Sponsored by: Moser

73-79 mods in the 70's

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Kahuna
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scoarch
So you don't bruise your little ladys legs when slamming gears ?
Did that to my first g/f in my old 75 F250.Her knee was all red and she was crying.Was funny though the cheating little beotch deserved it.

Some of the other stuff on trucks in the seventies was
Tires:Formula Desert Dogs,Pro Trac Fat Herbies,Lee Ridge Runners,Armstrong Tru Tracs,Armstrong Norseman(which later became the Dick Cepek Fun Country`s)
Wheels:Jackman white Spokes,Cragar Deep Dish Aluminum Slotted.
Lift Kits: There were none until the demise of the Highboy and then Rancho and rough Country came along.
Other Cool Stuff: Vic Hickey Sidewinder winches ,Roll Bars,Grille Guards.
Smittybuilt Roll bars,Craig Powerplay with a graphic equalizer(you know that thing with all the slide controls that your buddy knew better than you how to adjust it because he has a great ear for sound quality)and Jensen Triaxials.

Last edited by Kahuna; 10-09-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:22 PM
garypettengill
Laughing Gas
Big tube roll bars bolted to the bed of the truck was a favorite out west. 10" wide wheels with some kind of Big 'O' tire on spoke wheels. Toppers were popular as it gave you a place to sleep on wheelin' weekends. Lift kits and multiple shocks were also popular. Remember, the Bronco had dual front shocks as an option from the factory in '78 and '79. Oh, by the way, the NRA sticker in my back window is not faded.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:46 AM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by plowpusher
... and the allways popular 8 ball shifter ****(s)
Hey, my truck has one of those! Kinda funny cuz it's an automatic. I didn't know it was a popular 70s mod. That would explain why a lot of older guys chuckle and say "Check it out! An 8-ball shifter!".

I thought they thought it was cool. Now I think they were just laughin' at me.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:52 AM
PartsKen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nobody mentioned pearl paint and custom hand painted pin stripes. I have a 78 F250 Crew Cab that I wish I could find some 8" aluminum slots and a fiberglass air dam to go with my 8 track and CB radio. Now thats good stuff.

Old 10-16-2005, 12:54 AM
doc_f250
Senior User
Stacks....ummmm I want a set!!LOL

Old 11-04-2005, 07:53 PM
OLBLUE2
Junior User
my dads 79 had snow tires(all year) a 1970 rebel machine hood scoop, light bar off road lights rotator grab handles, cb radio whip antennas gun rack with his 4 foot level in it and his confederate flag hard hat hangin there to match the confederate flag headliner he made himself. i wish he woulda kept it.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:27 AM
Pontiholic
New User
Great 16 year old thread to revisit. A few other items to add. 1) Chrome upper half headlight covers (round headlights only) so you could drive all the time with your high beams on and not disturb on-coming traffic. 2) Fuzz Buster radar detector. 3) Door window visor vent-shades. 4) Alarm System with the GM style lock cylinder (On/Off) on the front driver side fender. 5) "Keep On Truckin" Bumper Stickers and Mud Flaps. 6) Blue Dot Jewels in your tail light lenses on the Brake Light Bulb. 7) Turning the air cleaner lid upside down so kicking it down sounded cool. 8) Small FM push button (on/off) signal booster from Radio Shack.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-09-2022, 05:49 AM
2dwoods
More Turbo
Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
My 75 f150 ranger xlt 4x4 had 7" lift 38 monster mudder's ,roll bar with KC daylighters ,cobra cb with a whip,even back then my handle was 2dwoods

Old 01-09-2022, 10:21 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Originally Posted by wintremute
I think the most popular mod, late 70's anyway, was ditch the cat!
Crager wheels, redline tires, glasspacks, Holly carbs, home made rear lift blocks (some were just stacks of 2x4's put in there! ) I think I've seen tube bumpers from then.
All of this is from my future father-in-law who was a 70's gearhead (but a chebby guy). I'm just a 70's model myself
Most didn't have cats due to weight ratings. People made bumpers from 6" well casing ... or even stained hardwoods with names carved in them. Also recall rall bars behind the cab, most had no lights on them here. Grill guards, many were home made. There were both light weight aluminum toppers and heavy fibreglass toppers. Eight spoke Jackman or other wheels. Unity spotlights call "ditch lights" on windshield pillars and matching Unity fog lights. Wooden side boards, often short. Heavy hitches that were fixed, no reciever. Cherry Bombs and side exits or simple 2" stacks. Vent Shields. Visors. Hood mouted tachs.
Originally Posted by Pontiholic
Great 16 year old thread to revisit. A few other items to add. 1) Chrome upper half headlight covers (round headlights only) so you could drive all the time with your high beams on and not disturb on-coming traffic. 2) Fuzz Buster radar detector. ... etc ... 6) Blue Dot Jewels in your tail light lenses on the Brake Light Bulb. ... etc ... .
Those head light covers didn't make it easier on other motorist, the light from the reflector reflected off the inside of the cover and then reflected again off the lower half of head light reflector thus intensifying the light coming off the lower porting of the headlight relector, thus making it harder on other motoist. Radar Detectors were illegal on a vehicle on a highway along with those headlight half covers and blue dots and glasspacks (if used alone as mufflers).

Old 01-09-2022, 10:43 AM
fordrealdrive
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Deleted...

Old 01-09-2022, 11:19 AM
Mark8man
Laughing Gas
Received 229 Likes on 156 Posts
Great old thread I've never seen. Can't forget those lace on steering wheel covers from K-Mart. Instead of pipe insulation mentioned above I cut one of those steering wheel covers and wrapped the gear shifter to match the steering wheel. Couple reasons I did it....it helped cut down on gear whine transmitted up through the shifter rod and yea to protect legs in a sudden unexpected shift. Girlfriends often sat in the middle right by driver back then. Never see that today.

Doug Thorley Fenderwell headers were popular at least on highboys but like most headers there were nuisance issues that went along with them. Oh the price we paid to look cool.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:23 AM
fordrealdrive
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Deleted...

Old 01-09-2022, 01:13 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Ok so not the 70's but late 80's close enough to be cool? Cowboy rack I had one of them...and I had a home hade headache rack w/ expanded metal AND had 2 off road light and the CB antennas. Grey truck in 1984, maroon white in 84 and 85 and my 1st blue truck in 87 with all that snaz. Made the push bar in shop/welding class in HS.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:22 AM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
First truck I ever drove (in '79 or '80) belonged to my friend and was a Bumpside. He said the guy he bought it from was a police officer. It was a 1970 2WD F250 Ranger XLT or Sport Custom with a 390 and automatic, and had originally been the dark red.
Well, a previous owner had had the outside of the truck painted bright 'musclecar' orange, and then slathered with black pinstripes. The interior remained dark red. It had a Mack Bulldog hood ornament, grab handles on the B pillar, big West coast mirrors, and Yosemite Sam mudflaps, along with some small auxiliary reflectors along the sides. It wore a set of American white-painted eight spoke wheels with the little red and blue pinstripes on the rims, shod with tires which looked like they belonged on a 4WD. The front might've been lifted a little to level it out. It did sit level.
Inside it had an aftermarket steering wheel, I think a tach on the column, a shotgun rack, (which held masonry levels) an AM/FM/8 track, and little plastic cupholders screwed to each end of the dash - which had plastic bar-style ashtrays glued into them.
Under the hood was stock as far as I knew, although it's the first place I ever seen a clear distributor cap! I think it probably had dual exhaust, but it was very quiet.

It looked a lot like this, but lower and pimped out:

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, but it looked like someone had won the lottery, gotten drunk, and then pulled out the J.C. Whitney catalog...

This dude was a long-haired redneck stoner, and he left the truck like that and didn't take off any of the needless bling, which always kind of surprised me.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:26 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Originally Posted by fordrealdrive
Spring loaded cowboy hat holder mounted to the headliner supports!...yep dad had one in his '78
Reminds me ... still got mine that held my "work cover" years ago, might put it in the '77 now, between the gun racks.
Originally Posted by Mark8man
Great old thread I've never seen. Can't forget those lace on steering wheel covers from K-Mart. Instead of pipe insulation mentioned above I cut one of those steering wheel covers and wrapped the gear shifter to match the steering wheel. Couple reasons I did it....it helped cut down on gear whine transmitted up through the shifter rod and yea to protect legs in a sudden unexpected shift. Girlfriends often sat in the middle right by driver back then. Never see that today.
... etc ...
Bucket seats do have thier drawbacks. I just bought a couple more of those lace on covers.
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Ok so not the 70's but late 80's close enough to be cool? Cowboy rack I had one of them...and I had a home hade headache rack w/ expanded metal AND had 2 off road light and the CB antennas. Grey truck in 1984, maroon white in 84 and 85 and my 1st blue truck in 87 with all that snaz. Made the push bar in shop/welding class in HS.
My father in law bought a then just 2 year old '77 F-250 /400 / 4spd as I was then dating his daughter (she had a Firebird TA he traded in on the PU and she took his Toyota Celica he had bought to save $$ on drives to work at a dam project in place of a near wore out '72 Econoline), he taught me welding as we built a few stoves ... and a really heavy grille guard of 3/8" steel plate was torch cut (I got to use the angle grinder to smooth the edges some) that bolted to frame back under / behind the front bumper and had cross bars made of schedule 40 steel pipe or well casing. We built it in place, then we removed it (with his hoist) and sanded / painted it white. He used 5/8 or 3/4 bolts to bolt it to the frame.

Then he built a step for my mother in law, bolted to the frame, it was very heavy too. He also put a 1/4" steel plate inside the tailgate with angle on top to protect the top edge too, then he had truck painted by a church buddy. That tail gate was a beast. Built a very solid hitch that had braces tied into the rear frame up beside the spare. I wouldn't be afraid to bet he added 300 lbs or more to the truck. Had he built a rollbar or headache rack, truck would have been top heavy. He was often pulling a two axle trailer going to get a good deal; on some unused steel from someone who had left-over ... or a load of wood for burning. Seen that truck loaded nearly cab high pulling another load on that trailer in soft ground, four trailer tires plowing furrows. He passed in his sleep reading his bible in 1985. Once in about 1981 he, my MIL, my wife, and I (4) ... rode / drove near three hours (round trip) pulling that trailer over the Blue Ridge to my home town to get some trailer axles, tires, and steel (a friend of mine wanted to sell as he was gonna build a car trailer but bought another what was already built and just needed to sell the stuff). There we were on the way back, the four of us in the cab stopped at a little country store and sat there sipping our drinks, eating good chili dogs, my Wife on my lap beside my MIL, he behind the wheel ... was a crowded cab.

Sorry, I drifted there. My thoughts just drifted back, fond memories and all .....

Last edited by tbear853; 01-10-2022 at 11:13 AM. Reason: ]
The following 2 users liked this post by tbear853:

Quick Reply: 73-79 mods in the 70's