission shop could help you.
This ain't rocket science.......

Last edited by BrianA; 10-13-2005 at 02:30 PM.