1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Installing stock exhaust - tailpipe route?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Narwhal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing stock exhaust - tailpipe route?

I'm installing a stock exhaust system in my '53 flattie. The front end bolted up just fine except the clamp between the crossover and the Y pipe is touching the oil pan. Don't like that, will have to try to get a little clearance somehow. But that's not my question this time.

The truck came with rotted out dual exhausts. Does anybody have a picture of the routing of the tailpipe from the muffler back and where the hangers to? The parts manual and repair manual are very poor on this. I would especially like a shot straight down with the bed removed. To complicate matters, I put in a rear end out of '65 and had to build new upper shock mounts, so the cross bracing for that (2" angle iron welded back to back to form a T) is a bit in the way. I've got the tailpipe in, but am unsure about clearance for the spare under the bed. It also looks like I have an extra curve or two in the tailpipe that isn't needed.

-Scott

Old 09-18-2005, 06:09 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out one of the aftermarket suppliers parts catalog, like Mid fifties, LMC, or Sacramento Vintage. They usually have a diagram of the original exhaust system.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you have a parts manual, you may already have this illustration.

Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2005, 06:35 AM
Narwhal
Senior User
thanks for the post, Earl. I've gotten that far pretty easily. It's the tail pipe that has me scratching my head. I can be rotated and as you rotate it the point at which the tailpipe passes under the last crossmember changes dramatically. The way that seems to be most logical has the tailpipe actually exiting the truck on the drivers side! Is that correct?

-Scott

Old 09-19-2005, 11:16 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a factory type tailpipe, it exits just behind the right rear spring, pointing at a approx. 22 degree angle and with a downward tilt. Dennis carpenter has correct tailpipes. My parts books show the tailpipe as the same for 48-52 trucks. I put an NOS Ford one on my 1950 and it fit nice. It even has the Ford part number stamped at the back end. The parts books don't really show how they're routed. You need a pic of a truck, minus the body. I'd take a pic of mine, but the body is sitting on it full of the sheetmetal for the nose!

Barry

50 F-1

Old 09-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Narwhal
Senior User
That helps, thanks. Passenger side = right side?

-Scott

Old 09-19-2005, 08:45 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As the old saying goes....... Drivers side is always the left, wether you're facing the front or in the rear. All Ford trucks exit the right side (passenger) with factory single exhaust.

Barry