Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Who has FE power in their ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who has FE power in their ride?

There's still lots of FE powered trucks and cars out there. Which one do you have?
I'm just beginning to collect the major parts to build, hopefully, a 410/416. Thanks again to fp_5 for the 360. Later on, I'll take the 3.98 crank in to see if it's saveable. Otherwise I'll have to re-think where I'm going with the whole project.
Is anyone running an FE on propane? I'm thinking that would be a more affordable fuel to run after the vehicle is all together, etc., etc.
AL.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:49 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Few people run FE's as daily drivers because they suck so much fuel. You can't give'm away. errr , oh yah you can give them away.

I actually heard a comercial on the radio for propane conversions. I can't recall the name of the company but they claimed 50% reduction in fuel costs and $750 from the province toward the installation.

If the province is kicking in $750 the conversion must be at least twice that if not more. Wonder if they are talking about dual fuel or propane only? also wonder if they can do Carbureted engines?
I'll try and catch the name of the outfit next time I here it. Does anyone run propane that can verify the 50% claim, seems a little hi to me.

Al, have you decided what your going to put the FE into? You'll need space for the propane bottle. Maybe Matt will donate his Focus to your project?

Frank

Old 10-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Possible bodies would include; 56 Panel, 58 or 67 Ranchero, 58 Edsel, 63/4 Park Lane rag top or 66 Half ton. Aside from the 67, my theory on the 410/416 instead of 360 or 390, is more centered around torque to haul the heavy body around. And then there's trailering.
Fear of the unknown stops so many people dead in their tracks. For anybody that is even remotely interested in propane, here's a link to a forum:
http://fuelsforum.rasoenterprises.co...f9e2adf52dbf3a
It's not a real busy board, but there's alot of reading available to at least give you some basic knowledge about propane powered vehicles.
50% ???? How about 30-40% with a regular vehicle. If you were to begin a build with propane in mind, with at least 10-1 squeeze, propane would be more efficient & could get closer to that 50%.
AL.
Another link:
http://www.propanecarbs.com/examples.html
And another:
http://www.alternatefuelsracing.com/
Enjoy!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Dealford; 10-04-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:04 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
also wonder if they can do Carbureted engines

yes as that is the easiest fuel injected engines are bank to do. i run a fe and see about 15 mpg freeway.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:58 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Now Al...would you like this Tech question moved to the Alternative fuels or FE forum?

-Matt

Old 10-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
This thread is too young to be punted out to never never land.
So far the topic includes a specific engine family, a limited number of production years, several potential transplant locations, 2 different fuel types, members rides do not have to be trucks, required clarity of purpose for the engine and financial means to accomplish ones goal. Not to mention the romance that Ford lovers continue to keep up with what is arguably Fords most loved engine family and the vehicles they came in or even wound up in.
So, I have my doubts that anybody can predict which direction this conversation will go in next. There in lies your dilema. Where to put this thread before you know where it's headed.
AL.
P.S. Can you tell my last coffee just kicked in?

Old 10-07-2005, 09:24 PM
big daddy chuck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh AL there you go again , the scary part should be what will you come up with when that last coffee wears off?

chuck

Old 10-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Hands on.....

With helpers is a good way to iron out the little bugs these motors get sometimes. Sounds like an opportunity for mini FTE FE gatherings including, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, coffee!!!!!!
I'm waiting to here from Jeff (tfc) to find out what's in that 390 he's got in his truck. We're thinking there might be alot of engine hiding under that 2bbl.
Last I heard, Chuck (big daddy) was looking for a distributor for his 352. Come on Chuck. Take the tarp off that Fairlane & lets get her fired up!!!!!!
My buddy Frank(fp_5) is sitting on an FE automatic. I'll have to make him an offer he can't refuse.
AL.

Old 10-09-2005, 06:43 AM
big daddy chuck
Senior User
Yes AL your right , I'm still looking for a distributor for the FE , i know this is a ford truck site , so i'll add a few truck related things to this post so as not to upset anyone here , is it in a f100...NO , is it in a f150...nope , an econoline pick-up ...I wish ,Then where is it you ask , Well somebody found an engine bay stretcher and it now calls home a '63 Fairlane. You FE powered truck guys have got it good , but if one of you have a real skinny forearm and small hand , maybe you can stop by and give me a hand changing the plugs

Old 10-09-2005, 11:01 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Chuck, next time I go to the wreckers I'll get a dizzy for you. The place I go has more than a few. I know because I was looking for a 302 dizzy and all I could find was 360/390. Will you need the duraspark harness and all. I 'd like to get out there before the snow falls and grab a few trinkets.

I have an old Mallory dual point, but I'd like to hang on to it. Your welcome to borrow it if you just want to fire up your ride.

Frank

Old 10-09-2005, 11:38 AM
big daddy chuck
Senior User
thank you Frank , i also live in durham . (oshawa) I've been to just about all the yards in the area , and have yet to come accross a distributor for a 360/390 FE , with the yards turn over the stock regular, finding the parts for the older stuff is becoming a challenge, you can e-mail me if you want to keep the treasure chest full of "just in case parts"

tlm399@rogers.com
chuck

Old 10-11-2005, 06:17 PM
truckfarmingcanuck
Senior User
Hey guys,
I'm back from a vacation (wedding) in NB for the past week. I do have an FE-390 in my old truck but have yet to do any research on what has been done with it. The motor was rebuilt which includes a bore and new cam. It could be a monster engine or a dud I don;t know either way, I just know the ole 2BB isn't running right and vacuum is damn near zero. Anyhow I don't want to jack the thread. I'm missing alot of the details into what went into this engine but will post as the clues as they are uncovered to request help from folks that know a darn lot more about them than I do.
AS for dizzy's. I had a hard time finding one last year myself. If you do find one most of them get seized into the engine so bad that you can't free them up. All I have on hand right now is a parts one. (bottom shaft and housing are busted but the innerds under the cap are intact) PM me if these parts will help.

later
TFC

Old 12-05-2005, 08:35 AM
big daddy chuck
Senior User
distributor ? for fp_5

me ebay purchase will be here in a day or so, and i guess then i will know what i have gotten myself into , according to what i'm hearing , i may have an FT distributor on my hands , Frank , I may have to take you up on your offer to see the mallory unit you have to check side by side what the difference is in the distributor i bought , if it turns out not to be an FE,

I'll buy the tim's one night when you are free , PM me please

chuck

Old 12-05-2005, 09:24 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
No Problem, what's an FT?

Old 12-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
331 or 361.

Quick Reply: Who has FE power in their ride?