1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E-150 which relay is the blower relay??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:29 AM
jchea650
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goofy173
Properly sized relay contacts should not warm the prongs to the fan motor unless there is a bad connection at the prongs.

After a discussion in the shop here (we're all electronic technicians) we believe that your socket may be the problem. The only sure way to check it is to check the output of the relay that is feeding the fan motor for +12v. (unless the relay feeds ground to the fan motor, which is possible)

This is me (being an elect. tech.) but I would connect the blower to the battery again, but through a current meter, and check it's current draw. If it is higher than what it should be (Ford should be able to tell you) then you will continue to melt plastic coated onnections all throughout the circuit.

Also, there could be some confusion on what everyone is saying is "hot". Hot can be that there is voltage on the terminal, or hot can mean phyiscally hot . I think some responses here are mixing the 2 meanings.

I appreciate your response. I need all the professional help that I can get. I was thinking the same thing now that I just got in from looking at the van in the shop. I think your right in that the socket has bad connections. Is there a way to pull the socket out and check the connections? I was able to pull the top plastic cover off, but I wasn't able to pull the socket out. The relay with the bad connection is in the lower left of the power distr. box. There is also another socket to the lower right that seems to be connected with the bad socket. What I am saying is that the sockets are in pairs. The pair of sockets seem to be independent of the whole power distr. box. What do you think? I don't want to damage anything else! I wouldn't think that if you had one bad connection in the pwr distr. box that you would have to replace the whole box?

Old 09-29-2005, 12:02 PM
racinrob
Senior User
hello, are u sure you got the right size fuse in the box?. it should "go" before connection unless the con has a fuselink.

my 87 electrical manual mentions a fuse link at the auxiliary blower relay. my year the front and back heater/ac fans are in the same line. the front has to be on for the back to work i think. anyway, any chance the melted wire is a fuselink?

the electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manaul is helpful and can be found on ebay. good luck

Old 09-29-2005, 01:17 PM
jchea650
New User
Originally Posted by racinrob
hello, are u sure you got the right size fuse in the box?. it should "go" before connection unless the con has a fuselink.

my 87 electrical manual mentions a fuse link at the auxiliary blower relay. my year the front and back heater/ac fans are in the same line. the front has to be on for the back to work i think. anyway, any chance the melted wire is a fuselink?

the electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manaul is helpful and can be found on ebay. good luck
On my 92 van, the back fan can be on and the front fan off, so I don't think they are on the same line.
Anyways, I didn't know that a fuse (60 amp) existed for the blower in the pwr distr. box. I pulled it out and it was blown! Now what? Can someone explain this to me. Why the fuse is blown and the relay still got hot (temp) and melted the plastic. I thought that a fuse is to blow in order to protect the different components from shorting or getting hot? (temp) Thanks!

Old 09-29-2005, 03:15 PM
racinrob
Senior User
for my year it's a 35 amp. if u have a short and a larger fuse then stuff can fry before the fuse blows.

sorry for the 1987 info, i don't have a manual for your year. 60 sounds high to me but i'm sure some one here has the info. good luck.

if u have a larger fuse, i'd check the rest of them for proper amps.