Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel mileage increase 22%

Old 10-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Black Ford XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fuel mileage increase 22%

A few at work noticed an ad local news paper, that reads device may increase fuel mileage by 22%.With a simple connection to a vacuum line the gas saver add microscopic amounts of platinum to the air and fuel entering the engine.Since platinum allows non burning fuel to burn the gas saver patinum increases the percentage of fuel burning inside the engine from 68% each gallon to 90%of each gallon.Says goverment studies concluded its saves more than the 22% they claim, up to 28%. The ad goes into more indepth and one friend called the # and they informed him money back gaurentee. the cost of the device is $100 ,size of a cassette, hooks to the pvc line and to the cannister. Price of gas now adays people are looking for things to increase mileage, arent we all? Wonder if a BRONCO 15mpg CAN REACH 19-20, FEEDBACK APPRECIATED TR

Old 10-03-2005, 08:46 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
masseysbronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
sounds good, but i'm no chemist......

Old 10-03-2005, 08:54 PM
rray32539
Senior User
rray32539 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't you think that the factory, who is in search of ANY way to increase fuel economy in its offerings, would have used this idea if it really WORKED? Platinum doesn't melt at the temperatures in the combustion chamber. If it did, your block would melt before the platinum did. If it doesn't, what happens to the platinum? I'll tell you. NOTHING! Platinum is used as a catalyst in catalytic converters, but it deals with the remaining residues in the exhaust stream when it is HEATED UP. There is no heat in a vacuum line, I'd bet there is no platinum in the device!

Save you $$$ by keeping your tires inflated properly, your filters clean, your oil changed regularly, and keep the lead foot off the throttle. THAT will save you money, not some hare-brained device.

Last edited by rray32539; 10-03-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:34 PM
cookie88
Post Fiend
cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.
Sounds like snake oil to me. People have been getting rich selling those types of devices forever....not too many of them have ever worked.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:17 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
You'll get 50% better mileage leaving the truck parked in the driveway every other week too!

Last edited by greystreak92; 10-03-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:33 PM
aurgathor
Postmaster
aurgathor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This is an interesting one because platinum is used in the CAT, so it does help burning fuel, but I can't see how they can add microscopic amounts of platinum to the air and fuel entering the engine in a precise manner over a period of time. They can make platinum powder and put it in the box, but that wouldn't last very long. If they put a solid piece of platinum there, that won't shed many (if any) particles. And since platinum is kinda expensive, I don't see them putting there much. When platinum is used as catalyzer usually there is quite a bit there (surface area) and it is stationary (don't get expelled with the exhaust gases) so from the engineering point of view, it's difficult to imagine that this work at all when the device is a size of a cassette. Even just to have a measurable effect on fuel consumption.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Will_01_GT
Senior User
Will_01_GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gas saving devices Do you mean these products ?

Old 10-04-2005, 08:21 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
MBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Originally Posted by Black Ford XLT
Wonder if a BRONCO 15mpg CAN REACH 19-20, FEEDBACK APPRECIATED TR
If your already getting 15 mpgs then you must be doing somthing right, because I don't hear people getting much better than that.
Those stupid devices have never worked, and just rip you off. If you think about it, you can pay about $400 for a good exhaust system that gives you maybe 1 mpg better and 15 or so HP, so why would a $100 product give you 5 mpgs and 30 hp? If it sounds to good to be true, it prolly is.
Your foot is the biggest problem with gas mileage, and if you want to help out gas and power add a exhaust system that you know will work, or pay a whole lot more and rebuild your engine with new cam, carb, ect...

Old 10-05-2005, 02:48 AM
aurgathor
Postmaster
Foot? Maybe. But remember, the Bronco is a fairly heavy car with a big frontal area, so careful as you may be, you can't possibly get much better mpg. I had gotten 18+ a few times, and I'm hoping to be able to get to close to 20 sometime, but I won't bet on it. I'm planning to have a better exhaust, electric radiator fan, and serpentine belt that bypasses the AC.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Black Ford XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
22% savings

When approached with this article, i am always leary fo these things, regardless of what they say..Now, i am no chemist either and told the guys at work ide post this ,to see feedback. Thanks i appreciate it. Greystreak , i though ide get more precise and indepth info since ya the guru of fte bronco forums, well one of them, , course i do believe what ya said lol.RR YES I AGREE, GET RICH SCHEMES ARE very tempting to the non researchers and the way the article reads goverment studies ,what goverment Russia? .I didnt post the whole article ,but my friend said he mentioned platinum in the (cat) converter.He also mentioned it last only 30000 miles .MBB, yes best i get is 15 on good days, and i know the foot is a gas eater or hand in some instances (motorcycles).TR

Old 10-07-2005, 10:43 PM
BroncoBill
Freshman User
BroncoBill is starting off with a positive reputation.
If it would improve your vehicle in any way, Ford would be promoting it. I fell for the $65 Tornado thing too...save your $$$ for the gas prices...

Old 10-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Artistictouch
Senior User
Artistictouch is starting off with a positive reputation.
First and foremost-engines are tested in a facility that warrants perfect atmospheric conditions and run testing using 104 octane fuel. This is what generates the avg MPG ratings and will never ring true with any automobile as it always runs shy because we cannot burn 104 octane. You need more oxygen in it pure form to burn more efficiently, that is why Nitrous gets more power and uses the same amount of fuel. Also platinum in a cat only works cause the cats reach 1-2,000 degrees because platinum is in the ceramic honeycomb to increase temperature. Dry Nitrous and nitrous in general have been investigated on concepts for research and development to see if it increases MPG ratings and not just power. This area of concern draws a very fine line. For starters, if the big 3 created the most fuel efficient cars in the world then oil would not be so valuble and aftermarket goodies would become a thing of the past. "50% +/- OF AFTERMARKET GOODIES CLAIM TO INCREASE FEUL ECONOMY" Have you ever noticed that gas prices have increased in 10-15 cent increments only to drop 5-10 cents and continue on this very predictable increase. It's funny hearing people talk about how cheap it is when it drops from 3.00 to 2.89 and now it is staying at the 3.00 mark until it rises to 3.15 a gallon. just think, four or five years ago(when I started driving), gas was found for 99 cents a gallon in my area. After 9/11 it was 1.69 and now it is 3.00 a gallon. People are driving 15 miles out of the way to save 5 cents a gallon when they burn it and then some in the drive to save. They burn 10 cents a gallon to save 5 cents on a new tank. If only people would drive the posted limit and not hammer down on the throttle as we are all guilty of it we would not be looking for ways to increase performance and economic values of our vehicles. Good luck to you if you should venture out and buy such a system. Personally, it sounds like the electronic charge rust beater that is proven not to work. If you want a system that has great potential look into the snow performance Methanol injection.

Last edited by Artistictouch; 10-08-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:03 PM
aurgathor
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Artistictouch
For starters, if the big 3 created the most fuel efficient cars in the world then oil would not be so valuble and aftermarket goodies would become a thing of the past.
I don't think anyone claimed that the big 3 has the most fuel efficient cars. In any case, aftermarket goodies are often not related to fuel economy at all.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Artistictouch
Senior User
Artistictouch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by aurgathor
I don't think anyone claimed that the big 3 has the most fuel efficient cars. In any case, aftermarket goodies are often not related to fuel economy at all.
IT IS MERELY IMPLIED. The "BIG THREE" as everyone knows, control much of the market. Why else are there ports to plug performance chips into your computer other than "PROGRAMMING"
MANY PERFORMANCE GOODIES CLAIM TO INCREASE PERFORMANCE AS WELL AS FEUL ECONOMY IN SOME CASES. FOR EXAMPLE: "PERFORMANCE CHIPS". JET CLAIMS TO HAVE AN INCREASE OF FUEL ECONOMY BUT IS NOT GUARANTEED. AH, and if I am not mistaken Ford sent mustangs to particular companies to engineer and fully design aftermarket goodies and was disguised as a design competition before the Mustang was released to the public. Chevrolet even sent motors to a smalltown machine shop as part of a private and disclosed top secret research and development of the LT5 vette engine found in ZR-1's. Hey, Nobody knows for sure what exactly what does if anything at all. If that makes any sense?

Hey...if you have kids, put that $100 in a college fund-just my final 2 pennies worth.

Last edited by Artistictouch; 10-08-2005 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:02 AM
aurgathor
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Artistictouch
IT IS MERELY IMPLIED. The "BIG THREE" as everyone knows, control much of the market. Why else are there ports to plug performance chips into your computer other than "PROGRAMMING"
Because of government regulation with respect to emission.

MANY PERFORMANCE GOODIES CLAIM TO INCREASE PERFORMANCE AS WELL AS FEUL ECONOMY IN SOME CASES.
I can claim that I modified my Bronco's fuel injection and now it gets 40 mpg.

FOR EXAMPLE: "PERFORMANCE CHIPS". JET CLAIMS TO HAVE AN INCREASE OF FUEL ECONOMY BUT IS NOT GUARANTEED.
And that is big red flag to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.