Notices
1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

97 f150 RABS

Old 09-15-2005, 12:40 PM
3dr97150
Junior User
3dr97150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
97 f150 RABS

My 97 f150 is equipped with RABS,can someone fill me in on what this system consists of please.As in a earlier post I said my issue was that the abs and brake light came on after I started my truck,this was without moving it.The system seams to go through its cycle then a couple seconds later the lights are back on,I have learned now that it only has RABS so hopefully it'll be easier to fix?Thanks,Jeff

Old 09-15-2005, 04:47 PM
lancekilgore
Elder User
lancekilgore is starting off with a positive reputation.
it most likely is the sensor in the rear differential, but to verify this it needs to be put on a computer, the problem is it seems that Ford is the only ones with the cpu. My abs light came on and I had to take it to the dealer it turned out that the sensor was bad part from ford was 30.00. But it cost 110.00 to put the cpu on the vehicle and to clear the abs light and turn it off it has to be put back on the cpu. if Ford does it then it is a one time charge of 110.00 if you do it at home then take it back it cost another 110.00 to turn the light off. mine also came on after it sat over night. now the abs light can also come on for other problems like the brake light switch and such.
just my two cents

Lance

Old 09-15-2005, 05:01 PM
ccoram
Senior User
ccoram is starting off with a positive reputation.
Like he said the sensor on the rear diff is very bad about going out. You might as well just go ahead and get one and try it. Usually 85% of the time if its rear ABS only its that sensor. The sensor is about $30 - less than the cost of an ABS diagnostic scan. The ABS system will clear itself so there is no need to clear the code after installing the sensor.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:10 PM
lancekilgore
Elder User
I wish I would have know that, I was told that the abs light has to be cleared by the cpu. It is good to know if it clears it self.

Lance

Old 09-15-2005, 08:19 PM
ccoram
Senior User
ccoram is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah its really nice the way the ABS works - basically does a self test if you will and passes and shuts off the light when it gets all the readings it needs. Too bad the Check Engine light doesn't work like that!

Old 09-15-2005, 11:19 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.
Been there, done that.
RAB sensor was $18 at Ford dealer.
About 5 mins to install in the driveway.
No more light!

Old 09-15-2005, 11:54 PM
3dr97150
Junior User
Is there any home checks that I can do to make sure what it is?I had a mechanic scan my truck but it came up with no code and all the while the lights were on,he said ford made it so ford would have to work on these systems.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:55 AM
lancekilgore
Elder User
if the brake light and abs light are both on I would check the brake switch it would cause both to come on. Is the brake lights coming on when the brake is depressed or vice versa no lights at all. If one of those is happening then check the brake switch for a broken wire or defective. it is on the brake pedal arm or just above it. Other wise spend the 20.00 $ and try the rear sensor, if it has not been replaced it's probably going to go out soon.

Like I said unless you know someone who has the high priced scanner for the ABS on Fords you have to take it to them to scan, the dealer here cost 110.00 to scan.

Lance

Old 09-16-2005, 07:58 AM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by 3dr97150
Is there any home checks that I can do to make sure what it is?I had a mechanic scan my truck but it came up with no code and all the while the lights were on,he said ford made it so ford would have to work on these systems.
Yes. Perform the following test to properly pull the RABS DTC:

Remove the passenger side kick panel, then...

From Service CD:

Inspection and Verification

Note:
Ensure integrity of all connectors and their associated harnesses. Be sure to check for the following:

l Frayed wires.

l Loose or damaged connectors.

l Loose or damaged pins.

l Dirt or foreign matter in connections.

System Pre-Check

Note:
Perform this procedure first. Failure to do so may result in incorrect diagnosis of the problem, wasted time, and improper replacement of components.

The System Pre-Check screens a vehicle for relatively simple diagnostic repairs, such as loose connectors, blown fuses, etc. However, the System Pre-Check also prepares the vehicle for further diagnostics. In addition, warning indicator concerns are diagnosed in this test.

Note:
The anti-lock electronic control module is commonly referred to as the RABS II module. This repair procedure is written for REAR ABS II (RABS II) systems. The RABS II system is standard for F150/F250 vehicles.

The RABS II uses both the red BRAKE and yellow REAR ABS instrument panel warning indicator to alert the driver to a system malfunction. Both lights must be working properly to assist in diagnosis. The steps below must be followed prior to beginning the RABS II diagnostic procedure.

Vehicle Setup

WARNING:
PLACE BLOCKS BEHIND THE REAR WHEELS (1007) AND IN FRONT OF THE FRONT WHEELS TO PREVENT THE VEHICLE FROM MOVING WHILE THE SYSTEM PRE-CHECK IS BEING DONE.

For 4-WD vehicles, shift into 2-WD. Drive the vehicle to a level area, and place the shift lever in PARK for automatic transmissions (7003) and NEUTRAL for manual transmissions. Turn the ignition off, set the parking brake and turn on the running lamps. Place blocks behind the rear wheels and in front of the front wheels.

Release the parking brake.

Warning Indicator Lamp

The red BRAKE warning indicator is constantly monitored by the anti-lock electronic control module (2C018). If the red BRAKE warning indicator illuminates, the anti-lock electronic control module will disable the RABS II system and turn on the yellow ABS warning indicator. For this reason, diagnosing and resolving any base brake concerns illuminating the red BRAKE warning indicator will, in most cases, resolve a perceived RABS II concern.

Red BRAKE Warning Indicator Self-Check

The red BRAKE warning indicator is used to indicate a low fluid level condition or parking brake applied condition. To check this light, insert the key in the ignition switch (11572) and turn it to the START position. The warning indicator should glow in this position. If it fails to glow, go to the «Symptom Chart».

Allow the key to spring back from the START position to the RUN position. At this time, the red BRAKE warning indicator should turn off. If it does not turn off, recheck the parking brake switch to make sure that it is fully disengaged. In the event that the red BRAKE warning indicator remains on, go to the «Symptom Chart».

Yellow ABS Warning Indicator

The yellow ABS warning indicator is used to indicate a malfunction and a deactivation of the RABS II. To check this indicator, first follow the procedure for Red Brake Warning Indicator Self-Check, and allow the key to spring back from the START position to the RUN position. The yellow ABS warning indicator should perform a self-check by glowing for approximately two seconds and then turning off. If it turns back on and does not flash, then a system concern has been detected. Refer to procedures for obtaining diagnostic trouble codes. If it fails to glow, go to the «Symptom Chart».

Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Retrieving

CAUTION:
Care must be taken to connect only the black/orange stripe wire to ground. Connecting the mating connector wire to ground will result in a blown fuse.

Note:
Verify the ignition switch is in the RUN position (engine does not need to be running). Next, locate the black RABS II diagnostic connector. The diagnostic connector has two mating halves, one of which has a BK/O wire connected to it. Disconnect the two halves.

Attach one end of a jumper wire to the BK/O wire side of the diagnostic connector. Momentarily ground the opposite end of the jumper wire by connecting it to a ground for 1-2 seconds. Grounding this wire should start the yellow ABS warning indicator flashing. If grounding this wire does not start the yellow ABS warning indicator flashing, go to the «Symptom Chart».

The code consists of a number of short flashes and ends with a long flash. Count the short flashes and include the following long flash in the count to obtain the code number. For example, three short flashes followed by one long flash indicates diagnostic trouble code 4. The code will continue to repeat itself until the key is turned off. It is recommended that the code be verified by reading it several times. This code will be used later for system repair instructions. It should be written down for future use. A diagnostic trouble code 16 is obtained when the anti-lock electronic control module detects normal system operation.

////

In the event that the ring sensor is defective, you will get a DFTC of 6. As I pointed out in your previous thread, you have both brake indicator lights on so your fault is likely to be elsewhere.

Once you get your DTC, post it here so that I (or someone else with access to a service CD) can look it up for you. DTC number range is from 2 to 16.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 09-16-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:01 PM
3dr97150
Junior User
Thanks for all the help,I had the oppurtunity to visit the dealer today and have my truck scanned.Rabs valve is the culprit and at $400 it won't be having abs brakes by me,I removed the large abs fuse under the hood and that solved the red brake light problem and it works with my parking brake like normal.As for the abs light that no longer has a bulb in it.Once again thank you for all the help it was greatly appreciated,jeff

Old 09-16-2005, 09:05 PM
3dr97150
Junior User
Oh yea forgot to mention they scanned it for only $25 even knowing that I wasn't getting it repaired there!

Old 09-17-2005, 09:05 AM
lancekilgore
Elder User
Wish I had a dealer like that around here, Now you know. good luck

Lance