Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Looking for help---or suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for help---or suggestions

As some of you know---Blue's been having some trouble lately. For the past 5 or 6 months, I have had to fill up the clutch fluid resevior roughly every week to two weeks. However, since the weather has turned cooler---I seem to be filling it up everyday---sometimes twice a day.

Problem: Slave cylinder
Possible solution #1: Replace it myself (or with the help of some fellows from a popular Ford truck website ).
Subproblem #1: Transmission must come out---and I am without a lift, and without a tranny jack.
Possible solution #2: Take it to one of the local shops.
Subproblem #2: This requires me paying roughly $700. (which in and of itself should fall into an actual "Problem" as oppose to "Subproblem").
Possible solution #3: Continue to put it off until I have to rig up a gallon-sized resevoir and fill it up on a bi-daily basis.
Subproblem #3: Yeah, I know I'm tacky---but come on---even I wouldn't do this!

So, any suggestions??? Any of you guys think you might want to brave this job with me for a driveway job---or do any of you have, or know somebody who does (*COUGH*TIM*COUGH*) have a lift and a tranny jack??? I would be more than willing to pay somebody for use of their lift and shop for the day, but any help, although GREATLY appreciated---would probably have to be paid for by return help and---ehem---friendship??? Sorry---but money is REALLY tight right now---perhaps I could grill you guys up some steaks though???

Problem #4: I'm getting so tired of crap---it's really beginning to take it's toll.
Solution: "Smile and wave boys. Smile and wave." --Madagascar

Wow, I've got more problems than a math book---well, okay, for Ron and I (and whomever else has burdened themselves with this one!)---more problems than a college Physics II book. Read me Ron???

Old 11-21-2005, 08:42 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear ya, Stan. Though I squeaked through Physics II and am now enjoying the pain of Engineering Dynamics. An immediate temporary solution to old blues leak may be to get some good quality fluid with conditioners in it that will help restore(swell) any rubber components that may be causing the fluid loss. Where is the fluid coming out of? I've got lots of tools(air,power,hand) and a driveway that you are more than welcome to. Though I don't have a lift, I've got jack ramps and some jacks, and jack stands.

How about instead of grillin up some steaks, you put up my xmas lights on my house this year. nyuk-nyuk.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:03 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For when I have dropped my transmission, I have did it without a lift or a transmission jack. I just put the front of the truck on jack stands. I used a floor jack with a piece of wood on it to lower the transmission. It was a pretty simple task (It was an auto though, so less to disconnect). It shouldn't be too hard of a driveway fix (I have never replaced a slave cylinder, so I don't know what's involved, but the removing of the transmission shouldn't be that difficult). Good luck with your decision.

hotrod48

Old 12-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is it possible to get your hands on the slave cyl to put a kit in it without removing the trans? You may not be able to do a perfect job of it, but it might get you through the winter.