1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

At last, a step (baby step??) forward

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:32 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
At last, a step (baby step??) forward

Saturday morning rolled around and I got my necessary chores out of the way and decided that it was the day to get something done on my truck. I opened the garage door and was set to tackle it but I couldn't even see it, I looked towards my bench, it wasn't there either. No there were no burglars in the night or other nefarious plots, it was just myself and family crammig unused and as yet "too good to be thrown away" stuff into the garage.
I plowed in head first and started finding homes for things, tossing out other things, cleaning, sweeping, cussing and moaning until late afternoon rolled around and I could not only see the truck but walk completey around it. Which is a very good thing as the old Pepsi machine full of frosy malt beverages was buried over behind the truck. Of course, I had to sample a few of the previously mentioned beverages while getting the necessary tools out to tackel the current job on hand, to replace the selectro shafat seal and rear seal on the tranny.

I had located and purchased a special tool to facilitate the removal of the selector shaft seal without the need to remove the tranny pan. In all it took less than 15 minutes to remove and replace the seal. Pumped up by my initial success I moved back to the rear of the tranny and replaced the rear seal and installed the new driveshaft........WOOHOOO I actually made some progress. Replacing the selector shaft seal eleminated the last backward step and then I made two small steps forward from there (not counting the clean garage or the clear path to the frosty beverages)

I think I might finally be rid of Murphy's complete and undivided attention...............WOOHOOO!!!

Ok, ok, I'm done with my long winded rambling, but I just had to shout out from the rooftops that I actually got something accomplished

Thanks
Bobby

Old 10-03-2005, 04:38 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations! On getting something accomplished (Or atleast moving forward). Our shop is always dirty, I clean it one day the next its dirty. Keep moving along, even if it is a little slow.

hotrod48

Old 10-03-2005, 06:41 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Super! Sounds like a wonderful weekend!

I'm dying to know how that tool works?! Didn't tranny fluid gush out of there once the seal popped out? The seal pulls to the inside, doesn't it?

Old 10-03-2005, 08:40 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
Albuq F-1

I think that since my tranny was a little low on fluid combined with the fact that I lifted the drivers side of the truck up helped, but no, there was not a gush of fluic at all. The seal pulls out towards the outside of the tranny. The outside of the seal is approx 3/4" diam. and sits in a well about 3/4" deep. The hole for the selector shaft in the tranny side is approx the same diam. as the shaft itself so its not like there is a big gaping hole there. If you want to see what the tool looks like do a google search for KD Tools Part # 2393. Apperantly they make one for GM trannys and one for Mopars. The tool works great! like I said it took all of 15 minutes to pop the seal out and pop the new one in.
If you ever need to borrow it I'm not too far from you

Hotrod48,
Thanks buddy, it sure feel sgood to actually get something done. Now I got to regroup and see what all I need to do next and get cracking.

Thanks
Bobby

Old 10-04-2005, 09:28 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought I heard a lot of commotion coming from the NM direction, congratulations on the progress, I actually made a little myself.