What will happen if...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Got Torque?
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What will happen if...

As far as i underdstand it, Fords injection syste4m in my -88 bronco will adapt to different cams, heads and such if i convert to Mass Air.
-Up to a point at least.

My question is this; how will the stock ecu react to some boost if i do a Mass Air conversion on the system?
Will it compensate the ignition and add fuel as far as the injectors can keep up with the air that's coming in, or will the computer not recognize any boost pressure at all or just dont care about it?

The reason i ask is that if the system is a smart as i think, i will consider adding a couple of small turbo's and an intercooler to it.
The stock 351 in my car stops delivering at just under 4000rpm and i would like it to have some more grunt. I don't need it to pull to anymore than
4,5-5grand because of the 3,08 gearing and 30" tyres i have.
What i want is a really fat low/mid range and maybe 350hp.

I only want to do this if i don't have to change out much more than maybe the injectors and the pump. -Fabbing the headers will be enough work!

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance to any thoughts and suggestions.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
The stock MAF is not calibrated for boost. At a certain point (under boost), it will quickly go above 5 volts, and the PCM cannot "understand" anything beyond that. This causes the motor will go lean in a hurry. Installing an air meter that is cal'd for boost is ideal in this situation.

Changing out the injectors is an excellent idea and makes tuning much easier. Some aftermaket tuning is the best way to dial your combo in. Another alternative is a boost/timing retard and FMU if you still plan to use the stock injectors. It's not the best way to go, but it'll work.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Got Torque?
New User
Ok, so basically i need a mass air meter that has a finer voltage range or one that converts the signal to something the stock ecm understands.

I don't think i will bother with the "simple" way. Now that i know more it sounds like i would be better off doing it the right way or build my self a stroker.

Thanks for the much needed info!

/Mike

Old 09-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Blurry94
Originally Posted by Got Torque?
Ok, so basically i need a mass air meter that has a finer voltage range or one that converts the signal to something the stock ecm understands....
Yes, that and a chip that has a modified mass air transfer function.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Got Torque?
New User
I've been looking around a little for a mass air sensor i could use or a kit to do the whole conversion but they are so dang expensive.

I will look into maybe doing a conversion later on, and so far fords own kit seems to be the best value.

I better do a search here...i probably will find some interesting info..

Old 09-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Blurry94
fordfuelinjection.com has conversion harness that is inexpensive. You just need to find a mass air PCM and an air meter.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:51 AM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
If you only want to run up to.......
4,5-5grand because of the 3,08 gearing and 30" tyres i have.
What i want is a really fat low/mid range and maybe 350hp.
, then maybe a Roots style supercharger would work better for you. They run more in the rpm range you're wanting, easier then a turbo.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Got Torque?
New User
I don't know of any roots style superchargers for FI that would fit my 351W.

There probably are a million of them out there.....new to this ford business heh..

Blurry 94: Thank's for the link!!