1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Body Swap On A 1950 F1 Pick Up Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 08:48 PM
CLINT78
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Swap On A 1950 F1 Pick Up Question

What More Modern Frame Would Work The Best To Put A 49 Pick Up Body On ?

Old 09-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would use a stock frame with one of the many pre engineerd and prefricated IFS conversions that already exist. Maybe put and IRS from a modern vehicle I saw one truck with a Volvo or Jaguar rearend not sure which it was. I have also seen an IRS in the newer vehicles such as the Ford Escape which has a pretty narrow track width that may work. I think there are just to many ways to update the frame that have already been engineered to try and make something. I have seen professional conversion on Ford Ranger frames but you need deep pockets or fabrications skills with lots of time.

Originally Posted by CLINT78

Old 09-25-2005, 05:04 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Frame swaps is a topic that comes up regularly, try a search and you'll see, but the common advice is the same as Christopher's the best one to use is the original. Frame swap is one of the more difficult projects you can take on, easy in theory but a PIA in execution unless you are building a "rat rod" where you don't plan on using any other sheet metal.

Old 09-25-2005, 07:02 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CLINT78
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 09-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome Clint. You'll find a lot of good folks and advice here as well as answers to most of your questions.

You've already heard the general advice on frame/body swaps - it can be done but seems to be one of the most difficult projects for these old trucks. That said, you need to evaluate your skills, tools, work space, time, and budget to make a decision. I've known one fellow who could build a show-quality truck even starting with a junker. He had a lot of tools, experience, and money. Give us some more information on your experience and equipment and we might be able to provide better advice.