Heavy tow load modifications to my 4.2 what are yours?

Old 10-06-2005, 08:37 PM
crabhab
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy tow load modifications to my 4.2 what are yours?

I posted this in the towing forum and got zip for a response. I know a couple of V6 guys tow heavy loads. Here is my setup I am interested in what others have done to their 4.2 trucks to improve tow/load ability.

I have a 2004 Heritage Scab XL, 4.2 w/auto, 3.55 rear, 4wheel disc with ABS. I have added these items to my truck to improve towing performance. Look at my list and let me know if I am missing something I plan on towing up to about 3700#.

Brake Controller
Hidden Hitch Class IV
7 Prong Ford Factory plug that replaces the 4way flat
B&M Transmission cooler installed inline after the OEM radiator cooler
Hellwig 991 helper spring kit
K&N FIPK II intake kit

I am trying to duplicate the factory tow package for the V-6 equipped trucks. I thought about installing a heavy duty three or four core radiator. The truck only has 20k miles on it and I have not towed anything substantial with it for long distances yet. I plan on towing a 17ft hybrid or ultralite camping trailer about 3200-3700# wet and loaded. I hope to use a WD hitch with sway control on the trailer. Check out my gallery for pics of my truck with the mods installed. Truck weighs 4900 pounds on the scales with family and luggage in it. GCWR is 10000 so my total load with trailer should be about 8600 #s well within GCWR limits.

Let me know If I am missing something here. I have experience with towing small overloaded utility trailers and boats all under 2000#s short distances 10-100 miles.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:56 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you got it pretty well under control- just make sure you do a careful controller adjustment initially - want to stop as well as haul!

Old 10-06-2005, 09:20 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
and take it out of overdrive on hills or if it hunts gears.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:53 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice looking truck.

I think you'll be OK. Looks like you have a decent setup.
Towing in OD should be fine over flat "easy" terrain. Do disengage OD if the transmission starts shifting back-and-forth a lot, hunting gears (as mentioned above).

The weight should not be a real problem, but the wind resistance might come into play as you get above 55-60 mph. Heck, you might not tow much faster than that anyways.

Don't take the "no response" thing personal (from the Towing forum). Seems most guys think towing and think big trucks, F350s, duallys, etc. and sort of skip over those of us who don't plan to pull a 15,000 lb cattle trailer!

Have fun - looks like you're set for it.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:16 AM
crabhab
Senior User
Thanks for the transmission tips. I just bought a small pop-up camping trailer today so my trailer weight will still be below 2000#s. I am still glad I installed the tranny cooler and the helper springs. I had this same model trailer (coleman 2001 TAOS popup) a couple of years ago and towed it with our 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport with no cooler, overload springs or brake controller this was not the ideal towing setup on I95 south the whole rig bounced and the rear end sagged (small XJ cherokee only has two leaves per spring!!).

Thanks for the compliments!! on the truck

Old 10-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Fedds3.0
Junior User
I have the same truck, just a different color. I have pulled my boat (3600) and my freinds (4500) all over Ohio. She will not go 80 up interstate hills with the big boat (nor should you want to). I get very little sway or swag with the stock suspension using the 5000# rate bumper hitch. Only the bigger trailer has surge brakes. Stopping hasn't been a problem yet. Engine coolant temp is always the same towing or not. The tranny cooler is a good idea, but I just have the factory tranny line going through the radiator. I just plan on changing the fluid and filter every 36k.

I'm of the opition that if the truck is rated for 5500 towing then you can pull 5500 all day long. (I work in the automotive sector and the testing is rediculous and overkill). I had a 2.3L ranger auto that I pulled a 4200# boat 4 hours round trip up some hills that forced the truck to run in 2nd and 1st gear for "extended" periods of time. Did it for years. That truck had over 200,000 miles on it before I traded it and it still ran well.

IMHO, if you turn off OD and change the tranny fluid often you can run WOT with a big load with little extra wear and tear.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:05 PM
crabhab
Senior User
Well I had to my pop-up in the rain. I noticed that the rear open differential axle had a hard time getting traction in the rain. The 175# tongue weight made no difference in the suspension squat. I climbed into the bed 280# (i know I am a big dude) with the trailer on the hitch and the overload springs barely moved. I can haul all day long with my popup in overdrive (under 2000# GVWR for the trailer) but, when I have had larger trailer I have taken it out of OD to prevent gear hunting on grades.

I cannot wait to get a load of mulch in the bed now and see how hard it squats. Without the overload springs I dragged my rear mudflaps I also had a single axle utility trailer with 2.5 yards of mulch with 1.5 yards in the bed.

BTW trailer brake controllers are cool. I feel safer towing and hauling with the B&M tranny cooler.

Our V-6 Trucks seem to have ride comfort biased springs and when I added hellwig 990s the truck feels alot more like a truck and alot less like a crown victoria.

Last edited by crabhab; 10-13-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Fedds3.0
Junior User
I have the 3.55 limited slip rear end. Had the truck less that a month and the LS started to really chatter in the rain and then just stopped working. Ford replaced it under warrenty with the newer version and I haven't had a problem since. A LS rear end makes a big difference in traction.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:18 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
i don't know anything about towing, but if you are looking for a cheap upgrade on your radiator, go to the junkyard and get one for the 5.4L
It drops right in and i believe it's a 3 core, anyhow i know a turbo guy with one and his ambient temps never pass, say, 160? just a guess but i know it does quite well.

If you want more low-end grunt you could always install electric fans and maybe an underdrive pulley. Then get a custom burned chip to really let her loose.

sorry, seems like every question i answer turns into a suggestion for more power =P

Old 10-17-2005, 02:32 PM
crabhab
Senior User
Thanks for the power adding tips. I like the efan idea I hate the crank driven cooling fans. The noise and parasitic drag are obnoxious. the 5.4 radiator sounds like a good idea come radiator replacement time. With my previous Ford truck experience I have about 9 years to go.

Scott

Old 10-17-2005, 02:40 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Thanks for the power adding tips. I like the efan idea I hate the crank driven cooling fans. The noise and parasitic drag are obnoxious. the 5.4 radiator sounds like a good idea come radiator replacement time. With my previous Ford truck experience I have about 9 years to go.

well the e fan will be way louder and draw a lot of amps so the alternator will now be putting a lot of load on the engine. the stock fan setup is very efficient. you will never find a efan able to pull as much as the stock setup. the stock setup unlocks at cruising speed so it just freewheels so there is no power loss.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:32 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
well the e fan will be way louder and draw a lot of amps so the alternator will now be putting a lot of load on the engine. the stock fan setup is very efficient. you will never find a efan able to pull as much as the stock setup. the stock setup unlocks at cruising speed so it just freewheels so there is no power loss.
the great thing with efans is the low-end gain. Also, everyone but 1 person that's put efans in is putting in 2 non-shrouded fans, typically setup as pullers, with at least 2200-2600 cfm.

I know one guy with only 1 fan under the factory shroud, and is working OK.

The guy with the 5.4 radiator also has efans, AND turbo, and keeps his ambient temps below what they were stock.

My buddy with efans on an 02 4.2 sees a max draw of 40-45amps at full tilt. His big stereo pulls 90. He ran both of those on the stock alt. for quite some time, no problems.

Search this Thread