Which Super Charger For A 2wd V10 Excursion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 07:14 PM
jscarb2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Super Charger For A 2wd V10 Excursion?

I want opinions on which kind roots-screw type or centrifugal super charger? this is my setup now 2000 limited 2wd v10, 305/35/24 24"x10" rims, zodad mod, k&n filter, drilled and slotted rotors, bilsteins all the way around, rear helwig swaybar, ride rite airbags, land lots radius rods coming, banks power pack coming with the shift minder control.some sort of programmer still not sure
I want opinions on what is the best super charger type (root-screw type or centrifugal) and brand for power, reliability, increased gas mileage(if that is possible) lol! I tow a small 7x16 bike trailer to the drag strip will be getting a 8.5x24 soon but not so much for towing the stock motor does this fine! just power and torque. I would like real world opinions from guys who have them preferably on an excursion. will the banks power pack and the xct xcal2 work with a super charger.
IF YOU HAD THE MONEY HOW WOULD YOU DO IT?
WHAT IS THE BEST SETUP?
BIG RIMS 7 TV'S 6 DISC DVD CHANGER 12 DISC CD CHANGER 2 KICKER L7'S 2000 WATTS LARGE SYSTEM DRAG BIKES I LIKE FAST NICE STUFF! I WANT THE ENGINE TO GO ALONG WITH THE REST OF THE TRUCK!
GIVE ME YOUR OPINION ON EXHAUST SYSTEM PROGAMER AND SUPERCHARGER?
I AM THINKING I AM GOING TO DELETE MY CAT WHEN THE BANKS GETS HERE AND HAVE MY BUDDY AT THE EXHAUST SHOP MAKE UP A PEICE OF PIPE THAT MATCHES THE BANKS SYSTEM BUT DELETES THE CAT AND BUY THE O2 SENSOR THING TO FOOL THE COMPUTER, BUT I WANT OPINIONS ON WHAT IT THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS? I FIGURE I AM GOINT TO BE SPENDING $5000-$7000 BUT WANT TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. THEN AFTER I DO ALL THIS I AM GOING TO HAVE IT PAINTED TO MATCH MY BIKES BLUE AND BLACK MARBLE! I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO DO THIS FOR YEARS TO A TRUCK SO PLEASE DONT TRASH ME THIS IS MY DREAM!

Old 10-09-2005, 07:31 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I think a whipple would be best suited for your application.

As for your exhaust, there are a few different Y pipes out there to suit the V10, I am not overly familiar with any of them - if you do a search in the V10 forum you will be able to come up with some food stuff though.

A superchips should be able to remap the fuel and spark timing enough , but Ken should be able to confirm this in the Chips/tuners forum.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:35 PM
jscarb2
Senior User
the banks power pack comes with headers new y pipe everything but the cat, you use your stock cat. i will check on the whipple charger!

ANYONE ELSE GOT OPINIONS?

Originally Posted by BigF350
I think a whipple would be best suited for your application.

As for your exhaust, there are a few different Y pipes out there to suit the V10, I am not overly familiar with any of them - if you do a search in the V10 forum you will be able to come up with some food stuff though.

A superchips should be able to remap the fuel and spark timing enough , but Ken should be able to confirm this in the Chips/tuners forum.

Old 10-25-2005, 12:19 AM
SuperdutyRob
Senior User
Definitely go whipple. It is the most expensive blower out there, and it takes about a month to get because the cases are built in sweden, but it is a great value. I currently run a powerdyne. I am running 9psi. It works for me, but I am most likely going to go turbo in the next few months. The reliability you get with the whipple is awesome. good luck!!!

Old 10-25-2005, 10:26 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd run a turbocharger system instead, but that's me. The V10 has more than enough torque off the line to compensate for any turbo lag one could be worried about. A pair of T4's would be sized about right, too.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:31 AM
jscarb2
Senior User
does someone make this sytem or are you talking about having one fabricated? just wondering because i have not seen a turbo system for my application, if you could point me in the right direction and i will check that route also! thanks
Originally Posted by frederic
I'd run a turbocharger system instead, but that's me. The V10 has more than enough torque off the line to compensate for any turbo lag one could be worried about. A pair of T4's would be sized about right, too.

Old 10-25-2005, 03:23 PM
SuperdutyRob
Senior User
You have to fabricate one. There is a turbo sytem where the company might give you a universal kit, but it is not for four wheeling. It is called the squires turbo system. The turbo is ran underneath the truck, so the air intake is underneath the truck. They have a websight, but I do not have it on me at this second. Just do a search for the squires turbo system.

Old 10-25-2005, 03:32 PM
jscarb2
Senior User
i think i am going to go with the wipple charger. it is bolt on anyone have one that they can tell me about performance mpg towing ect.?

Old 10-25-2005, 06:22 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
There are a few.
user SkipperW is one that comes to mind at the moment.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:09 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jscarb2
does someone make this sytem or are you talking about having one fabricated? just wondering because i have not seen a turbo system for my application, if you could point me in the right direction and i will check that route also! thanks
Fabricate.

Looking at pictures of the V10 manifold(s) that people are selling on e-bay, it looks as though you can "flip" them, so instead of blowing exhaust down and back, you can blow it up and forward. But that's eyeballing it. one would have to test fit, or measure to be absolutely sure.

If that's the case, you bandsaw off the elbow at the ends, and weld on new elbows. Using an ARC welder or an acetelyne torch one could weld steel elbows to the end, then in turn a turbo flange. That's half the battle right there.

Or, if you want to do things the hard way, you can make it all yourself. Here is an example of a turbo flange, with a homemade collector welded to it. The tubing is mild steel, but rather thick. I used "black pipe" because I had some of it lying around thus it's "free" so to speak. These are for my 500cid stroker. Here is a picture of a 460 cylinder head, with a "jig" I made to put the turbo flage where I want it, and the homemade collector welded to that, and now I'm fitting the header plate I made.

Here is a closeup of the collector and turbo flange.

And to whoever mentioned a kit that puts the turbo underneath... nothing wrong with that as there is some space there, however one MUST put effort into running the fresh air intake to a higher point than underneath. Forget off-roading... but even in heavy rain your turbo/engine could suck in a ton of water... obviously a bad thing.

Turbocharging a big displacement engine is fun. Mostly because you don't have to go overboard to have silly levels of performance. The larger displacement engines have a nice amount of "snap" off the line anyway, giving the turbos some time to spool up and provide boost.

Last edited by frederic; 10-25-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:18 PM
SuperdutyRob
Senior User
exactly. That was definitely a good point I didn't mention. I do know some people that successfully finished a turbo swap on their v10. Of course one of the tricks is to flip the manifolds and weld up an intermediate pipe and flange. the most important issue to face is tuning it for driveability and mileage. You need to upgrade injectors and maf sensor (99 cobra ev6 39 pounders), and tackle the computer issues at a chassis dyno. There definitely needs to be a lot of thought involved with this project before jumping into.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:28 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
But of course. It's a project that's definately not of the "bolt on" variety. However, I have to say, at least from my point of view, it's well worth the effort. I'm building my second twin-turbo big-block truck (very slowly), and I cannot really count out the manhours I put into the first one start to finish, or even this project to maybe 1/5th the way completed.

It brings new meaning to the word "fun to drive". With my old truck, I enjoyed slapping on DOT-slicks and "hunting". Of course gas was cheaper then. And as long as I stayed off winding roads things were good. 75 Dodge pickups weren't known for handling. Straight line... see ya!

One thing to consider when supercharging, or turbocharging a vehicle, is to do that part last. There are a lot of other things that should be upgraded along with the power. Brakes, sway bars, etc. It's awesome fun to go fast, but with that comes the responsibility of stopping too. Remember trucks generally don't handle well AND require more stopping distance than a car to start with, because of the additional weight, thus increased inertia.

Just something to consider.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah nothing scarier than a big truck getting squirrely on ya.

I'd go for the Whipple with the weight and size of the Excursion. They are a bolt on kit with minimal tuning. Of course if ya want that pucker factor the turbos are the way to go. Wonder if I could fit twins in my '88 mustang with the 514? Oh what sweet dreams I'll have tonight....

Old 10-25-2005, 10:48 PM
SuperdutyRob
Senior User
I absolutely agree with you! I am actually in the middle of modifying one of my mustangs for a celveland motor that I am building. One of the biggest things people tend to overlook is the braking system and the suspension. Not to mention the chassis. It is a scary thing when your running 150+ mph and you try to stop, hoping you will before the track ends (which happens sooner than most would think). Turbos are definitely a great way to go. I'm looking to do a turbo setup on my truck and my cleveland mustang, but as you said, it takes a while to do it properly.