Sponsored by:

Losing Hydraulic Fluid from Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 04:50 PM
raldo_gtm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Losing Hydraulic Fluid from Clutch

I just talked to my local Tranny Fixer-upper place and I got a quote on a replacement for a slave cylinder, $450.00 and he also mentioned that when a slave cylinder leaks, it tends to have a worn clutch. Is this true? The price tag on the clutch job is $800.00....Am I getting Shafted???

I've been replacing fluid more frequently and I'm wondering if it's my slave cylinder. I know that it's inside the bellhousing and that I'm going to need to take off the Tranny and Transfer case. I know that they are heavier than crap and I don't have the muscle to move that stuff around. Any Ideas???

Old 10-11-2005, 05:15 PM
raldo_gtm
Senior User
I've replaced my clutch on my f150 2wd before, it didn't have a hydraulic clutch. Will I have to remove the Transfer Case to replace the clutch? I've never worked on the drive train my bronco before. It's a 94 XL with a 5.0...anyone ever changed their's out yet?

Old 10-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Cheggie
Elder User
You won't necessarily have a worn clutch when the slave leaks - I replaced mine and left the clutch alone because it looked new - I hadn't had the truck long, and figured that the prior owner must have done a clutch very recently. On the other hand, if it's been awhile, you will save money and downtime by replacing worn clutch parts with the slave (if you have a concentric slave like I did - sorry - I assumed that!)
$800.00 doesn't sound like a bad price for R&R transfer case, tranny, replace slave and clutch. I think labor is about 8-9 hours or therabouts by the book time. It would seem to break down $540 labor, $175 clutch kit, $85 slave, or something like that. That figures about $65 per hour. It's not what I would call a great super deluxe awesome deal, but it does seem to be a fair estimate for the complete job at a local garage. Ford would be much higher.
If you do this yourself, you'll need to pull the transfer case, then the tranny. A garage can do it with a special jack when the vehicle is on a lift. If you're on the ground, you need to break it down into smaller components for ease of handling. Pulling the tranny and transfer case together is asking for a dropped part, or a massive hernia, or both.

Last edited by Cheggie; 10-11-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:09 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Your price is high, IMO. You have the Mazda 5 speed with a concentric slave cylinder. The cylinder is basically wrapped around the tranny input shaft and you need to pull the tranny/slide it back far enough to get the bugger out.

I was quoted $550 to replace the clutch in my old F-150. Changing the slave cylinder is another 30 minutes of labor on top of that, TOPS. There are several hours of labor involved in just replacing the clutch. A good clutch kit will run you $200 or so. The slave cylinder, once you get it torn apart that far, is cake.

Your clutch may or may not need to be changed. If the slave is leaking, then the clutch may be soaked in hydraulic fluid and you'll want to change it.

If it were my wallet and my truck, and you don't want to tackle this yourself, I would most assuredly be taking my business elsewhere.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:40 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
even if it is high or fair price, I would get a second quote. It's always a good idea too shop around for the best price.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:35 PM
raldo_gtm
Senior User
Thanks for the input, I'm going to get another quote. I figured that I'd have to remove the Transfer Case. I helped a friend take out a Transfer Case from a Chevy, way too heavy. I think that if I can find a Transmisson Adapter Plate for my Craftsman Floor Jack, then I'll do the job myself. I found some of ebay, but they won't work for my Floorjack.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Manual5.0/96
New User
Hey Raldo,
I had my clutch replaced at a clutch only shop for 680.00 and got a 2 year warrinty with it. Just remember if you do it or some one else does to bleed the clutch then let it sit for 24 hours and bleed it again.

Manual 5.0