Sponsored by:

Question about pouring Sea Foam in the power booster vacuum hose

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 01:15 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about pouring Sea Foam in the power booster vacuum hose

I want to use the Sea Foam to run through my motor before I change the oil. Since I have a 90 with EFI, I cannot just pour it in the carb. I have heard that the best thing to do is to pour it into the vacuum hose going to the power brake booster.

Questions are - should I pour it into the big vacuum hose that goes to the booster? Is that the correct hose? And second, I plan to use about a half of a can, that's how much I have left over after putting some into my Harley. That should be enough. My truck has 134K and has been well maintained. If I just pour the half can in with the engine off, will I be able to start the motor and keep it running by myself?

I want to give the engine a good cleaning. I had Sea Foam in it for the last 5K miles. I plan to do the Sea Foam in the hose thing until it stops smoking, and then I am going to put some Gunk engine flush into the oil and run the truck for a 1/2 hour or so. I am then going to change the oil with and run it for another half an hour or so, then dump that oil and change it again and put the good stuff in and change the oil filter.

Sound like a plan?

PS - I wanna do this tomorrow, so please post if you have any suggestions or corrections.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
you need to disconnect the hose from the booster , keeping it connected to the vacum tree on top of the intake. put the hose into the can it will suck the seafoam out no problem. have the motor running when you do this and just keep it running by moving the throttle body so it doesnt die. do this till all is gone from the can then shut off the motor for 5-15mins. then start back up with vac line reconnected and rev it a bunch and maybe even drive it just down the street and back. it will smoke like a mother but that is normal. then change your oil and spark plugs and your done. it would be good to have poured some into your fuel tank as well. but you can save that for another time.

Old 09-28-2005, 03:50 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I Seafoamed mine, it sucked the can dry before I could pull the hose out of the can. You might want to buy another bottle for your Harley and you can use the rest for your weedeater, lawnmower, etc.

A thought about Gunk. Put it in the crankcase, but just let it IDLE for 15 to 20 minutes top. Do not drive it. That stuff is caustic, and thins the oil. The oil should run out like tap water.

-Matt

Old 09-28-2005, 06:50 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Is it absolutely necessary to change the plugs after the Seafoam thing?

I've been running Sea Foam in my gas now and then, or else Lucas.

As far as the Gunk - yes I only planned to idle the truck for a time and then drain it. I know that it thins the oil and don't plan to drive it that way. I am still not sure about the Gunk - I am concerned about dislodging things and plugging up oil passages for one thing, although I have been running Seafoam in my truck for the past few thousand miles and it should be pretty clean in there.

I am also hesitant because you can never get all of the oil out of the crankcase and I am concerned with having a little Gunk in there thinning the new oil out. That's why I was going to refill the motor with fresh oil after the Gunk, run it for 1/2 hour or so and then dump it again and fill it with the good stuff and change the filter.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
you really should replace the plugs after using seafoam thru the intake/booster. because the seafoam is breaking up all the carbon buildup in the intake and heads and those peices and the seafoam kinda mess up the plugs. when was your last tune up anyway? it might be a good time

Old 09-29-2005, 10:57 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
you really should replace the plugs after using seafoam thru the intake/booster. because the seafoam is breaking up all the carbon buildup in the intake and heads and those peices and the seafoam kinda mess up the plugs. when was your last tune up anyway? it might be a good time
The plugs are fairly new. Perhaps I will do this before my next change of plugs.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Barrin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the benifit in using seafoam in your gas system?
like actually what does it do for the engine?
and what are all of the aplications of this material?
I am just verry curious.

Old 10-01-2005, 11:31 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Seafoam in the gas and in the oil helps to clean the carbon out of the engine. It also keeps the fuel system clean.

After reading the other thread here, where the engine was ruined after putting seafoam in through the vacuum booster line, I have decided not to do this. I don't think that the SeaFoam in and of itself ruined the motor, but still... My truck runs perfectly and the SeaFaom in the oil and gas over the past 5,000 miles has probably done a good enough job on its own. My truck had regular oil changes since new and was maintained well, so it should be clean enough in there.