1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Firewall Mounted Brake cylinder positioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Firewall Mounted Brake cylinder positioning

Hi all,

I have a firewall mounted cylinder in my 56 that a previous owner mounted. After driving it for a very short time I quickly noticed that the Brake pedal was completely in the wrong place.

I ended up having to drive by braking with the left foot. The reason being that the brake pedal is quite high up and on the left of the steering column. What this means is that when going from the accelerator to the brake you have to remember to navigate your foot around the steering column, otherwise you do what I did the first time, hit the column with your foot then panic!

So, has anyone got any tips on pedal placement etc. as I would still like to mount on the firewal when I go to Booster system, but I want to make it more driveable, the original was on the right of the column, this would be the best place for it but I just cant see how to mount it to get the pedal there.

Thanks
Lee

Old 09-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your booster clears everything under the hood, why don't you take the brake pedal lever loose and modify it to clear the stearing column. It is very common to bend them right/left and up/down depending on you needs.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:51 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Huntsman
If your booster clears everything under the hood, why don't you take the brake pedal lever loose and modify it to clear the stearing column. It is very common to bend them right/left and up/down depending on you needs.
Mine also comes down on the l/h side of the column but my assembly is from a Lincoln and has a very wide pedal/pad, makes it comfortable and convenient

Old 09-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Mine is from an 89 F150 and also is on the left side of the column, I tilted the pedal up a little and put a nice curve in it to clear the column.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:54 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I have hanging pedals and the clutch and brake pedals are on their proper sides of the column. I gauged the height off the original underfloor brake pedal pad location when setting the pedal position.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Thanks Guys,

I had a look at a few pics and have seen some very wide brake pedals that would definately make life a lot easier. i.e. not having to move my foot and a foot.

I guess I will just have a go at bending the pedal arm a bit ant sticking a wide base on it.

Cheers
Lee

Old 09-29-2005, 05:25 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Could someone explain why they can't mount a hanging brake pedal on the right side of the steering column?

Old 09-29-2005, 08:10 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
My master cylinder/booster/brake pedal assy is directly behind the steering column. I have done a bit of reshaping on the pedal arm to bring it out on the right side of the column. I cut off the foot pad, lengthened and reshaped the pedal arm, and rewelded the foot pad.
My truck is an automatic, be it right, or be it wrong, I prefer to use my left foot to brake with.

I would say that if the master cylinder/pedal assy looks good and fits with the engine, etc then redesign the pedal arm and foot pad.

Good luck
Bobby

Old 09-29-2005, 08:14 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by AXracer
Could someone explain why they can't mount a hanging brake pedal on the right side of the steering column?
I moved the booster/mc toward the outside to make room for removing valve covers and to access the balance bar and steering box

Old 09-30-2005, 06:19 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I owned a street rod years ago where the PO had installed the brake pedal on the left side so I learned to use my left foot on the brake pedal. It was a little confusing at first since my Wrangler had a 5 speed manual and I had to switch from lefty to righty according to which car I was driving. I installed mine on the left side of the column in my 48 because it fit better there. I no longer have the Wrangler so now I'm a "full time" left footed braker. I read somewhere that left footed brakers have a better reaction time. Think about it. All your left foot is doing is sitting there. It makes sense that you might be able to get your left foot on the pedal quicker than taking your right foot off the gas pedal and moving it to the brake pedal...

Vern

Old 09-30-2005, 06:33 AM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Thats an interesting thought Greatnorthwoods.

I was surprised how quickly I got to grips with left foot braking when I had too. I guess its no different to carting. I have been quite a few times and always seem to just get on with it with not too many mishaps.

I guess its just what you are used to.

I will have a good look at the position of the booster/cylinder and make my mind up on weather to move it, adjust the pedal, or maybe leave as is.
Cheers

Lee

Old 09-30-2005, 07:27 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I "automatically" left foot brake auto transmission cars I drive, and left foot brake when racing (have some issues with not hitting the clutch tho, feet too big space too small) since we use the brake more for adding weight to the front wheels and lighten the rear to turn than to slow down we can keep part/full throttle with the right foot.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
I can only suggest that if someone other than you will ever drive the truck, put the pedal in a more conventional position where a right-footed driver can find it without searching. In a panic situation, muscle memory replaces thinking.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:59 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fatfenders56
I moved the booster/mc toward the outside to make room for removing valve covers and to access the balance bar and steering box
I still don't see where that requires the pedal to be left of the steering column tho, IMHO that just requires a slightly different pedal linkage/mount. Tim, I especially can't see you making that type comprimise. One of the things that immediately had to go in my truck was the PO arrangement of a hanging clutch pedal and underfloor brake pedal. It functioned, but looked stupid as he||. Seeing a beautiful well built truck with the brake pedal to the left of the collumn would stop me dead in my tracks and asking myself "they spent all the time and effort to build this truck, why would they not put the pedal in the right place"? Reminds me of an outdoor car show I went to. A beautiful looking hotrod, highly polished custom paint, not a speck of dust on the rugs, looked under the hood at a highly detailed engine and chrome acessories, and GREEN CORROSION all over the battery terminals and cable ends! Made me wonder if the owner was that myoptic, or had he hired a neighborhood kid to polish the car, it was a small detail, but it stood out like a sore thumb in the surroundings.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:46 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
the last pic in ''floors and scoops'' gallery shows the pedal location very well, it can easily be reached with left or right foot. The steering column is a mock up by the way, I'll be using a Flaming River stainless column

Quick Reply: Firewall Mounted Brake cylinder positioning